MUSIC: The Fox's compositions and covers. Need advice/criticism

Thread: The Fox's compositions and covers. Need advice/criticism

Default The Fox's compositions and covers. Need advice/criticism

Hey guys, I've been writing music for a while now, and I thought I'd just showcase some of my best for a little critiquing and analysis from you guys. I'd love some advice on how I can improve.

These are some of my originals:

Only Breath - Slower, Emotional sort of piece

Carpathia - A piece of film music I wrote. I tried to capture the wonder and mystery of the mountainous area in Hungary/Transylvania known as Carpathia, hence the name

Those Blues - Just a fun, edgy song with a bit of attitude

Method to the Madness - Another mellow song. I can't sing and I don't know anyone who can, so vocals are replaced by a synth

Better Day - My first proper comp'. A bit of a synth-rock/concept/idea/thingamajig I had a while ago.

And I've also done a few covers too:

House of the Rising Sun - An edgier version of a classic song. Again, vocals are replaced by a synth

Eleanor Rigby - A more contemporary cover of the Beatles' Eleanor Rigby that I did when I was bored

Let me know what you think

I am also open to suggestions as to what song you think I should do a cover of next, Pokemon music or not. Go ahead, surprise me and I might surprise you ;)

Cheers Guys,

The Fox
    Last edited by UmbraFox; 6th July 2012 at 05:09 PM.

Awesome Sig by the one and only Princess Crow

Blog Entries

Default Re: The Fox's compositions and covers. Need advice/criticism

Those are some pretty good compositions. Even though there isn't much variety in the songs in terms of the emotions being conveyed (and instruments as well, but it's just a preference for me, so never mind ^^), they still are very catchy and fun to listen to. Especially Better Day.

However, you need to work on the mixing a bit more. For example, in Only Breath, the bass reverb is drowning the rest of the song out. I never used to mix songs much before, but it really is important. It helps bring out the best in a song.
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Default Re: The Fox's compositions and covers. Need advice/criticism

Thanks for that JJM.

I originally had the bass a lot quieter than it is, but I felt that I could not get a full enough sound, so I increased it a bit, but I agree, I think I put it too high.

Any tips on how to convey emotions better? I'd like to improve in that aspect as well. It's always been a weakness of mine.

Once again, thanks for your help

Awesome Sig by the one and only Princess Crow