• 1 Post By CrackFox
  • 3 Post By Sunburn
  • 4 Post By TPJerematic

Thread: Behind the Lens [Photography Thread]

Blog Entries
    Follow Cariad On Twitter Add Cariad on Google+
    Follow Cariad on Tumblr Visit Cariad's Youtube Channel

Default Behind the Lens [Photography Thread]

Behind every photograph is a story, and behind every story is an even better photographer! Here's the place to share your photographic talent, whether it be of landscapes, animals, or something completely random. Feel free also to share your story to complete the photograph, no matter how boring it may seem.

Here is also a place for discussing your favourite photographs by other photographers and photographers who inspire you. Have you ever found a photograph that motivated you and you've never found a place to talk about it? Well, here's that place.

Please note that pictures of yourself belong here, pictures of you as a child belong here, and photographs of your pets belong over here.

Also, if you're posting a picture of another person, remember to ask for their permission first, and if they do not wish for the photograph to be posted here, then do not post it. Please also keep images of people tasteful. Sources for images are incredibly useful, but only required if the person you found the picture from asks for permission.

To kick the thread off, here's a photograph I've always found heart-wrenching. It's a stack of suitcases taken from victims of the holocaust in WW2 in Auschwitz, which is currently on display for visitors there now. Just from this photograph, you can almost see the hundreds of people sent here. It's strange how much a photo can make you feel.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Re: Behind the Lens [Photography Thread]

This photo would likely have been much better if I hadn't taken it out of a window, and with my iPhone, but nevertheless I'm impressed with myself for how nicely it came out.

It's a picture of Kenmore Square, in Boston, with Fenway Park easily visible.

Caprizant and CrackFox like this.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

ღ Still Counting ღ Caprizant's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Caprizant on Tumblr

I absolutely love photography. I could take pictures or look at pictures all day if I had the chance. Unfortunately my photographs usually come out all blurry and fuzzy and what-not, usually because I'd use a cheap camera or my old iPod's built-in camera cuz it's all I had with me. I really need to get a decent camera someday.

Anyway, I managed to find one pretty decent photo from my class trip to Washington DC last May, of the Lincoln Memorial. (Warning: Pretty big image.)

Many of you may recognize this photograph, by Jeff Widener:

That is Tank Man, an anonymous protestor who brought a column of advancing tanks to a halt just by standing in front of them in Tiananmen Square in Beijing, China on June 5th, 1989. The tanks were there to forcibly remove the Tiananmen Square protestors. He was holding two shopping bags. Reportedly, he even climbed onto the first tank and had a short conversation with the driver, after they had made repeated attempts to go around the man. Then, the tanks started up again, having been shut off during the conversation, and the anonymous man leaped back in front and took his position blocking the tanks again. Here's a wider shot of that same incident, taken by Stuart Franklin:

That many tanks, and all it took was one man to bring them to a halt. You really have to see those photographs to even get a small understanding of what this incident must've been like.
    Cariad likes this.

"Cheer up baby, it wasn't always quite so bad; for every bit of venom that came out, the antidote was had."
    F&GRulesLast.fmTPPSDaveVriskaKurlozRoseRoxyPorrimUser TitleLocationQuote

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

In terms of more photos of my misadventures in Boston, this wasn't as good, but it amuses me. A silly bit of vandalism found in the Hynes MBTA station. Taken a couple months ago, but I went there tonight and it was still there!

(Yes, our subway does really stop running that early! One of the worst things about living here.)

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

I haven't been able to do any serious photography in a while mainly cause I don't have a camera that works. Though I have tons of photos from when I used to do it all the time. Don't have time to post all of it now so I'll post a few at a time.

Probably one of the most pictures I've token. One of my neighbor's have a tiny bench in front of their house. Taken with my iPod and edited on Instagram. Yeah I was one of those people back when I took this almost 2 years ago.

In my Advanced Art Class I took senior year of high school, we had a art showcase as a final project. Each of us had a theme we could choose and I went with a Japanese Culture theme. So one of the things I did was took a picture of a bowl of udon noodles which represents their food. The best part was being able to eat udon in class. :)

I call this one The Windmill of St.Louis. In my city, St.Louis, there's an area called Bevo Mills and it's basically the Dutch- neighborhood in our city. One of the main attraction is a restaurant in the shape of a Dutch-windmill. It's near where the high school I went to is , so one day after school I took this.

Blog Entries

It's a picture of Kenmore Square, in Boston, with Fenway Park easily visible.
    Looks great! I can't help noticing the massive Game of Thrones billboard XD

Blog Entries
    Add Sunburn on Facebook
    Follow Sunburn on Tumblr

Here are a few pictures I took from my trip to the UK and Ireland this past Summer. Both of these are from Scotland; I hope you enjoy them!

This one was taken in Glen Coe and is one of my favorite landscape pictures:

This is one of the many pictures I took of Balmoral Castle; I might post more later:
    Oremor, CrackFox and Paperhorse like this.

Photo ALL of the Pokemon TPJerematic's Avatar
    Follow TPJerematic On Twitter

As a photography student, I feel that this thread is relevant to my interests.

I'll leave a link to my DevArt account here: TPJerematic on deviantART In case anyone wants to see some more.

And for some arts.

Blog Entries
    Add Sunburn on Facebook
    Follow Sunburn on Tumblr

Here are more pictures from my trip, and a few from other areas :D

This was taken in an old Abbey in Edinburgh, Scotland:

Horses in the Irish National Stud:

This is a picture of my front yard; I live across from an apple orchard that is no longer maintained. You can still pick apples from the trees but the chances of them being of poor quality/infected are higher than in the orchard beside my house (which is still maintained).

And finally, this is a picture of my dog, Midnight (she's a Black Lab):

I hope you enjoyed these! :) I'm certainly not a professional or anything but I do think that taking pictures is fun.

Blog Entries

I love taking photos. I have lots that I have taken around my town which I might upload at a later date. I'm no photographer but I do love these pics. They were taken at a zoo I visted last year in the Lake District in England. Animals <3

Blog Entries
    Add Sunburn on Facebook
    Follow Sunburn on Tumblr

More pictures! :D

A very ornery Argentinian miniature horse at the Irish National Stud:

One of my favorite signs from the Japanese Gardens in the Irish National Stud:

Taken between Glasgow and Edinburgh, I'm not sure where exactly I was but I liked the landscape:

Blog Entries

@Sunburn; Great pics! Very atmospheric.