Youtube Embedding - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Youtube Embedding

Blog Entries

Default Re: Youtube Embedding

I thought it would be something like that Axle, thats what they want to do over here but the stupid government are blocking the motion.

and cairo, put it in spoiler tags of your that worried, then it isn't loaded till you open the spoiler, or better yet...get a compuetr, a mobile device is not suitable fro browsing the web (sorry, but thats just my opinion).

You obviously use a mobile but why should the majority of users miss out because you and a few like you want faster loading times on an inferior device?
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    and cairo, put it in spoiler tags of your that worried, then it isn't loaded till you open the spoiler, or better yet...get a compuetr, a mobile device is not suitable fro browsing the web (sorry, but thats just my opinion).

You obviously use a mobile but why should the majority of users miss out because you and a few like you want faster loading times on an inferior device?
    Everything in a spoiler is loaded when you load the page. That is why spoilers aren't allowed for signatures as the content in the spoiler slows things down.

Why can you not simply click on a link? As I said, how does this idea increase productivity around the forums? What use do we normal users have of embedding videos? Why slow things down for some of our users, harming our audience and viewer experience, for something so trivial along the lines of "nah, cba to click on a link"?

Edit: Any video deemed important can be posted by moderators as they have the ability to do so. Again, why would a normal user need to post a video? That's what would justify this idea in my mind.

Find Me On The Youtubez SaffronGamer's Avatar

As its already been mentoned, it would cause the page to take too long to load. and spambots galore too, they're probably find someway to post advertizements with videos. and the copyright laws would be broken, since many members would post gameplay videos, many of which are made with illegal devices.

So as much as id love Posting Youtube Video, I have to vote down.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by pman View Post
    Cairo is right about spoiler tags, their contents are loaded when the page is loaded (though a frame for embedded YouTube video isn't that load heavy, since the actual video starts buffering only after you press Play).

Also, we do not discriminate users by their connection type or choice of device/browser. It's great if you have a computer, but take into account some do not want to buy / cannot afford desktop PCs, so please don't base your arguments on that, thanks.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

i dont think its a good idea. We have enough problems with lag and we dont need to be DMCA'd. In fact some people do this to bully people on YouTube to be mean, not because they've really broken copyright. YouTube is full of trolls, lets not bring them here. DOWN

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Posting a link doesn't get attention to it. Posting a video in the middle of a tl;dr post does. I say UP
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

DCM
    Blog Entries

I haven't seen a legitimate reason for allowing YouTube videos. Why would you need them?
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Blog Entries

Also would you want them forum-wide? Why or why not?
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

If the idea was to go through, it would be a no from me for the animé section.

The episodes are subject to copyright, the music is subject to copyright and while TvTokyo uploads the previews onto their own channel, no one has ever had a problem with not clicking on the link after it is posted in a thread.

There doesn't seem to be anything about the animé that you could post which isn't against the rules apart from some not-so-funny meme.

As for the other sections, I have no idea. Though I would say that for battles if you can obtain a log (online simulator) then that should be posted instead of a video.

Up

Where appropriate it will make viewing videos much easier, whereas I'd normally have to open a Youtube link in a new tab or new window. I know this doesn't take any effort but it would be nice in some cases to watch a video without having to navigate different tabs/pages.

There are many videos which could be embedded which don't infringe copyright such as episode previews from TV Tokyo's channel, gaming site reviews etc. It also allow users to promote and raise awareness of their Pokemon LPs/vlogs.

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post
    I haven't seen a legitimate reason for allowing YouTube videos. Why would you need them?
    Yes we don't need them, just as much as we don't need html color codes. That doesn't mean they wouldn't be a nice feature in some instances.
    Last edited by DCM; 24th February 2011 at 05:18 PM.

Blog Entries

Thumbs up Re: Youtube Embedding

I vote UP. I've always wanted this.
    I don't always resist, but when I do, it's with The Resistance. Stay resistant, my friends.
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Defense
    After all, what is a Resistance member if he doesn't resist?

Wooper will do the trick! Woopsy's Avatar

DOWN just at links...

DCM
    Blog Entries

Things should not be added just because it'd be nice. Things have to serve a purpose. And I see no real purpose to adding YouTube Embedding
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Blog Entries

i vote UP for this - reasons why: i've never had a problem on any other forum with it (although my connection isn't terrible) & after the initial novelty wears off it gets used rarely but effectively

it would be great for posting tutorials for complicated game mechanics & recorded battles - a picture paints a thousand words (even better if said picture moves...)

autoplay is annoying but you just adblock the word & that's solved

on a personal level i don't care & tbh links suffice but it does seem weird for a forum not to have the function added

here's an idea - how about just giving mods the ability to embed vids? is that a viable option?
    yo son

facebook lastfm twitter ytmnd

also, 3DS FC: 3153-3959-7484

DCM
    Blog Entries

We already have it

W.W.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast