Use the Bulbagarden IRC Chat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Use the Bulbagarden IRC Chat

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Default Use the Bulbagarden IRC Chat

I got this topic idea from Smogon and I think it's a great idea so I'm stealing it. Also, I'm taking this time to clarify #bulbagarden rules.

[Note to admins: sticky plz]

1. Getting a client

You need a client to connect to IRC. If you don't want to bother with a complex client or you're not allowed to (all IRC programs I link to are 100% safe, btw), you can use the java chat by clicking this link.

If you ARE willing to use a more complex client (which, btw, I recommend), I suggest the following:

Windows: mIRC
    Linux/UNIX: XChat
    Mac: XChat Aqua

(There is a version of XChat for Windows, some people prefer that, not sure why, but this is up to you. I'm better when it comes to helping with mIRC.)

Download the installation file and run it. Answer all the questions and run the program. mIRC will require a name, an e-mail, and a nickname (the name and e-mail need not be your real name and e-mail if this is a concern), I assume XChat is similar.

2. Connecting to IRC

If you're using our java chat, this is simple - simply press the "Join Chat" button. You will automatically be connected to our chat (assuming port 6667 is not blocked by a firewall; if you can't connect, check any firewalls and routers.) Your forum name will be entered as your nick; any illegal characters will simply be removed (i.e. Pokémon becomes Pokmon, as Water Pokémon Master has found out.) If you're not a registered forum user, your name will be set to BMGfGuest###, where # denotes a random number.

If you're using an IRC client listed above, you'll have to enter:

/server irc.systemnet.info
    (upon connection)
    /join #bulbagarden

Then you just start chatting! Note that the chat may be inactive at certain times - this is unavoidable as the chat is still in its infancy. Simply wait until people become more active, particularly at hours that would be late for US residents.

3. Registering a username

Like BMG forums, registration in the chat is optional; however, it is highly recommended. This will keep other users from stealing your nickname. Further, if you come consistently and are active, you will be recognized as a chat contributor and be given a voice (+v). In order to make this permanent, you will need a registered username.

To register, type:

/nickserv register password e-mail

where password is a password of your choosing and e-mail is your e-mail address. Note that, like with mIRC, your e-mail need not be real; HOWEVER, it is RECOMMENDED that it is real, for the reason that, if you lose your password, it is easier for Dejatoons staff to retrieve it for you.

Later, when you connect to IRC, you can identify to your username by typing:

/nickserv identify password

where password is the password you registered with. If you have a voice, it will be automatically applied when you identify.

4. Rules of Bulbagarden chat

Like the forums, #bulbagarden chat is very lax on rules. This is mostly an extension of my personality and experience with IRC and what is really worth dealing with.

1. Like on the forums, SWEARING IS ALLOWED. This includes anything up to shit and fuck and whatever else. However, this does not apply to blatantly racist terms (n***er comes to mind), and I expect some restraint.

2. Flooding (streams of messages in a short amount of time with the intent of disrupting conversation) is NOT allowed.

3. My general opinion on spam and advertising is that I could care less; it never works and it's easier to just ignore it than to be a dick about it like certain other channels. However, if you're just there to advertise your channel, expect to get some shit or even a ban. Bulbagarden is for chatting, not to pimp your site (or channel). The good news about this is, if you want to paste links or channels in the chat, you won't get auto-banned like in certain other chats that I won't mention.

4. As a rule, unlike certain other channels, I tend to look the other way about certain exploits in other channels. If you're going to be a jackass in someone else's channel, it's their problem, and if you're a jackass in a network channel, well, you're not going to last long anyway. EXCEPTIONS: if you're a known flooder or a spambot, I have no tolerance for that sort of thing. I may make other judgement calls if necessary, but I mostly wait until you become a nuisance for MY channel, and then I take action.

5. This should really be common sense and applies to the whole internet, but if you get a link from someone you don't know in private message, DO NOT CLICK IT. Report it to an op, especially if the link ends in .exe or .com. These are often trojans or viruses. Similarly, if you get a message with "$decode" in it, don't execute it. These are invariably methods to screw up your computer.

6. Trolling is allowed IF IT IS FUNNY, if you have a good gimmick and I enjoy your presence, then I'll play along. On the other hand, if you're just being a dick for your own pleasure and you're not enjoyable at all, then you're gone.

7. Don't voice/op beg. This is a standard IRC rule, but I'm saying it here for newbies. You get voice and op when I say so - never sooner. Voice is easy to get, just be a respectable chatter (no, I don't voice idlers, sorry). Eventually I'll notice you and give you what you deserve. Op is VERY difficult to get, I do careful profiling of all the people I give ops to, and they're all people who I believe will carry out channel justice in the way that I have laid down. People have been going to Bulbagarden almost since its creation and not gotten op; it's not that I don't like them, but more that I feel that they aren't fit for it. And no, idlers won't get ops handed to them either.

For the most part, the rules can be summarized as follows: don't be an asshole. Bulbagarden is a fun chat, and I like to keep it that way. If you're being a sadistic jackass, that's not fun for anyone, and I don't tolerate that, not from anyone, least of all my ops. I believe in open communication; if there's a problem, I want to hear about it (unless it's stupid and/or bigoted.) I encourage people to join and be respectful to others, and in that way be respected themselves. The bigger #bulbagarden gets, the better it will be (assuming the usual idiots are dealt with); and I want everyone to at least give it a chance.
    Last edited by Ghost; 15th October 2011 at 10:40 PM.

Merciless Goddess Misty's Avatar Retired Staff
    Trophies

Okay, so, I have decided to make rules with respect to scripts that respond to text with text IN THE CHANNEL (scripts that notice/message people are not affected). Here they are, pretty simple:

1) Bots are okay to do as they wish, including ignore the rules below - if they become a nuisance, they will be temporarily banned. If you ignore these rules, you will be treated as a bot and banned as needed.

2) All scripts need a prefix trigger, like !. (Think !voice <nick> or !nature.) This makes it impossible to set off script chains.

3) All scripts need flood protection, to avoid flooding.

4) Script output should be one line.

5) You cannot use the same trigger as someone else. If you and someone else have a script that is triggered by "!blame", for instance, one of you needs to change it.

So yeah, that sums it up. If you have a script like this, feel free to read the following section about rule #3.

Flood Protection

Let's say you have this script.
    Code:
    on *:TEXT:!poke:#:{
      msg # Don't poke me, $nick $+ !
    }
    Let's assume that nobody else has this script, so it follows rules #2, #4, and #5. Assuming you're not a bot, you want to bring your script into compliance with rule #3. How do you do that? You'll need to add some lines.
    Code:
    on *:TEXT:!poke:#:{
      if (%aaa == $null) {
        msg # Don't poke me, $nick $+ !
        set -u5 %aaa $true
      }
    }
    So what does this do? When the script is activated, it checks to see if a variable %aaa doesn't exist (i.e., == $null). When the script is first used, the variable won't exist, so the script is used normally. Once the script goes off, it sets the variable %aaa for 5 seconds (the -u5). If someone attempts to use the script again before the 5 seconds are up, the script will detect that %aaa exists and not execute.

To sum up, scripts should look like:
    Code:
    on *:TEXT:!trigger:#:{
      if (%temporaryvariablename == $null) {

; Script here
        ; ...
        ; ...

; N = number of flood protection seconds
        set -uN %temporaryvariablename $true
      }
    }
    Each script can have a different temporary variable, although you're free to use the same one for all - that means that, if one script is used, then none of your scripts (that use this protection) can be used until the time is up.

Lightbulb An IRC Primer.

An in-depth IRC Primer for new and seasoned users to IRC and #Bulbagarden alike.

Q: What is this and why should I care?

A: Well, as I said, this is my first post so I am not that much acquainted to the forum members here. Although, I have been going on the IRC channel frequently, as I am fairly experienced in IRC in general and in specific, mIRC. I am building this IRC primer to educate some of the rather "green" IRC users, or new users to the client mIRC. This is somewhat going to be a long reading, so if you are going to take time to read it (Thanks!), you have been forewarned.

Disclaimer: You may be bashing your head into a wall and realizing disbelief. Don't worry, learning IRC is challenging to do but is well rewarding in the end, if you have further help you can always ask someone in the IRC channel.

Q:What is IRC?
    A:So, I see you wanted to read more, good choice. First off, IRC is:

"Internet Relay Chat (IRC) is a form of real-time Internet text messaging (chat) or synchronous conferencing. It is mainly designed for group communication in discussion forums, called channels, but also allows one-to-one communication via private message as well as chat and data transfers via Direct Client-to-Client."

In lament terms: A chat client, similar to a forum but your "responses" to a user, is in real time, so if they are looking at the screen, it will be displayed right away, for the whole "channel" or "chat" to see.

Q: Wait, why should I care about this Primer?
    A: Well, IRC is very fun, it lets you communicate with people easier, faster, and I feel like it's alittle more exciting then some forums. (Not this one, of course!) This Primer well get you more familiar with IRC, so you are not totally confused when you get onto the chat or on an IRC client like mIRC. This will cut down on the amount of questions, and more time chatting! (Yay!)

Q: How do I get to #bulbagarden?
    A: Well, the forums have a nice function where if you do not feel like downloading an IRC client, you can use the Java chat client in your browser, of course you will need Java to run this. How to get on Java? Click "IRC Chat" on the upper navigation bar on top of the forums.

If you are not already on the channel on the Java client, type:

/join #Bulbagarden

OR

/j #Bulbagarden

Q: How do I use mIRC?
    A:Once you install mIRC on your computer from their website,

Run it, you will get a pop-up box saying "Options" - Fill it out with the correct information. Hit OK.

You will hopefully see a blank box. Move your cursor over to the box, and in the text area, click it. You will see your cursor flash, indicating you may type something.

To connect to Bulbagarden type:

/server irc.systemnet.info -j #Bulbagarden

(As a sidenote for mIRC help you may join #mIRC on SystemNet, where the #Bulbagarden chat is, just type /join #mIRC to get there, this channel is approved by Misty and the SystemNet Administrators.)

Q: So, you're at the channel, now what?
    A: First off, choose a nickname that best represents you, this can be any nickname that is not already taken (Registered to Services, This will be explained later in the Primer) or in use (someone is already using it). You will know if it is in use if your nickname does not change, you will know if it is taken if "NickServ" /notice's you about if it is yours, enter your password, if not then change it.

To change your nickname type:

/nick NICKNAMEHERE

-- Wait, what is a /notice?

A notice is a piece of information that is private and cannot be seen by other chatters sent from a person to you, It will look something like this:

"-Misty- Hey, Phoenix!"

The notice is in the form of:

"-Nickname- Message"

If your nickname is taken, then you will see:

-NickServ- This nickname is registered and protected. If it is your
    -
    -NickServ- nick, type /msg NickServ IDENTIFY password. Otherwise,
    -
    -NickServ- please choose a different nick.

Q: What are "Services"?
    A: Services is a set of pseudo-user clients, they are computer clients that help manage the IRC. Such as, keeping people off your nickname, and other various things.

Q: How do I register my nickname?
    A: So you want to register your nickname?

Well, first you need to type:

/ns register PASSWORDHERE EMAIL@HERE

You will need to remember your password for later use and to get onto your nickname, your E-Mail is there to mail you incase you lose your password.

Once this is done, your nickname is registered, good job!!

Next time you come on IRC, you will have to identify to NickServ for your nickname, or else it will change it.

To do this, type:

/ns identify PASSWORDHERE

* Important Note: You should probably type the above, when you identify to your nickname via NickServ, in the STATUS window, so in-case you forget the '/' before it, your password will not be broadcast-ed to a bunch of users.

Q: What are some other IRC commands?
    A: Well, there are many, but here is some basic ones that are useful:

/ignore *!*@host.of.nickname - This will ignore all messages from the person matching the hostname that you have entered. What is a hostname you ask? It is a part of a persons IRC address that identifies them, it will usually reveal their ISP. How do you find this out? Well that brings us to our next command:

/whois nickname - /whois means "Who Is", so you are finding out information about someone, like for example, their host, channels, and such. Here is what a /whois on me will reveal:

Phoenix is Phoenix@mythical.firebird.melts.ice.cream¹ * shining winged goodness
    Phoenix is a registered nick²
    Phoenix on +#bulbagarden³
    Phoenix using lava.systemnet.info Mount Garben is at Landing burning your base!
    Phoenix is using a Secure Connection
    Phoenix will you give you a can of SETYOUONFIRE
    Phoenix End of /WHOIS list.

¹ - The "host" of the user.
    ² - Tells you if the person is "registered" to Services
    ³ - Tells you what "channels" the person is on

- The other stuff is really not important, but I just wanted to show you a real whois.

So if you wanted to /ignore me, you would type /ignore *!*@mythical.firebird.melts.ice.cream

My host is "virtual" - once you have registered your nickname you can get a virtual host or vHost, to hide your real host, you can join #help to request one of these. Once you identify to Services, your vHost will automatically activate.

To join #help, type:

/join #help

OR

/j #help

Q: What do those symbols next to those nicknames?
    A: If you join the channel, you will see people on the channel with symbols next to their nickname. So what are they?

Voice/VOP (+) - These users are chosen at the owners' choice, they are given from being active, respectful, and helpful to users.

HalfOP/HOP (%) - This is not a full OP, but has limited powers of one.

* An OP is a user who has special powers in a channel over regular and voiced users, they may ban and kick people among other things. They usually regulate and keep the channel in line.

OP/AOP (@) - A full OP, can ban and kick among other things.

SuperOP/SOP (&) - A higher rank of OP.

Owner/QOP (~) - This user owns the channel, there might be acouple of these users, they add people as OPs and Voices, ban and kick people, among other things.

Q: What is ban/kick?
    A: A ban is a mode placed on someone to keep people under their IP off the channel. This is normally done for rude behavior toward users in the channel, they cannot get on the channel while the ban is in place. If you get banned, do not whine about it.

A kick is a feature where you get forcefully "booted" out of the channel, you will leave the channel and not be able to see anything happening in the channel until you rejoin. (Unless in the event you are banned, read above.)

Q: What rules do I have to obey by in #Bulbagarden?
    A: Well, the rules of the channel are based from the Forum rules, you cannot be too rude, disrupt the channel, flood the channel, send nonesense spam, and what-not. A further explanation is available here.

Q: So, now what?
    A: Well, I think I pretty much covered everything, if you have any additions feel free to contact me via on the forums (PM) or on IRC. I hope this Primer helped!

/Edit - 1/03/10 - Fixed some formatting, updated it a little bit. ~Haunter
    Last edited by Desolate; 3rd January 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Blog Entries

Follow hurristat on Tumblr

Default Re: An IRC Primer.

Very good. As a frequent IRC user [and sadly an infrequent visitor to #bulbagarden], this is a very good primer. It covers all the bases necessary to get started, and probably helps with newbies to the channel.

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

LOL, looks good to me~ But, your color tag is either (A) wrong or (B) dysfunctional!
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Updated.
    Last edited by Desolate; 4th January 2010 at 04:40 PM.

Default Re: How to use the Bulbagarden IRC chat

I'd like to join the chat, but I get this error.
    Unable to connect : java.security.AccessControlException : access denied (java.net.SocketPermission lava.systemnet.info resolve)
    Can anyone help me please?
    I'd prefer not to download the client since it often times takes up a lot of space.

Vintage Sketch's Avatar Archives StaffBulbapedia Staff
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to use the Bulbagarden IRC chat

The client is not that large...

Update:

1/4/10 - A useful command I forgot to add. If you wish to "leave" or "part" a channel without leaving others or exit the client (/quit'ing), type /part #channel

Of course, replace "#channel#" with the actual channel you want to "leave"/"part"/"exit". In addition, if you want to re-join the channel, type /j #channel or /join #channel - Again, replacing "#channel" with the real channel name, respectively. Happy IRC'ing!

IRC Chat's kinda confuse me.

ok ok, that's alot of text but think I got trough it.

Ty for taking the time into this : D

wow, that's very detailed! this has helped me a lot - thanks for the info!

Yes thanx!

How do you make a profile picture

May Still Have Hope TeamGalacticMercury's Avatar

You don't. I use it all the time. You just have a name.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast