Splitting the Anime Section into Two Parts

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Splitting the Anime Section into Two Parts

Blog Entries

Default Splitting the Anime Section into Two Parts

The first part would be for threads discussing the current saga (BW), while the second part would be for threads discussing past sagas (OS, AG, DP). The past sagas area wouldn't be for previews/reviews for which we already have a subforum; it would be for topics discussing past characters, Pokémon, etc. that don't pertain to or aren't included in the show now.

An example of how this would be helpful:

User 1 creates a thread discussing Misty's time on the show. User 2 posts in the thread, saying, "Not another one. You know this is going to get closed."

In the past saga area of the anime section, users could create threads discussing such topics without having pointless posts and could actually spur meaningful discussion. This isn't to say the same types of threads should be made over and over again here; it's merely providing a place for users who preferred past sagas to discuss whatever they want about them in a place that's not predominately about the current saga.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Splitting the Anime Section into Two Parts

I think this could be a good idea as well as a bad one.

On the positive side, I think it could allow for deeper discussions that don't have users making comparisons to other sagas, as from what I have seen that happens often (eg in an Iris thread "She's not Dawn so I like her"). I also think it would please some users who only watched/choose to watch certain sagas.

On the negative side, I think it would maybe be an unnecessary amount of sub-forums, in which some of them may be unused if there isn't enough of a user pool for each one. For example, I don't really see a lot of Advanced Generation topics in the animé forum. I also think that there might be some more conflict, if users get defensive of a certain saga's sub forum, especially when at times animé forum users ask others to stop "hating" on other characters/sagas and to stop posting even though it is their right to.

So personally I'm mixed and won't vote until I hear some other opinions.

Edit: Oh, and what about threads that pertain to multiple sagas?

Blog Entries

Follow CommanderPigg on Tumblr Visit CommanderPigg's Youtube Channel

Hm...That's an interesting idea. I've thought about how that would work from time to time, but I'm reluctant to actually implement it for a variety of reasons.

For one, users are still free to go to either forum. Even though the "old series" threads are shielded from the normal anime forums, it doesn't mean that it's not subject to (for lack of a better word) "trolling."

Also, what other types of threads other than "Misty" threads can this section be useful for? Because in my experience, discussion about other past characters usually do not end as violently. I feel as if we would be appeasing the creation of a new section for a very vocal minority. But, you know, that's not really that much of an issue either. I just want to make sure that they have a wider purpose so it doesn't isolate other users.

I am concerned about the users who wish to discuss past seasons, and I do think it's unfair that they usually get the short end of the stick on bmgf. It sounds like a good concept...but I think that it might be more successful if it were an exclusive, but well advertised, social group or something.

That's just my .02; I of course don't have final justification on the matter.

"seasons change, people change"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post
    On the negative side, I think it would maybe be an unnecessary amount of sub-forums, in which some of them may be unused if there isn't enough of a user pool for each one. For example, I don't really see a lot of Advanced Generation topics in the animé forum.
    I wasn't talking about sub-forums for every saga; just one for threads pertaining to each.

I also think that there might be some more conflict, if users get defensive of a certain saga's sub forum, especially when at times animé forum users ask others to stop "hating" on other characters/sagas and to stop posting even though it is their right to.
    Isn't that already a problem, though? I don't really see how doing this would worsen it.

Edit: Oh, and what about threads that pertain to multiple sagas?
    Unless it has to do with BW and another saga, I'd say it would probably fit into the sub-forum for past sagas (which is only one rather than one for each). If it does pertain to BW and another saga, the mods would most likely be the ones to tell us where to put it.

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    For one, users are still free to go to either forum. Even though the "old series" threads are shielded from the normal anime forums, it doesn't mean that it's not subject to (for lack of a better word) "trolling."
    I don't think splitting the anime section into two parts would necessarily stop it completely, but I think it would significantly reduce the amount of "troll" posts made.

Also, what other types of threads other than "Misty" threads can this section be useful for? Because in my experience, discussion about other past characters usually do not end as violently. I feel as if we would be appeasing the creation of a new section for a very vocal minority. But, you know, that's not really that much of an issue either. I just want to make sure that they have a wider purpose so it doesn't isolate other users.
    I imagine some users who would like to discuss past sagas don't want to make threads about them currently since it would be considered "out of date". I don't know if that's 100% true or anything, but maybe we could ask some users if they'd be more willing to discuss the past sagas if there was a section for them.

I am concerned about the users who wish to discuss past seasons, and I do think it's unfair that they usually get the short end of the stick on bmgf. It sounds like a good concept...but I think that it might be more successful if it were an exclusive, but well advertised, social group or something.
    My fear with that is that it won't get used much since social groups are difficult to advertise well. Also, it would restrict users who may want to discuss something within the group but not want to join since they wouldn't be contributing much if they were only there to discuss one topic.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    I wasn't talking about sub-forums for every saga; just one for threads pertaining to each.
    Sorry, fail on my part.

Isn't that already a problem, though? I don't really see how doing this would worsen it.
    "If you don't have anything good to say about past sagas, then don't."

Er, I don't want to go too much into it but I think it could potentially make quotes like that (and similar ones) more common, especially as that is annoying for the threads about past sagas that we have now. Plus if there's a dedicated forum for it, those that use that argument (not that I personally think it is one...) might believe that they have all the more reason to say it.

Unless it has to do with BW and another saga, I'd say it would probably fit into the sub-forum for past sagas (which is only one rather than one for each). If it does pertain to BW and another saga, the mods would most likely be the ones to tell us where to put it.
    Oooh, I see. I guess what goes where would be decided by the staff if the idea goes through.

I'm more leaning towards voting up then I was before, but to play it safe I will wait for some opinions, especially if the staff feel that there is a problem with some debates about users telling other users not to post or if there isn't one.

Blog Entries

"If you don't have anything good to say about past sagas, then don't."

Er, I don't want to go too much into it but I think it could potentially make quotes like that (and similar ones) more common, especially as that is annoying for the threads about past sagas that we have now. Plus if there's a dedicated forum for it, those that use that argument (not that I personally think it is one...) might believe that they have all the more reason to say it.
    I can definitely see how that could be a problem. However, I think that can be prevented if users who do have criticisms about the topic being discussed can post without "baiting" other users. What I mean by baiting is blatantly trying to stir up arguments or offend other users whether it be intentionally or accidentally.

This isn't to say the people who criticize parts of the show are completely at fault; I just feel that if it can be made clear that when a user posts saying they dislike a part of the show, they're pointing out what the writers did wrong rather than the characters themselves.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    I can definitely see how that could be a problem. However, I think that can be prevented if users who do have criticisms about the topic being discussed can post without "baiting" other users. What I mean by baiting is blatantly trying to stir up arguments or offend other users whether it be intentionally or accidentally.

This isn't to say the people who criticize parts of the show are completely at fault; I just feel that if it can be made clear that when a user posts saying they dislike a part of the show, they're pointing out what the writers did wrong rather than the characters themselves.
    I agree and would likewise say that for those who comment on the users rather than the arguments made in their posts. Sometimes what I see when a user does express criticsm of a character (be it that they say its the writer's fault or not), that user is told to stop posting or to stop "hating" without the points made in their post addressed.

That's why I think it could be more of a problem, because the animé forum can get a bit wild when opinions about past and current characters come to play. I think it has improved since what it once was, but with the threads being in a certain place with more focus I think it could go back to that.

I do think that I may be speaking beyond a scope of that I should though, so I'll wait for other opinions.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CommanderPigg View Post
    This, basically. This whole sub-forum would only benefit a minority of people. Vocal yes, but still a minority. Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone from posting a thread about anything old (like how it is now).
    New Track: Going Up

Winner of the Most Creative Host, Fair Hosting & Best Mafia Series Awards for the War Room Awards 2012.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Abstractedly, the question shouldn't be whether it would only benefit a minority of users, so much as whether it would be to the detriment of others (and if so, how much)

Creating a forum for a minority of users is perfectly acceptable (and something we've done several times).

That said, the above is merely a factual correction on my part, and should in absolutely no way be taken as me supporting or opposing this idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries

I don't think there's a spectrum big enough to go to the trouble. If people want to discuss old character and aspects of the show they can go to their characters club and post about stuff. There's also groups for older Pokemon fans to discuss old aspects of the anime and no one bothers to post in them. I think if anything it will cause a lot of trolling from a lot of different angles.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by J J M View Post
    This, basically. This whole sub-forum would only benefit a minority of people. Vocal yes, but still a minority. Besides, there's nothing stopping anyone from posting a thread about anything old (like how it is now).
    This is how I feel as well. People who prefer the older episodes don't seem to have a problem with making new threads on them, and I'm not seeing how this would reduce people making pointless posts or debating the user instead of the topic.

These topics aren't quite as volatile as they used be either. There was a time when any thread about Misty would get locked in two seconds due to trolling, but the latest one lasted quite a while without too much trouble.

But the bottom line is that I just don't think this would get enough use. If we had tons of topics about just the old series it'd be one thing; but many of the threads are comparisons to the new series which I feel would best fit in the current anime section.

Blog Entries

Well if Musashi and CommanderPigg don't think it would be for the best (and I think Musashi makes good points), then I'll vote DOWN (assuming that an opinion from Dogasu might not come soon due to his internet issues).

Blog Entries

Well if Musashi and CommanderPigg don't think it would be for the best (and I think Musashi makes good points), then I'll vote DOWN (assuming that an opinion from Dogasu might not come soon due to his internet issues).
    Teachers pet :P

Yep, I vote no too :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CrackFox View Post
    Teachers pet :P
    I said earlier I wanted to see their opinions on the matter. They're the ones who judge if the trolling is an issue and whether such a change would be maintainable :|

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

Being someone whose anime-related knowledge is basically limited to everything prior to DP, I'm going to UP this. I'd post more frequently in the Anime Section if the threads pertaining to what I've seen were easier to find.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast