IDEA: Rep

Like Tree7Likes
  • 6 Post By 1rkhachatryan
  • 1 Post By 1rkhachatryan

Thread: Rep

Call me Robert guys 1rkhachatryan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+
    Visit 1rkhachatryan's Youtube Channel

Default Rep

Hey there, just wanted to stop by and ask you guys to NEVER, and I mean NEVER add rep to this forum. Rep has made Serebii into an unbearable hell hole and has brought the trolls out in full force.

Sorry this isn't really an idea but I just wanted to warn you guys from experience.

All people did was negative rep anybody(anonymously I might add) with a different opinion from them and rarely gave out any sort of positive rep.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Rep

Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post
    Hey there, just wanted to stop by and ask you guys to NEVER, and I mean NEVER add rep to this forum. Rep has made Serebii into an unbearable hell hole and has brought the trolls out in full force.

Sorry this isn't really an idea but I just wanted to warn you guys from experience.

All people did was negative rep anybody(anonymously I might add) with a different opinion from them and rarely gave out any sort of positive rep.
    Personally rep is a bad idea because of how petty online fans are. The like system is much better imho.

Blog Entries
    Follow 1rkhachatryan On Twitter Add 1rkhachatryan on Facebook Add 1rkhachatryan on Google+

Quote Originally Posted by Ray Koya View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 1rkhachatryan View Post

Personally rep is a bad idea because of how petty online fans are. The like system is much better imho.
    I agree, I like the like system as it doesn't have a bad side you can't be punished because someone doesn't like you etc etc...
    Last edited by 1rkhachatryan; 16th September 2013 at 03:05 PM. Reason: Lol didn't even know I had put rep instead of like system :p
    Ben 10 likes this.

Blog Entries
    Follow はるひ On Twitter Add はるひ on Facebook
    Follow はるひ on Tumblr Visit はるひ's Youtube Channel

You do have the option of disabling your rep on Serebii.

Another reason it shouldn't be added is because of the complaining the follows it.

"Waaa only modz get reps!!11"
    "it's a popularity contest!1"
    "someone gave me a bad rap! punish them!11"

Seriously, accept the fact that the option is there. If you get a bad rep and the person who gave you the bad rep abuses it by flaming you, then you REPORT it! ;p

But this site as the LIKE button so it's good enough. Imagine if there was an UNLIKE button :o

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by はるひ View Post
    You do have the option of disabling your rep on Serebii.

Another reason it shouldn't be added is because of the complaining the follows it.

"Waaa only modz get reps!!11"
    "it's a popularity contest!1"
    "someone gave me a bad rap! punish them!11"

Seriously, accept the fact that the option is there. If you get a bad rep and the person who gave you the bad rep abuses it by flaming you, then you REPORT it! ;p

But this site as the LIKE button so it's good enough. Imagine if there was an UNLIKE button :o
    You still receive the rep's it just doesn't reflect in your score.

Ya except once the mods have a bad opinion of you. Someone could say fuck you in a rep comment and they wouldn't give a damn. It's like that for me. Some of the mods there have labeled me a troll and they don't even care about my rep comments(and if you look at the actual reps, you would have to be blind to see that they aren't total troll comments).

And it sucks cuz the power to actually reverse the damn rep point is given to like two mods.

I think it leads to a lot of immaturity--look at Reddit. I've never seen it implemented in a way that genuinely benefited the forum/conversation like people say it does. If anything, it makes people try way too hard to be clever or funny so they can receive more points, which I find really obnoxious. Maybe there's an example where the change didn't lead to immaturity, but I have yet to see it. The system might work on a more smaller forum where it's easier to combat such pettiness, though.

For the record, I don't read Serebii forums except for the odd time where I'm Googling something Pokemon related and end up there, so I don't know how their point system benefits or worsens the place.

And yeah I know not all of Reddit is bad, but I still think their voting system makes the site rather horrid.

The like system is much better because it remains positive and doesn't lead to anything petty. I don't mind criticism or anything of the sort, but simply giving someone a negative point doesn't really tell you any critique. If you find a post poor, you should just come out and say so and why (politely, of course) because that's more productive than simply down-voting it.
    Platinum - Kouki: 0906 5004 9697
    SoulSilver - Duo: 0689 7605 8729
    Black - Kou: 1850 1117 9840
    Black 2 - Leia: 4642 7760 5412

Caught in a lab romance~ Araragi-hakase's Avatar Head Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Araragi-hakase On Twitter
    Follow Araragi-hakase on Tumblr

Please only use this for suggestions and ideas for Bulba, not to complain about what other forums do.