Inside a blue box that is bigger on the inside
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Redirect users to read new announcements, rules etc

UP

THE Queen Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

I vote up. I tend to miss new announcements.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    DOWN

If they don't want to read the new rules, then people should just accept the consequences by getting infracted, you know?
    We'd rather not take that chance. UP.

This just gives them one less excuse, you know?
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

UP

It's true that users may exit the page before reading. However, this could be extremely helpful to those that intend to follow the rules and just don't notice the announcements.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Puppetmaster View Post
    UP

It's true that users may exit the page before reading. However, this could be extremely helpful to those that intend to follow the rules and just don't notice the announcements.
    Could you explain to me how hard it is to really not see or "notice" this?
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimε View Post
    Could you explain to me how hard it is to really see or "notice" this?
    It's hard to notice some new updates because there are no special announcements for them.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries
    Follow Green Zubat On Twitter Add Green Zubat on Facebook
    Follow Green Zubat on Tumblr Visit Green Zubat's Youtube Channel

DOWN

I'd rather not have someone try to force me to read something I might not want and/or need to. I can see where the announcements are and its easy to see when new ones pop up. Its fine as is.

And in response to Gi-gi-giaru: well then clearly the answer is to give those updates announcements too, not to change the announcement system altogether.

Credit to Missingno. Master for creating this lovely team snap for my sig :)

Blog Entries

Down
    I can see the use but am not in favour of being forced to view stuff I may not want to
    URPG Snowbelle Leader
    Looking for: Rotom
    UFT: Depends what you're offering

You know, I've been here awhile and I still don't exactly know where the new rules are. It's been a long time since I registered but I recall a welcome PM, so perhaps an automated Welcome PM that links to the general forum and signature rules.

Also something does need to be done about announcements, they aren't very vibrant or noticeable.

Up on making the rules and announcements more noticeable. Or if its not being done yet, a welcome PM with links to the rules, then they can't say "I'm new"

EDIT: Changed my vote
    Last edited by The Outrage; 7th February 2011 at 08:07 PM.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Just to clarify, for Outrage and others, the welcome PM does provide a handful of useful links including a link to rules.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimε View Post
    Could you explain to me how hard it is to really not see or "notice" this?
    In all honesty, I scroll past it whenever I visit the site (but I'm not trying to be lazy or anything, it's just a bad habit). I know it's my responsibility to check the thread once in a while, though, so I apologize.

I just think it would be much more convenient and like others have said, it would eliminate the excuse "I never knew about that rule". Those who choose not to read the announcement can easily exit the page.

I'm not saying it's an absolute necessity, but I think it could be very helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by evkl View Post
    Just to clarify, for Outrage and others, the welcome PM does provide a handful of useful links including a link to rules.
    Then I'm really confused as to why people can go around saying that they're new and don't know the rules and I don't think slapping it in the face of users would help if they're already ignoring that :/

So changing my vote to Down since I don't think users should be babied any more than they already are when it comes to rules.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

DOWN, for rules. You can just find the Rules thread, bookmark/favorite (varies from internet browser) it, and then read it once a day until it is stuck in your head and you can say to yourself: "Hmmm... Will this post get me an infraction?"

I agree with both Outrage and Mzjelfan. (This is coming from a user who has been banned many times before and is now going to become a rule-abiding user)

UP for getting redirected to new announcements, if major enough, should get this treatment (one of these announcements we can try this out on is the tentative 'switch to Vbulletin 4' one), so that users know what's hip and happening. The rules are not hip and happening.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Then I'm really confused as to why people can go around saying that they're new and don't know the rules and I don't think slapping it in the face of users would help if they're already ignoring that :/
    They can't. Well, they can, but we won't accept it as an excuse, so there's no real point to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Seek the sparrow prince Iteru's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

This currently has 12 UPs, 5 DOWNS and someone who is mixed on both. I'm not too sure what the procedure is for this occurence but I have another proposal.

As Outrage and El Noobio have expressed, they feel that the rules should not be subject to this idea but the announcements should. Is it worth having a separate vote for which this idea should be applied for as well as a neither option?

Edit: Alternatively, I can do some research and try to find a different method of making whatever noticable. I realise that this is quite an extreme idea to force users to view material that they may not want to.
    Last edited by Iteru; 8th February 2011 at 07:49 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast