So I was thinking, after the success of the Team Tournament last September I think, we could do something of that sort again. Except this time really make it big. We could do it with a mixture of both Wi-Fi and Simulator, allowing an inter-mingling of both.
Here's how I'm looking at it, I'm open to changes: Tiers: Gen 4 OU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 5 OU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 5 Little Cup [Sim]
Gen 4 UU [Wi-Fi & Sim]
Gen 4 OU Doubles [Wi-Fi OR Sim]
2 Side Metagames that can be voted on (such as Challenge Cup or 1v1 at a later date and change every season)
3 selected players can play a maximum of two metagames, to cover up for the lack of competitive players. Selecting Players
There are two ideas I'm looking at right now:
- A Captain Sign-Up thread shall be put up, where users who wish to be captains can sign-up. Then either the host can sort out the top signed-up players as captains or all players who signed up as captains become captains. Then there is a sign-up for players who wish to also play. There will then be an auction, where users can bid a certain number of points for players. If two captains agree they can join together in one team, but this will be reviewed by the host and the funds will not increase. Teams will be picked through the auction.
- Users can pick their own teams. If a team fails to get the total number of players required, they can then have an auction with remaining players and incomplete teams to pick players.
Teams can actively trade players every round. Once a user has left a team, he cannot return to the same team until the next season. Format:
- Depending on the number of teams that we get, there will be one league or two leagues.
- If we have two leagues, we will first host a tournament, where the top half of the teams, are in the Upper League and the bottom half are in the Lower League. Every season [number can vary] the bottom two teams from the Upper League will get relegated to the Lower league. Also, the Top 2 teams from the lower league get promoted to the upper league.
- In every league, each round, two teams will have to play each other. So a Gen 4 OU player will play the Gen 4 OU player from the other team. The team with the max number of wins, wins the matchcup
- Now I'm debating on this one. Either we can have a round robin where each team plays each team OR we can have a system where matchups are decided and its a single/double elimination tournament
Undecided. It would be nice to have big prizes. Maybe some BulbaNews action, I really can't think of much here. Extra:
- I was thinking during each season, we could have a small session where non-competing players could join in and have a few battles
- Also, we could have a small break where we have troll metagames being played by users so they can enjoy themselves.
- Other activities such as Trades, IRC chats and other competitions would make this a more interactive tournament to join
I just realized this sounds a lot like the SPL on Smogon. Well, firstly I hope for this to be a more open event where even other non-participating users can have some fun. Aside from that, well its not that bad of an idea overall, so what if its very similar to what Smogon does, we gotta admit there's nothing wrong in learning from other websites who do good stuff. Heck, we could even have a thing where at the end of every season the winner of SPL could face off the winner of this league.