Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Tab for Links

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: New Tab for Links

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    Websites that open outside links in the same window:
    Google
    Apple (it hardly has any outside links but when it does they open in the same window)
    The official Pokémon website
    Pokémon Global Link (on some of its links)
    Pokémon TCG Online (on some of its links)
    Wikipedia
    Just about anyone's personal webpage

Websites that open it in a separate tab only do it as a convenience... the default is to open it in the same window. When you make a website, the simplest link to make uses the code
    Code:
    <a href="http://www.google.com/">Google</a>
    That code opens the page in the same window / tab
    There is a very key difference between the websites you've listed and the websites I've listed. The ones I listed all include links posted by users. When you have a link posted by a user, you are generally viewing a forum thread or a video or something someone posted, and the link is just a supplement to the discussion. With other sites like Google and Wikipedia, links are used for navigation. Notice I don't want links for navigating to different forum sections to go to new tabs. Who would?

It's a very obvious difference that I figured people who make this argument would be able to understand, but I guess I was wrong.
    That's nice.

Post Thanks / Like

That really doesn't make much of a difference though. Usually if I do a Google search and I find a website I still want the Google window open so I can find another result without hitting back (and leaving my first result). Same thing with Wikipedia... if I see something and click on the citation to see where it came from, I usually don't want to go away from the Wikipedia page for good.
    My point is that some major websites and most minor websites make you right click a link to open it in a new tab... so you should just be in the habit of doing that anyway. Yes, usually you would want to open links from forums in a new tab, but I see nothing stopping you from just right clicking it and choosing "open in a new tab". The only reasons not to would be if you're using a laptop with no mouse or a Mac with an Apple mouse and it is difficult to right-click stuff... or if you forget that these forums don't open a new tab so you just click it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That really doesn't make much of a difference though. Usually if I do a Google search and I find a website I still want the Google window open so I can find another result without hitting back (and leaving my first result). Same thing with Wikipedia... if I see something and click on the citation to see where it came from, I usually don't want to go away from the Wikipedia page for good.
    My point is that some major websites and most minor websites make you right click a link to open it in a new tab... so you should just be in the habit of doing that anyway. Yes, usually you would want to open links from forums in a new tab, but I see nothing stopping you from just right clicking it and choosing "open in a new tab". The only reasons not to would be if you're using a laptop with no mouse or a Mac with an Apple mouse and it is difficult to right-click stuff... or if you forget that these forums don't open a new tab so you just click it anyway.
    Then you can take it up with the administration at those websites. In the meantime, I think this website should do it so I'm taking it up with the administration here.

Also, I'll take that last statement as support for my idea, thank you.
    That's nice.

Post Thanks / Like

Taking it up with the administrators of every website out there is stupid. They can fix it, but they probably won't. And even if they all did, you'd have to contact countless administrators to change them all (well, I guess you'd only need to contact the administrators of sites you use). The better idea would be to take it up with the people who make the browsers... it's the browser that determines how html tags are read. If the makers of the browser wanted to they could make it so that the default does open it in a new tab.

Anyway, I've changed my mind, it would be nice for these forums to do it automatically as a convenience for the cases I've mentioned. But I highly doubt it'll be changed... Archaic already said that he has no plans of implementing it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Anyway, I've changed my mind, it would be nice for these forums to do it automatically as a convenience for the cases I've mentioned. But I highly doubt it'll be changed... Archaic already said that he has no plans of implementing it.
    Thanks =)
    That's nice.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I know this thread is a bit old, but I would just like to voice my complete agreement. My biggest issue with this currently not being implemented concerns when you are in a thread that you have entered with the view unread post function. Using that button links you specifically to the first post you haven't read, and then you just keep on reading the thread as normal. However, if you click a link in a later post and then go back it directs you back up to the first post to read. It gets annoying when you have to scroll back down to find the post you were actually reading. I know there are keyboard options to do it already, but I do think making it a default, or at least an option, would be so much easier.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12