New forum suggestion

Thread: New forum suggestion

Post Thanks / Like

Default New forum suggestion

In "The Creative Corner" there should be an additional forum for "Other works", assuming that there's enough demand for it.
    There's a section for writing / fanfics, a section for art / fan art, and a section for music / video, and a section for recipes... there are other works that we may want to show off that don't fit into any of those 4 categories.
    For example:
    - web sites
    - Flash movies, especially interactive ones, which might not fall under the category of "video" or "digital art"
    - computer programs created by users
    - indie games - I know that Bulbagarden has a strict policy against fan games (even though from a legal standpoint fanfics and fan art are just as illegal as fan games yet they are allowed here...) but how about entirely original (i.e. not illegal at all) games created by users?

Also I'm a little confused on why the photography forum is a sub-forum of the music / video forum and not of the art forum (which I think would be more appropriate... at least if I'm looking for photography or a place to post photography the first place I'd look would be the art forum, not the music / video one...)
    Also, this rule should be changed:
    "1. This is for photographs, not art. It's also not for pictures of you, or your pets."
    First off, photography is "art" (especially as seen the second post in the rules, where an "artistic photograph" is a legitimate thing to post). I think that by "art", it means "drawings", etc., but it's a bit confusing... I interpretted that at first as "this is for snapshots, not good / artistic photos" which doesn't seem to be the case.
    Secondly, I don't understand why photos of yourself and pets aren't allowed. I can understand why snapshots / MySpace-style photos shouldn't be allowed, but in general a "self portrait" is a perfectly legitimate type of art, and a photo of your dog is just as worthy as a photo of a tree or some building or something. I really don't understand the point of such a rule.
    Last edited by Xenidal; 22nd April 2012 at 10:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: New forum suggestion

Art is the umbrella term for a bunch of things, including but not limited to: drawing, literature, music, dance, graphics, videos
    But people seem to ignore that and divide them like that, but I do believe the Graphics sub forum should go to the Art Gallery
    And I think this forum suggestion is good, but, quite simply I don't think there's enough demand, but that's just my opinion, so, who knows?
    It might actually happen

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    - Flash movies, especially interactive ones, which might not fall under the category of "video" or "digital art"
    Those can go in Media Menagerie.

- indie games - I know that Bulbagarden has a strict policy against fan games
    Only Pokemon fan games. Original ones are fine.

Also I'm a little confused on why the photography forum is a sub-forum of the music / video forum and not of the art forum (which I think would be more appropriate... at least if I'm looking for photography or a place to post photography the first place I'd look would be the art forum, not the music / video one...)
    Because not all photography is art. I didn't want to limit people.

Secondly, I don't understand why photos of yourself and pets aren't allowed. I can understand why snapshots / MySpace-style photos shouldn't be allowed, but in general a "self portrait" is a perfectly legitimate type of art, and a photo of your dog is just as worthy as a photo of a tree or some building or something. I really don't understand the point of such a rule.
    Because that type of thing really fits a blog better.

As for a new forum. We only create new forums when there's enough of a demand for one. If we see a lot of threads for those other things, then we'll probably make a forum for them.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Only Pokemon fan games. Original ones are fine.
    Yeah, but where can they be posted? I don't have anything to post at the moment, but for future reference... what would be the best forum for it? "The Media Menagerie" (as it's a creative work and that seems like the only forum that it would even remotely fall under) or should it instead be posted in "Entertainment, Inc." (as an indie game is pretty much no different than a commercial game except for the fact that it's not being produced by a major company and it's more likely to be distributed as freeware)