The like button - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The like button

Hipsteeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeer Phoenicks's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: The like button

Quote Originally Posted by Shiny Celebi View Post
    I dont know if thats a good idea, it could turn into a popularity contest, very quickly. DOWN
    Anything in which there is more than one choice is a 'popularity contest'. Don't mind post ratings if you're worried about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Zubat View Post
    I forsee the facebook problem developing, where someone says something horrible to someone else and then a third party goes in and likes it. It just wouldn't be nice.

Besides, isn't this just like Karma? (and we all know how that went)

In summation: DOWN

EDIT:

Also, I think people would probably still spam, it would just be more annoying when they like something and then post as well to say exactly that.
    We have systems in place to deal with insults and spam. A 'Like' button does not affect those.
    "The inward skies of man will accompany him across any void upon which he ventures and will be with him to the end of time." -- Loren Eiseley

Blog Entries

Are vB forums even able to have a "Like" button? Only thing I know of that is similar to that is the Reputation System(which all staff are strongly against).
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenicks View Post
    Anything in which there is more than one choice is a 'popularity contest'. Don't mind post ratings if you're worried about them.
    True, but they're not always so overt as this would be.

Personally, I'd vote DOWN to this. I don't see that it would have much more than a minimal (if any) impact on spam infractions (which aren't so numerous as to require additional measure to handle, IMO).

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Sublimε View Post
    Are vB forums even able to have a "Like" button? Only thing I know of that is similar to that is the Reputation System(which all staff are strongly against).
    Yes, I do believe they are.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

DOWN

It's all gonna be a popularity contest. "X is my friend, so I'll just like his posts." Or a way to justify arguments in say the real world. "Dude, my post has more likes than you, therefore I am right." Maybe not as much like that, but I think it will influence it in some sort of way.

You know, I can even see it creating more spam. In the middle of a thread people will start asking why their post didn't get as much likes as the other guys post, while they said the same thing.

I don't see anything good coming out of a like-button.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TM2-Megatron View Post

Personally, I'd vote DOWN to this. I don't see that it would have much more than a minimal (if any) impact on spam infractions (which aren't so numerous as to require additional measure to handle, IMO).
    I'd agree with this and vote DOWN. All I'm reminded of with this idea are polls where people, despite having placed a vote, still feel the need to post how they voted...and nothing else. If anything, I could then see people posting just to say they "liked" the post and basically balancing things out. No more spam, no less.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I vote DOWN. If Youtube's taught me anything, this idea could just end up as a popularity contest with people just commenting on the results. ^^;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12