A few questions

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

- Is there any way to Reply without using the Quick Reply (so like, you end up on a separate page with all the tools and stuff that you'd find as if you were starting a new topic)? Whenever I click Reply it just puts the cursor in the Quick Reply box. Is it supposed to do that or is it not working right on my computer?
    - How do you "mention" people? You know, when that person's name shows up as a link and that person gets a notification?
    - What is the rule about bumping / replying to old topics? I didn't see it on the rules so either I'm missing it or it's not there. What I'm asking is how old can topics be before you're not supposed to post in them? I've posted in a few threads that were a month old... not sure if that was allowed or not, but they were still on the first page so I figured it'd probably be okay.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A few questions

If you don't want to use the quick reply box, you can click the "Go Advanced" button beneath it to go to the reply page. (doing so also keeps any text you have entered in the quick reply box in the reply).

Mentions can be done simply by typing and @ before the user's name. For example, [noparse @dannyjenn[/noparse] results in @dannyjenn

Thread necromancy (posting in an old thread) isn't in the rules because the idea is it's better to use an old thread than make an identical new one. That said, your post does need to add something new. "Bumping" a thread (posting in it just to move it to the top of the list without adding anything to the thread) is generally frowned upon and will likely get a pointless post and/or multiple post warning. Basically, replying is okay, bumping is not.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

One more question -- occassionally I get Notifications for a new Mention or a new Quote... and when I click on it there's nothing new there. Why does this happen? Is it a glitch, or is someone making a post and then deleting it before I see it?

And one last thing... how do you make a poll? The only thing I see is a checkbox to make it into a poll and it asks how many choices... but I don't see where you type the question in or type the answers out, etc
    Last edited by Xenidal; 3rd April 2012 at 11:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post
    One more question -- occassionally I get Notifications for a new Mention or a new Quote... and when I click on it there's nothing new there. Why does this happen? Is it a glitch, or is someone making a post and then deleting it before I see it?
    That might be because when you go to the thread the notification is in, it doesn't get rid of the notification straight away, you have to refresh the page/go to a different thread before the notification goes.

Quote Originally Posted by dannyjenn View Post

And one last thing... how do you make a poll? The only thing I see is a checkbox to make it into a poll and it asks how many choices... but I don't see where you type the question in or type the answers out, etc
    Sometimes the Notifications either get stuck for awhile, or you had just checked the notification. The notification disappears after you leave the page where you were viewing the notification.

When you create a poll, after you checkmark and indicate the number of choices; click "submit new thread" it will take you to a separate screen to set up your poll. You can also set a limit on how long the poll will be open as well.