Change default privacy settings

Thread: Change default privacy settings

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Default Change default privacy settings

I was wondering if it was possible for us to change the default privacy settings for the profile info from "Everyone" to "Registered users." While people should be updating their privacy settings, not everyone knows they're there (I didn't think to look at them until today and I've been registered here for over two years) and that their information is available to guests here and is easily searchable on Google. I just got the bad side of this today, and updated my Bulba privacy settings, but while I was doing it I thought it was kind of odd that "Everyone" was the default anyway. I think the majority of Bulba users would want their stuff to be restricted at least just to registered users, not publicly available to anyone who stumbles upon the site or Googles their username. People could still change the settings back to "Everyone" if that's really what they want, but "Registered Users" makes a lot more sense to me as a default.
    Last edited by Misato Katsuragi; 28th November 2012 at 02:06 AM.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Default Re: Change default privacy settings

I'm not sure if that's possible. @Archaic;?

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

I'll look into it. As a privacy researcher myself, it concerns me that I didn't even realize/remember they were there until you mentioned it.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Thanks! I just had some creepy troll on another website find out a bunch of info about me from my Bulba profile here because I had revealed my username for that site in a VM conversation which came up on Google. Which he then used to "out" me over there. I really wish I had known ahead of time that my information was available to non-users, or at least had thought to look into it.

Hi, I'm Rose. I love music, alcohol, pointless Internet debates and being a snob about my choices in entertainment. I write a lot. You can read some of my writing at Autostraddle.com, the best site for LBTQ women on the Internet, where I am a staff writer. Or the funhouse that is my tumblr. I also write music sometimes, and post the better fruits of my labors on my SoundCloud.

Blog Entries

It appears it's not possible to change the default privacy settings of registered accounts. It is however possible for me to set it so that guests shouldn't be able to view user profiles (no matter what settings a user may have), so I've done that. That's also effective in blocking search engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    It appears it's not possible to change the default privacy settings of registered accounts. It is however possible for me to set it so that guests shouldn't be able to view user profiles (no matter what settings a user may have), so I've done that. That's also effective in blocking search engines.
    It's annoying to have to sign in everytime I want to view a profile, but I understand it's for a good cause. But could you extend the time one can be logged in (without refreshing the page) in order to balance it out? Maybe even add some "log in time" option so that it'd be customizable?
    Last edited by Manga Reader X; 30th November 2012 at 10:20 AM.

Blog Entries

If you click that remember me box, you'll never be signed out.