Wikipedia has a green "documentation" box that is used with all of their templates. It's so that users of the templates can
- see where, when and why the template is used,
- look at the list of parameters for using the template to its fullest potential,
- get visual examples of how possible inputs reflect the template, and
- be relieved of bugging the user who made the template or asking on the talk page about how to use it!
I was thinking that it would be nice for Bulbapedia (maybe extending to the Archives and News as well) to have a similar documentation box that would grab everything from a centralized subpage—/doc—of a template and put it all at the bottom of the page in a universally-recognizable format so the four benefits above (plus others) can be extended to Bulbagarden.
If you don't get where the documentation would be placed, here's two examples:
- The documentation for Template:Route infobox would be located at Template:Route infobox/doc.
- The documentation for Template:User Champion would be located at Template:User Champion/doc.
Regardless of the template, you would add /doc at the end to find the documentation subpage.
I'm all ears and would love to get this going.