Bulbagarden with Malaware?

Thread: Bulbagarden with Malaware?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Bulbagarden with Malaware?

We're trying to get information from google and other malware-identifiers at to what, exactly, is the issue.

So far, this is the response we get when asking for more details about the security warning (when we get the security warning page). You've already seen and screenshotted it, but I'm reposting it here for people who don't want to look at your second picture :

What happened when Google visited this site?
    Of the 339 pages we tested on the site over the past 90 days, 0 page(s) resulted in malicious software being downloaded and installed without user consent. The last time Google visited this site was on 2012-12-29, and suspicious content was never found on this site within the past 90 days.
    This site was hosted on 3 network(s) including AS14618 (AMAZON), AS36351 (SOFTLAYER), AS15169 (Google Internet Backbone).

Has this site acted as an intermediary resulting in further distribution of malware?
    Over the past 90 days, bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net did not appear to function as an intermediary for the infection of any sites.

Has this site hosted malware?
    No, this site has not hosted malicious software over the past 90 days.

How did this happen?
    In some cases, third parties can add malicious code to legitimate sites, which would cause us to show the warning message.
    As you can see, that's very little useful information to allow us to identify the issue.

We're working on getting more information, to be able to address the issue (if any) or to get google to address the issue (if it's on their end).
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Did some hacker put malware on the site or something? That's the only answer that immediately comes to me.

It's really not even as nefarious as a "hacker" doing something.

The site uses ads to generate revenue to cover the expenses of hosting such a large site. Those ads are hosted by a third party site unrelated to Bulbapedia.

One of those ads is now generating Malware. The maware was detected in an ad appearing on Bulbapedia (even though it wasn't coming from Bulbapedia itself), so ow the whole site is flagged.

To fix it, the site has to get rid of the "rogue ad" that's doing this, but they have to identify that ad first, and they're having trouble doing that (and not getting much help from Google).

That said, you can still view the site if you use FireFox (and maybe other browsers, but FF is the only one I know for sure works). You will still get a message, but you can elect to ignore it with FF.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rubychan228 View Post
    That said, you can still view the site if you use FireFox (and maybe other browsers, but FF is the only one I know for sure works). You will still get a message, but you can elect to ignore it with FF.
    You should not be ignoring the message. Just stay off Bulbapedia until we get this resolved.

I get that this isn't a road Bulbapedia would like us to take, since it does have costs and all, but whatever the offending ad is, it does seem to be reliably killed by FF's Ad Blocker extension.

I don't encounter the malware warning page at Bulbapedia anymore! :D \o/
    White 2 FC: 1206-7028-2268

Blog Entries

Yep, it's been fixed.