Adoption Lodge - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Adoption Lodge

Blog Entries

Follow Arc Blader on Tumblr

Default Re: Adoption Lodge

Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    I don't know about this, If someone 'adopted' someone wouldn't that propose a superficial sense of control or ownership over the user. Shouldn't control be limited to Moderaters?

The aspect of this is giving new users immediate friendship. But why should that be a responsibility, whats to stop you befriending them just because you have something in common or think they are interesting? Also what if you 'adopt someone' that you have nothing in common with, someone you would never befriend under different circumstances?

basically only befriend someone if you genuinely like them, not because it is a responsibility

DOWN
    I believe the main idea of this is to give new users someone to show them the ropes and help them out when they're confused about something, not forcing people to befriend other people.

I say UP. I think this would be a great way to introduce new users to the forums.

Blog Entries

Some members are naturally friendly--so they may find it easier to talk to and guide around someone even if there are huge gaps in common interests.

Allow me to compare helping a member around the forums to touring a building: when you tour a building, you show a person the obvious places. This is the restroom, over there is the elevator, on the bottom floor is the reception area, etc. However, you do not tell them the obvious things to do in those areas. You don't tell them how to use the toilet, or proper behavior in an elevator. You tell them where places are, and based off the names of the places, they can choose where they want to go!
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

To those of you complaining that "it's too much work" or "it's a responsibility DURRRRRR"... did you think about the fact that it may be voluntary?

UP

Blog Entries

UP!

I would like to help new people, a new friend and most likely a new user that gets on often. Win win.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

In case someone has any questions, isn't the Frequently Asked Questions forums already for that? Questions get answered pretty quickly there. Quoted from the "about" thread in that forum:

This is a forum for any questions you may have about the rules or the site that aren't covered in any of the posts in the Announcements & Rules forum. Other users and moderators will be here to answer your questions; if you need anything, you can always send a message to any of the moderators or administrators.
    So we wouldn't really need this for those reasons.

So then about the new and friendless to the forums? We have an entire garden grotto for people to feel welcome. They can post interests in their welcome thread, and if people respond with "hey, me too!" they can just drop a vm and/or friend request. Even by just posting in threads you can probably make friends relatively fast, just because you share the same opinion.

Still don't know who to approach (maybe because you're too shy)? We have two chat threads in the form of the conversational thread and random messages. Just drop a message and I'm sure you'll be welcomed there too. Problem solved.

Plus $¥ claims it existed once, but then died. History is prone to repetition, so there is quite the chance this will fail again.

So taking all above into consideration, DOWN.

DCM
    Blog Entries

I adopt you all. Now get to work on cleaning the house, cindermembers.

All joking aside, I can see a use for this and would be willing to oversee this. I suppose this could boil down to new members being wary of approaching staff, so they have a certain user they can speak with while learning the ropes.

Could you outline how you would like this to work? Obviously staff oversees who becomes mentor, but other than that?
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Blog Entries

Not to overtake Sourcandy's idea, but I could imagine a volunteer filling out an application with information such as what section they frequent the most, their interests, and in which timezone they live. In the welcoming message new users receive, there would be a link that takes them to a similar application, and they could fill it out if they'd like. Mods would then assign one of the volunteers to the newcomer based on similar information in their applications.

That's just one way I think it could work.

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

I often help new members. Heck, loads of my friends list are new members I've helped.

UP
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Blog Entries
    Follow Tolan On Twitter
    Follow Tolan on Tumblr

I think some good requirements is that they should have a post count of 500+, been here for 3+ months, and not be in bad standing with the community.

DCM
    Blog Entries

Those qualifications would be decided by staff only
    “And as to you life, I reckon you are the leavings of many deaths, No doubt I have died myself ten thousand times before.”

W.W.

Blog Entries
    Follow Tolan On Twitter
    Follow Tolan on Tumblr

Okay.

But for how it works:

Theres a application for volunteers with where the visit the most, and stuff like that. And then they get put on a master list on the first post by place where the visit most, and if someone needs help then they can contact someone on that list.

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

UP. An Adoption Lodge seems like a good idea to help newcomers learn how to do things on the forums so they can use the forums with no problem!
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

Blog Entries
    Follow Noivern On Twitter

I think I'm going with UP. Let's make this place a friendlier place, shall we? Especially to newcomers... I think it would be even better, and also make the forum go much smoother...
    Hey, it's Noivern here. I like Noivern a lot. I like Katy Perry. I want a Hydreigon plushie. Also, I'm a total PC geek.
    Links

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DCM View Post

Could you outline how you would like this to work? Obviously staff oversees who becomes mentor, but other than that?
    Well it isnt that hard, after the people that will mentor have been chosen a thread can be open where the new guys ask to "adopted" I would say that from that point the mentor ask the new member if she/he would want her/him to adopt her/him. The rest can be taken by them.

Some rules would have to be applied like just having two as a maximum of member at the time.And reporting when someone has been adopted or ready to go out on their own.
    My life is a nightmare

DCM
    Blog Entries

Staff is seriously considering this project, we're kicking around some guidelines now.

W.W.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12