Adoption Lodge

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adoption Lodge

Blog Entries

Default Adoption Lodge

well as simple as that,it can be a thread at the garden grotto? Where the newcommers can meet an older member who can help them out around the forums and show them the ropes.
    This would help the new guys to actually stay with us,im proposing something like this because I know how it is when you are the new member who has no friends,doesnt know what VM means or how to upload an image.

The adopters can be members who have been here for a reasonble amount of time, are friendly,good posters but more importantly;members willing to help the news. I know there is a good amount of people like that here so this might work.
    ~Toughts?
    My life is a nightmare

British Invasion $aturn¥oshi's Avatar Social Media Coordinator
    Blog Entries
    Follow $aturn¥oshi On Twitter Add $aturn¥oshi on Facebook Add $aturn¥oshi on Google+
    Follow $aturn¥oshi on Tumblr Visit $aturn¥oshi's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Adoption Lodge

Something like this popped up long ago, but then it just died.

Blog Entries
    Follow Tolan On Twitter
    Follow Tolan on Tumblr

I kinda like this. I'd be willing to help someone out. Up.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi View Post
    Something like this popped up long ago, but then it just died.
    I remember that... it kinda just flickered into nothing and no one said a word since...

I think it's a good idea, still, so I say UP. Perhaps this time around it won't die?
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

i say this would be good if it didnt die. UP

powered by the sun farewell, friend's Avatar

Follow farewell, friend on Tumblr

Oh, I love helping people! This'll be fun. UP.
    I'm the essence of
    daydreamer. time-waster. black and white painter.
    in an upside-down world.
    eyes closed. dreams unfold. ascending realities; open to me.

Offline for a while HexagonStephen's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Sure, why not? UP.

Also, I am offering my services as an Original Pokemon Trainer designer. It's free, but I might need time depending on your requests. PM for details if you are interested.

Offline possibly for the summer. Don't VM or PM me because I may not see it for a few months.

now's the time to shine coolking503's Avatar
    Blog Entries

down

This seems like too much work. Firstly, what exactly is the criteria to pick a good member? Also, I think most people can learn about the forum by looking at the first sticky in each area. Do you really need someone to tell you that the role playing forum is for people to role play, or that the battle section is for people to battle pokemon. The competitive section is for competitive battling and the in game thread is for in game discussion. Really, how do you need someone to tell you what each forum is for? I struggle to see how this will help any more than reading the rules or introduction thread in the forum you wish to post in. Not to mention the people who dont read this adoption thing probably arent going to read the rules either. Theres a reason this died once, you know.
    If we are having a battle and I disconnect, it is 100% unintentional; my power goes off often and each time my modem resets.

Gone until Aug, 10 or something for a trip w/out net access. C u after that. If I suddenly dissapear after that you can bet I got bad grades on my IGCSE's, since results are coming out the week afterwards.

Blog Entries

I'm all for this idea. It's a great way of meeting new people and helping newcomers not feel so shy. UP

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I think this idea is great and will help out alot of new users so I vote this UP!

Blog Entries

I think this is a good idea. Learning some tips and tricks from the members who have been around for a while can only benefit our members, especially when it comes down to the forum software.

Plus I agree with Sourcandy that it can be a bit daunting for some joining when they don't know anybody.

Quote Originally Posted by coolking503 View Post
    This seems like too much work.
    I don't want to dictate Sourcandy's idea, but not really. If willing helpers stated their timezones, then someone who would like a helper can just choose someone with a similar timezone to their's. The the rest is between the helper and the new member.

Of course, there could be a different method, but I don't really see how it is too much work.

Do you really need someone to tell you that the role playing forum is for people to role play, or that the battle section is for people to battle pokemon. The competitive section is for competitive battling and the in game thread is for in game discussion. Really, how do you need someone to tell you what each forum is for?
    I don't think that is what Sourcandy meant. The examples that she gave (like not knowing what some abbreviations mean) are things that you cannot find by viewing a forum's index.
    She isn't suggesting that we spoonfeed the absolute obvious to new members, but to help with the functions of the forums that new users who have never used vbulletin (or been on a forum before) might not know about.

So, UP.

Blog Entries

Follow Tsutarja on Tumblr

UP. This is a great idea, I'd love to help out!

Trophies

I don't know about this, If someone 'adopted' someone wouldn't that propose a superficial sense of control or ownership over the user. Shouldn't control be limited to Moderaters?

The aspect of this is giving new users immediate friendship. But why should that be a responsibility, whats to stop you befriending them just because you have something in common or think they are interesting? Also what if you 'adopt someone' that you have nothing in common with, someone you would never befriend under different circumstances?

basically only befriend someone if you genuinely like them, not because it is a responsibility

DOWN
    Last edited by Fawkes.; 24th April 2011 at 06:26 AM.

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

who said they had to become friends? i take it they'd just mentor them in the basics for a bit then let them leave the training nest eventually once the newbie has the gist of the forums.

i can't decide how i stand on this so, NEUTRAL (for now)

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

Blog Entries

This seems like too much work.
    You dont have to do it if you dont want, as I said before this is voluntary.

Firstly, what exactly is the criteria to pick a good member?
    I would say that members that have been around 3 months, with a postcount over 200.

Also, I think most people can learn about the forum by looking at the first sticky in each area.
    When I was new here I didnt know how to do this,or this
    or

is more than that,sometimes new members stop coming because they dont have anybody to talk with them,this can help them meet someone until they can find their place here.
    My life is a nightmare

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast