163 48.22%
Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Venusaur vs Torterra

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Venusaur vs Torterra

Quote Originally Posted by Hide in Plain Sight View Post
    this. grass types suck. I've never used either and never will because they are both the worst starters in their respective gens. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Venusaur just because Torterra is a copy.
    That's a little harsh, don't you think? I don't think Grass types suck. In fact, it's my favorite type.

Oh, and speaking in-game, Venusaur's the best starter choice in Kanto. Competitively, it's used a lot more than the ever popular Charizard and even more than Blastoise.

Torterra's more or less as useful as Infernape and Empoleon in-game, though I'll admit he's kinda inferior competitively (damn Ice-weakness.)
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    Torterra wins them all.
    I concur.

this. grass types suck. I've never used either and never will because they are both the worst starters in their respective gens. If I had to pick one, I'd pick Venusaur just because Torterra is a copy.
    That logic was broken down already. There are quite a few very good grass types in OU/BL, including Celebi, Breloom, Roserade, Shaymin, and (to a lesser extent) Abomasnow.

And Blastoise is the worst 1st gen starter. As for 4th gen, Torterra may be the worst starter of the three, but only because both Infernape and Empoleon are massively good. It's certainly not the worst starter over all...that'd be Meganium. XD

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RAcast_Blaster View Post
    That logic was broken down already. There are quite a few very good grass types in OU/BL, including Celebi, Breloom, Roserade, Shaymin, and (to a lesser extent) Abomasnow.

And Blastoise is the worst 1st gen starter. As for 4th gen, Torterra may be the worst starter of the three, but only because both Infernape and Empoleon are massively good. It's certainly not the worst starter over all...that'd be Meganium. XD
    You're mileage may vary. It seems a lot of people consider Empoleon the worst.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakesh! View Post
    You're mileage may vary. It seems a lot of people consider Empoleon the worst.
    And they'd be wrong. Agility Subpetaya Empoleon is beastly. If you can get that set up (and it's not terribly difficult late game with a bit of prediction) it's a fantastic late-game sweeper. It's OU for a reason.

7tx

Torterra is a copy? Righhttt

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Robotnik View Post
    I knew I was forgetting to address something when I was writing my reply to that post. XD Indeed, how in the world is Torterra a copy of Venusaur? It's more like the child of a Squirtle and a Trapinch (well, Turtwig moreso, buuut yeah). XD

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Aesthetically, I like Torterra (because of the tree and mountains on its shell).

Competitively, I don't really know.

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Robotnik View Post
    Grass type starter... foliage on the back... stands on four legs... lizard / dinosaur looking... seems pretty similar to me.

And about Venusaur being the most useful Gen 1 starter, that's not entirely true.

While Venusaur is the most useful in game for the early portions (the first half), Charizard and Blastoise are more useful for the second half of the game and the E4
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B

Grass type starter... foliage on the back... stands on four legs... lizard / dinosaur looking... seems pretty similar to me.

And about Venusaur being the most useful Gen 1 starter, that's not entirely true.

While Venusaur is the most useful in game for the early portions (the first half), Charizard and Blastoise are more useful for the second half of the game and the E4
    We're talking about competitive battling. >_> The only subject that matters when comparing pokemon.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Again, not completely true. Venusaur's only weak to two of the eight Gym Leaders and has a type advantage against the last one. It also has a type advantage (albeit unofficial) against Lorelei and a neutrality to Bruno and Agatha. Of the Elite, only Lance and Rival completely wall it.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

I don't know competitively, but while Venusaur's design is a little better, I like Torterra's typing. On my currently only save of Platinum, I started with Turtwig.

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Does anyone actually list their location?
    Blog Entries

Competitively, Venusaur is actually better. Ice Moves are quite common. Venusaur has a nice physical move in the form of Power Whip. Gamewise, Torterra is actually slightly better since it helps resist more gym leaders.

Based purely on aesthetics it has to be Torterra. But I prefer Venusaur in battle.

Currently Playing: X; 7 Badges;
    Delphox (Lv 65) - Vivillion (Lv 65) - Blastoise (Lv 65) - Pangoro (Lv 66) - Amaura (Lv. 69) - Sylveon (Lv. 66)

IT'S A CLEMUSKETEER!!! IslandWalker's Avatar
    Guatemala, the country full of COD-obsessed bullies.
    Blog Entries

*facepalm*

There is a thing called "Yache Berry". Learn to use it. With that, Torterra wins. And STFU all of you people who are insulting grass.

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast