Blog Entries

Default Re: Venusaur vs Torterra

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    I think Torterra's design is better.
    So I like it better.

That's all.
    Fixed it for you.
    You didn't need to. Obviously what I said was just my opinion.

CANT LET YOU DO THAT !!! Startmirca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Startmirca View Post
    Torterra's Earthquake >>>>>>>>>>> Venusaur's Sludge Bomb
    Yes.

Venusaur is still better. And he would still win.
    At least Terra has a moveset that fit his offensive stats , let's see , Wood Hammer(Seed Bomb if recoil is unwanted) , Crunch , Superpower , a STAB Earthquake, Stone Edge(which helps against all type weaknesses) ,Rock Slide (if Stone Edge misses) . Torterra may be slow , but Rock Polish fixes that . Unlike Venusaur , it focuses on the Physical side. It's BW ability isnt that helpful though.

Saur , on the other hand , doesn't seem to have a moveset for a special attacker , it's best Special moves are Sludge Bomb , Energy Ball , if it has sunlight with its DW ability , then Solarbeam helps . It actually had a useful DW ability. But it's offesive moveset doesn't fit it's special stats.

I don't see how Venusaur is better(other than having better DW ability).
    Quote Originally Posted by Opossumguy View Post
    Skyla. She's from Unova, which has the most character development for gym leaders. Also, the huge cannons help. In fact, the whole gym design is great.

I just realized how you can take that wrong....

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Yes.

At least Terra has a moveset that fit his offensive stats , let's see , Wood Hammer(Seed Bomb if recoil is unwanted) , Crunch , Superpower , a STAB Earthquake, Stone Edge(which helps against all type weaknesses) ,Rock Slide (if Stone Edge misses) . Torterra may be slow , but Rock Polish fixes that . Unlike Venusaur , it focuses on the Physical side. It's BW ability isnt that helpful though.

Saur , on the other hand , doesn't seem to have a moveset for a special attacker , it's best Special moves are Sludge Bomb , Energy Ball , if it has sunlight with its DW ability , then Solarbeam helps . It actually had a useful DW ability. But it's offesive moveset doesn't fit it's special stats.

However, Venusaur has less weaknesses and more bulk. And because of its DW ability and the dominance of weather in the metagame, Venusaur is considered to be the superior Grass type.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Furthermore, Venusaur has Sleep Powder, which >>>>>>>>>Earthquake.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Torterra is awesome. He has a really cool design, the world tree turtle concept is handled well, and a good movepool.

But Venusaur is just that much better than him. Faster, with access to Sleep Powder, and a great ability in Chlorophyll. Venusaur wins hands down, it's my favourite Kanto starter and grass starter. Scratch that, my favourite grass Pokemon of all.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yes.

Venusaur is better. It has a better movepool, a perfect stat distribution. You are forgetting how good grass + poison + hp fire is coverage wise.

However when you start considering the dw abilities, the difference is staggering. With chlorophyll, venusaur has 259 * 2 = 518 speed! I think that means that venusaur has higher speed than even deoxys-speed in the sun.

It doesn't end here. Venusaur can use growth in the sun and get to +2 / +2 in both of its offenses. That means that specially based venusaur has 852(!!!) special attack with life ORB. The mixed set has 751 / 616 offenses with 518 speed. Even legendary Pokemon cannot be this powerful after just one turn of setup.

Torterra may be able to increase its speed with rock polish but it cannot increase its offenses at the same time.

So, without the dw abilities, venusaur is slightly better than torterra due to the sheer versatility. With the dw abilities, venusaur is atleast 20 times better than torterra.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Back in Gen IV UU, before DW abilities were introduced, before the buff to Growth, before DrougntTales, Venusaur and Torterra were both in the UU tier.

However, Venusaur was a top UU threat due to its sheer versatility and unpredictability while Torterra was stuck in mid-low UU.

Venusaur has the stats to go physical after a Swords Dance (though Torterra does do this better,) it can go mixed, it can be special, it has Sleep Powder, it can absorb Toxic Spikes upon entry, it has better speed, it can SubSeed better, it can be a better special wall and a decent physical one (though, again, Torterra does the physical part better) and an overall more balanced stat distribution.

Jump to Gen V, and we have perma-Sun, Chlorophyll and a boosted Growth. Now Venusaur is an OU Pokemon and Torterra is an NU Pokemon. That speaks for itself, but I think LordClowncrete has explained just why it is that Venusaur is so much better than Torterra now.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Venasaur because Torterra has 4X weakness to Ice

Venusaur. I like Torterra but, he's really slow. And i like Venusaur's movepool better.
    Grass Type Warrior likes this.

Grass Type Trainer really knows what he's talking about. I have a venusaur and it's very similar to the one he described a few pages back. I EV trained it in HP and I think SP Def. It has sludge bomb, giga drain, sleep powder, and leech seed. The reason for giga drain over energy ball or grass knot is that I have the Big Root as his item, which makes it like he's using "recover" every time he attacks or uses leech seed. I find it works much better than leftovers.
    Grass Type Warrior likes this.

Psychotic Land Shark UberGarchomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr_Robotnik View Post
    I used both in their respective games. I would say that I prefer Venusaur, but Torterra was very useful for the type combination. As for a battle between the two, probably Torterra, because of stronger attack power and STAB EQ.
    To be fair, Venusaur has stronger Sp. Attack and STAB Sludge Bomb. STAB Grass Knot which will do a lot of damage to the very heavy Torterra too.
    Venusaur doesn't have such good ATK. In the fifth gen with Growth, it can be a very deadly physical sweeper, but in the fourth gen, Torterra surpasses it.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UberGarchomp View Post
    I used both in their respective games. I would say that I prefer Venusaur, but Torterra was very useful for the type combination. As for a battle between the two, probably Torterra, because of stronger attack power and STAB EQ.
    To be fair, Venusaur has stronger Sp. Attack and STAB Sludge Bomb. STAB Grass Knot which will do a lot of damage to the very heavy Torterra too.
    Venusaur doesn't have such good ATK. In the fifth gen with Growth, it can be a very deadly physical sweeper, but in the fourth gen, Torterra surpasses it.
    Venusaur has access to Sword Dance in Gen IV, so it's not much of a problem.

Psychotic Land Shark UberGarchomp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by UberGarchomp View Post
    Venusaur has access to Sword Dance in Gen IV, so it's not much of a problem.
    Hm. I guess. i still prefer Torterra though. Its dual typing is more useful in my eyes.

Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 LastLast