Venusaur vs Torterra
Venusaur and Torterra are the two Starters that most resemble each other physically, with Typhlosion and Charizard possibly coming in second. But they have a lot more in common than just that. These two Pokemon are nearly equal in every way.
1) They both have Starter status. What's more, they both have Grass Starter Status
2) They both have unique Starter typing
3) They both have four weaknesses (one less than their Second and Third Gen counterparts). These are:
Venusaur: Fire, Ice, Flying, Psychic
Torterra: Fire, Ice, Flying, Bug
4) Their secondary typings compliment their primary ones by cancelling each other's types out. To elaborate: Venusaur's Poison type is resisted by Torterra's Ground type. Torterra's Ground type is resisted by Venusaur's Grass type. Both Pokemon will hit each other neutrally at best with their STABS
5) Venusaur is the first fully evolved Grass Starter and, for the time being, Torterra is the last
6)Torterra is physically more capable while Venusaur's more specially inclined
Thing is, these guys are pretty evenly matched in almost every way possible. So, why don't you guys decide which of them is better?
So, which one do you prefer?
Who is the most useful overall?
Who would win in a battle?
I'm biased, but my choice is Venusaur. Venusaur is my favorite evolved Pokemon of all time (and it's pre-evolved form Bulbasaur takes the crown for favorite Pokemon overall). But even without my bias, Venusaur is the top Pokemon in UU at the moment. Torterra isn't. Venusaur's just too unpredictable to reliably check whereas Torterra will never be seen as something other than a physical sweeper or tank. Also, Venusaur's typing gives it an advantage against it's own Grass type. I think Venusaur is just about the most epic thing ever to grace Pokemon. That's just me though.
Other Venusaur Starter matchups:
Venusaur vs Meganium
Venusaur vs Sceptile
Venusaur vs Jaroda
Other Torterra Starter matchups:
Meganium vs Torterra
Sceptile vs Torterra
Torterra vs Jaroda