Trevenant vs. Gourgeist

View Poll Results: Trevenant or Gourgeist?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Trevenant

21 70.00%
  • Gourgeist

9 30.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trevenant vs. Gourgeist

Blog Entries

Default Trevenant vs. Gourgeist

VS

Unusually for Ghost-types, two new Pokemon of the same secondary type are introduced at the same time. The usual would be that if a Ghost-type were to be introduced, it would have a type that it never paired with, since it's a rare type. They're Trevenant and Gourgeist!

Both of these unique Pokemon have something special about them, starting from their unique moves that give the target a new type to use, which wouldn't work between them. Trevenant's also got Grass-type abilities while Gourgeist got four forms with different HP, Attack and Speed.

Here are some questions that would help you out:
    - Between the two of them, who will win?
    - Between the two of them, who is more useful?
    - Which move is better, Forest's Curse (Trevenant) or Trick-or-Treat (Gourgeist)?
    - Who's got the better looks?

Thanks for reading.
    “Hear no evil, and see no evil, abase not thyself, neither sigh and weep. Speak no evil, that thou mayest not hear it spoken unto thee, and magnify not the faults of others that thine own faults may not appear great; and wish not the abasement of anyone, that thine own abasement be not exposed.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Default Re: Trevenant vs. Gourgeist

As moves go, I want a good pure-Normal I can bring into a Double Battle and then use Trick-or-Treat on (Normal+Ghost ftw).
    Game: "Would you like to give a nickname to the newly hatched [Pokémon]?"
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

p'li pls Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

I absolutely love Trevenant (and Phantump). Right up there as one of my favourite lines. The designs are really cool and I used one on my team in Y, expecting nothing special from it, and it pulled its weight so much that I just fell in love. Gourgeist, I am not really a fan of. Pumpkaboo is really good, then Gourgeist just lets it down since its design is kind of awkward. It's by no means bad, and it's grown on me somewhat, but it's just lacking in comparison to Trevenant for me. (Also why doesn't it have Flash Fire?! It even learns some Fire attacks!)]

In battling Trevenant is just downright irritating with Harvest (50% activation my ass, it works every time) and I haven't really seen enough Gourgeist to comment on that.

Forest's Curse and Trick-or-Treat are interesting. I'm not sure if one is directly superior over the other since they can provide different strategies. Forest's Curse definitely has the better animation though.

Voted Trevenant.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kimono Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Kimono Dragon on Tumblr Visit Kimono Dragon's Youtube Channel

Trevenant is better because as Zeb mentioned, this Sponge tree can be really irritating with Horn Leech/WoW/Leech Seed/Harvest Sitrus or Lum berry in singles AND doubles while all I can see Gourgeist doing is making Normal/Ghost types or using ToT+Shadow Sneak.

Oh wicked spirit born of a lost soul in limbo...
    FC: 3583-0682-5894

Blog Entries

Ghost and Grass are my favourite types, so X and Y containing not one, but two Ghost/Grass evolutionary chains was a dream come true. Phantump, Trevenant and Pumpkaboo are all among my favourite Pokemon, and I was very eager to see what the latter evolved into.

But Gourgeist... I was disappointed. I just don't like its design very much; it felt like a lot more could have been done with a jack-o'-lantern Pokemon. I'd have preferred it stayed focused on the pumpkin itself, for lack of a better way to put it. I like spooky-looking Pokemon, and Gourgeist just looks kind of goofy.

Trevenant for me.

Trevenant are definitely stronger.. but I like gourgeist's design. So I voted for it, but they're both great honestly.
    BUGS!!
    We hope that, when the insects take over the world, they will remember with gratitude how we took them along on all our picnics.
    Currently wildly, violently obsessed with danganronpa..

超高校級の自然主義者

Don't you worry, child... Fairy Ice Ricky's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky On Twitter
    Follow Fairy Ice Ricky on Tumblr

Trevenant gets my vote--I simply love its design. It's very simple, but the details add so much to its personality.
    ... See heaven's got a plan for you~
    3DS Friend Code: 5086-1398-3204
    3DS/Pokémon X Name: Ricky
    Friend Safari: Steel - Klefki, Ferroseed, Forretress
    (Message me if you add my code and would like me to add you back!)
    Claims: Lucario & Lucarionite ▪|▪ Teravolt ▪|▪ Fusion Bolt
    Red Orb ▪|▪ Boutique [Pokémon X/Y]

Blog Entries

I just finished training my Gourgeist and my Trevenant. Of the two, I have to say that I prefer the latter. Gourgeist is alright as a Pokemon, but its design is pretty goofy and its size gimmick is annoying.

Also, not only does Forest's Curse look better than Trick-or-Treat, it's also relevant to Trevenant's personality (as told by the Pokedex) AND relevant to the game as (I'd like to assume) it's what causes the Lost Woods-esque portion of Route 20.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

I actually love both of these. I was totally excited the first time I heard there was going to be a pumpkin pokemon AT LONG LAST. And incidentally, I also wanted a tree pokemon really badly. Imagine my surprise when I get both of them! And with the same typing! (now we need my moose pokemon...)

I expected I would like Gourgeist the most, and I really like him, but Trevenant is way more awesome than I anticipated. So I voted for the tree!

Blog Entries

Gourgeist, of course. It's absolutely adorable! It's also much more unique with the four possible sizes. Still have yet to find a Super Size, but I'm looking~

It looks better, there's much more variety to it in battle, and it's even creepier than Trevenant, contrary to appearances. So Gourgiest it is, for me~

I will have to put my vote down for Gourgeist.

I have been able to do so many fun and interesting things using Gourgeist's trick-or-treat move, and the fact that there are multiple varieties just adds to the versatility of how the player can choose to deploy it.

- I've used trick-or-treat to paint targets with the Ghost typing to be taken out by a Dark or Ghost move (say, from Weavile or Absol) where I would've otherwise had no typing advantage at all.

- I've seen it used defensively on a monster tank of a Probopass, removing the otherwise crippling X4 Fighting weakness entirely.

- However, my personal favorite use of trick-or-treat so far has been to use it on my own Mega-Lucario in doubles matches. It gains ludicrous STAB from its adaptability ability on moves like Shadow Ball/Shadow Claw, which is a nasty surprise vs. the bulky Psychic types that a lot of players answer the Lucario threat with. The added immunity to Normal/Fighting moves can also throw off an opponent who planned to use Lucario's weakness to Fighting against it. It gains some weaknesses from the added Ghost typing, but not usually what the opponent is going to think to bring against a Lucario.

Blog Entries

I voted Trevenant because its design is so superior to Gorgeist's. Pumpkaboo had great potential and then Gourgeist just ruined it. Trevenant is a brilliant idea and very well executed.
    When you play the game of thrones, you win or you die...

I like Trevenant's design a lot more. Plus, Phantump is extremely cute and has one of the best cries in the games.

Follow King Fissamé On Twitter

I like both Pokemon, but Trevenant is better
    http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/images/signaturepics/sigpic75427_4.gif

Blog Entries

I prefer Gourgeist. It's more interesting to me, it has better moves, Trick-or-Treat can create some interesting combinations, and I find it adorable AND creepy at the same time.

Trevenant is... meh, it's okay. It has some nice power and such to it, but it doesn't quite interest me. Sure, its design and style of play fit the bill for it, but I just can't seem to be willing to use it. I've tried it, but it just doesn't work for me.

I've loved Pumpkaboo ever since it was leaked, and I find the whole size thing interesting, especially since it can affect it stats, making it more than just a cosmetic change, unlike Furfrou. And even though Gourgeist's design is not as "impressive" as Trevenant's, I find it better, more simple yet fitting. Heck, I find Phantump better than Trevenant due to its cute/creepy look and interesting cry, but the Pumpkaboo family is definitely my preferred choice between the two.

So I vote for the Pumpkin. It just looks/feels better to me than that walking tree, plus I find it more interesting. So I choose the pumpkin.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast