Staraptor Vs. Braviary

View Poll Results: Which Bird of Prey is better?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Staraptor

28 56.00%
  • Braviary

22 44.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Staraptor Vs. Braviary

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Staraptor Vs. Braviary

We know that both are kickarse birds of prey, but this series isn't big enough for both:

Which has a cooler design?

Which is more useful?

Who will win in an organic dogfight (battle in the sky if you don't get it)?

Who is overall better?

Blog Entries

Default Re: Staraptor Vs. Braviary

This is tough since I love them both.

Both their designs are awesome (badass punk mohawk vs. Sioux war bonnet) and their attack is incredible.

I'd have to say Braviary by a tiny edge since he learns Rock Slide and has higher HP and defense than Staraptor.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

EV-Wizard/PeculiarBattler League's Avatar
    Firstly, the Teleportation zone. Thirdly, the "Onoka" Elite Four. Fourthly, the Garden Grotto. Secondly, Oak's laboratory. And lastly, A hoedown-deeny hoedown!
    Blog Entries

DW Braviary is made to be Defiant in the face of Intimidat[ion].

[Because I like Crush Claw so much, I don't like Braviary & Sheer Force...]

Nah, Braviary is based off the ultimate bird, and its design and inspiration adds to that. I'd vote for it in almost any poll you put it in, or else, I'd simply abstain from voting! (I do like a few pokemon a bit more, you see.)
    Feel free(r) to discuss Battle Strategy with me--I'll discuss anything really.

Besides being a strange (retired) battler with a storied, legendary, mythical, exaggerated, and relatively unknown career, I am also an amateur English B&W anime reviewer. (pachiba, you like?)

And I take hoedowns seriously.

Blog Entries

Braviary. He`s an eagle, no bird is cooler than an eagle.

Blog Entries

I'm leaning towards Braviary. Even though it doesn't rock my competitive soul it's design is just too awesome to pass up. Staraptor's emo fringe never grew on me quite the same way...
    White FC: 1678-3054-7710
    Black 2 FC: 3053 3827 7149

Black 2

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

I like Staraptor's design better. So Staraptor

VGC Player The Knights of Wario Land's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Staraptor gets Intimidate and Reckless, while Braviary gets Keen Eye, Sheer Force, and Defiant, none of which are spectacular abilities.

Staraptor gets Close Combat, while Braviary gets Superpower. Close Combat >>> Superpower

Staraptor is available near the beginning of the game, Braviary is available waaay too late in the game.

Staraptor is an emo starling, what's not to like? Braviary however looks too similar to a real eagle to be considered unique.

So Staraptor totally wins in my book.
    Black 2 FC: 2151-5959-1760

Wanna delve into the deep world of the Pokemon VGCs? Then head on over to user-run NuggetBridge for all of your needs!

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I love Braviary a lot but Staraptor wins because he really helped me way back when I played D/P/Pt. Its easy to get, train and abuse and I love the u-turn + Intimidate combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Staraptor. It was my first Gen.IV shiny and the Pokemon I learned EV training on. I really can't like the other one since they replaced the awesome,bad-ass sounding name Wargle it has in Japan.

Blog Entries
    Follow Blue Dragon On Twitter
    Follow Blue Dragon on Tumblr

I despise Staraptor's appearance it really is embarrassing in my opinion. On the other hand Braviary's appearance looks just like a majestic bold eagle and such a fantastic design. In a battle together I would say that Braviary would win hands down.

With it's greater style, power and decent bulk Braviary gets my vote.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Competitively, Staraptor is superior to Braviary.

That said, Staraptor's design is actually one of my least favorite starting bird designs (I like him better than Unfeazant though.) I still like Staraptor, but I much prefer Braviary.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Braviary is the better one. Being based on an eagle, this one is quite magnificent. While Braviary is hard to train (you have to reach a high level and you level up slow) it can be good to use because he is strong. Its movepool is quite good, with a way to punish Rock and Steel Pokemon with Superpower and have Bulk Up as a boosting move, although he could use some adjustments like the addition of more Sheer Force-compatible moves. Still, Defiant is a nice ability for this Pokemon. It's just a pity that he's a male-only Pokemon, because the inability to learn Egg Moves can be troublesome.

Personally, I think Staraptor is not a well-designed Pokemon. Its appearance is good, yes, but it is too good for little effort, which is not how a powerful Pokemon should be. To illustrate my point, Staraptor, as an early-game Pokemon, is easy to breed and train like all the other early-game Pokemon, and the moves it needed are level-up moves (Brave Bird and Close Combat), TMs (Return and U-turn) and Egg Moves (Roost (easy to find a parent) and Double-Edge; Double-Edge is hard to get, but you don't need to get it because of Return). Others may argue that this is why Staraptor is great, but personally I believe that a great Pokemon should have meaningful difficulties to raise (so for example, make Close Combat a Braviary only move, so the raiser needs to train Braviary before training Staraptor).

That's it for now.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

Staraptor for every category. That thing is amazing, in battle and by design. And since it's an early capture, there is more time for it to be useful.

Blog Entries

Staraptor has a pretty sweet design.
    So does Briavary, but i'm not really the most patriotic of American citizens.
    And it's really annoying to train Rufflet to level 54 to receive a pokemon that's not even that awesome in battle.
    And I have some nostalgia with Staraptor.
    My vote goes to Staraptor.

Hang the DJ.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Braviary, for sure. I think it looks way cooler. It became my favorite bird Pokemon the first time I saw it. I always thought eagles were cool too. :]

It's also cool that it can learn Crush Claw.

EDIT: I didn't have much trouble training a Rufflet...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast