• Scyther

38 31.93%
  • Scizor

81 68.07%
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Scyther vs. Scizor

Registered User Oddium Wanderus's Avatar

Default Re: Scyther Or Scizor?

I prefer Scyther's design over Scizor's, but Scizor is more useful than Scyther. Sure, Scyther has speed and only a 2x weakness to Fire, but Scizor has STAB Bullet Punch, and Scyther not only has tons of other weaknesses, but is plenty frail as is.

Default Scyther vs. Scizor

[edit: Wow, thread mergers are NEVER pretty.]

Me, I'm a Scyther fan.

- I never really liked Scizor's design (I respect it, sure, I just don't like it). It's probably the one G2 Pokemon I just don't like.
    - I know Scizor is stronger physically, but at a BST of 500 Scyther isn't exactly weak... he and Pinsir were in fact the strongest Bug types in Gen I.
    - Scyther's Flying-type gives him STAB on Wing Attack (all 35PP of it) and Aerial Ace (which never misses). Both of these moves are eligible for Technician, too! Aerial Ace + Technician = Flying-type Aura Sphere.
    - Scyther's eligible for Eviolite. Eviolite Scyther gets an effective 580 BST, which is roughly equal to actual legendary Pokemon.
    - As Bugsy demonstrated in HGSS, Scyther's high Speed makes him a great fit for U-Turn because he can strike AND swap out before the opponent even gets a shot at him.

The irony is I haven't kept a Scyther on my teams since G2 and G3, before Eviolite and U-Turn even existed, so I haven't actually put those last two points to actual tests.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 7th August 2013 at 12:14 PM.

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

Default Re: Scyther vs. Scizor

I'm going to have to go with Scizor, I prefer the way it looks more like an actual insect than the almost dinosaur-like Scyther. Whereas Scyther has one of the worst type combinations in the game, Scizor undoubtedly has one of the best. Add in amazing stats, insane utility value and an appealing colour scheme and it's no secret why people flock to this Pokemon like moths to a flame. About U-turn though, it actually works best on slow Pokemon who can both take a hit (so your teammate comes in unscathed) and pack the threat of enough power to force a switch. Hence why Scizor is the best user of the move in the game.

I quite like Scyther too, but it can't really hold a candle to Scizor.

Blog Entries
    Follow Saeyru On Twitter

Scizor looks more badass, and is more useful than Scyther. The latter's higher speed isn't really worth the 4x rock weak, and I'll take the former's increase physical bulk and power anyday.

I can see value in the slow U-turn tactic (e.g. Regenerator Mienfoo), but I think it depends on the context. Much like how Roost won't protect you against Grass or Fighting if you're faster than the opponent. If you can switch in to something resistant to the opponent's anticipated move, a fast U-Turn is better than a slow one.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Scyther looks like the traditional ninja and Scizor the technical ninja.

Both are equally badass to me. Scyther is weaker because of that Flying typing, although I do like its design more than Scizor.

I wonder what would happen to both though if there was an offensive equivalent to Eviolite... I still doubt Scyther would outclass Scizor since they'd use an inherently different gameplay (which is good).

Still, as it goes right now, despite the better U-Turn Scizor has that terrific Bullet Punch and more survivability, so I'd say it's more viable in general.

Personal experience makes me preffer the former even though I really like the later: Scyther always looked to me like the one Bug that would've promised the Bug type would be an strong type... if only it had a powerful STAB move to wield. So I personally preffer it to Scizor, even though VERY slightly.
    Then in Gen II Bugsy had one that if you didn't know what Fury Cutter did could legitimately sweep your team. Really, Scyther is one of the reasons I like the Bug type so much in general.

I still want a third Scimitar-wielding Bug/Dark evolution too

[/overexposition]

I prefer Scyther. I don't competitively battle so my opinion has nothing things like that. I've had a Scyther that I caught in FireRed who has been my go to False Swipper for a long time. I used him to catch my 999 Pokemon for my Mew and he has helped me catch many more.

Blog Entries

Scizor for me. It is overall design and color scheme is more pleasing than Scyther's, though I do prefer Scyther's blades over Scizor's pincers.

Follow Mokoniki on Tumblr Visit Mokoniki's Youtube Channel

As much as I like speed on my Pokemon, I picked Scizor because I prefer its design and I just think it's a very cool Pokemon.

"My hobbies include staring at hot asian men, crying over hot asian men, and shipping hot asian men with other hot asian men~"
    Quotes stolen from tumblr. Claims: Zhong Hui, Xu Shu, Sewddle, Protect, Sitrus Berry, Max Repel, and Sap Sipper

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

Personally, I like Scizor primarily because it managed to do the impossible: it made Scyther cooler. It's also a beast in competitive battling.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

I love both designs, but going with Scizor. It's much more badass and more useful in battle.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheOwl View Post
    \I've had a Scyther that I caught in FireRed who has been my go to False Swipper for a long time. I used him to catch my 999 Pokemon for my Mew\
    Did no one else laugh at this?

Also, Scyther is cooler to me because while both are threatening, Scyther has the terrifying "organic" feel to it, like it was some freak product of evolution that can only be found in the Amazon, whereas Scizor is more of a robot.

(Also, I am aware that Scizor is the best useful competitive pokemon, I just don't care)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234