Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Sceptile vs Serperior

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Sceptile vs Serperior

Sceptile vs Jaroda

VS

Don't think this exists yet. If it does, feel free to close this. So, these two are currently the most popular Grass Starters (note: most popular =/= best). They're both pure Grass type, they're both speed demons (first and second fastest Starters ever) but Sceptile takes a more offensive approach whereas Serperior prefers defense.

Sceptile's pros are it's speed and attacking stats, plus it's wide movepool (widest movepool of all the Grass Starters). Unburden makes it even faster and activating it almost certainly requires a pinch berry (like Peteya or Leichi) which makes it even stronger. It's cons are it's bad defenses and offensive typing.

Serperior's pros include it's speed and defenses. It also has the awesome Perversity ability, which if you don't know, reverses the stat gains/loses of it's attacks. This means that it gets the equivalent of a Nasty Plot boost every time it uses Leaf Storm. Coil and Calm Mind are the last things that are noteworthy about it. Two unique moves (as far as Grass Starters are concerned) that, between the two of them, increase it's Attack, Special Attack, Defense, Special Defense and Accuracy one stage. Cons include it's laughable attacking stats and HP, it's shallow movepool and the fact that it can't successfully abuse Perversity, Coil and Calm Mind on the same set.

So,

Which of these two Pokemon do you prefer?

Which one is more useful?

Which one would win in a battle?

I'll be honest, Serperior looks really boss, but he just doesn't hold a candle to Sceptile. The original Grass speedster wins this one for me. Wider movepool, better attacking stats complimented by it's speed, Sceptile has all the right tools in all the right places to succeed. As a defensive Pokemon, Serperior really doesn't care for speed. It's HP and Speed stats should have been reversed. That would have made it amazing. Oh well, at least it makes it unique. Still, Sceptile is miles ahead of Serperior here. Sorry Smuglord, maybe some other time.
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 20th April 2012 at 12:50 PM. Reason: name change
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Visit The Miniryu's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Sceptile vs Jaroda

ill decide when BW hits the USA
    The wind howls...The rain pours...A figure appears in the darkness...The Minryu approaches..............

Blog Entries

Sceptile is awesome, but Jaroda is even more awesome.

AdvanceShipper Dawn Fan HeatTagShipper

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

You don't want to know about my Sceptile in SS:

I'll show you his moves and level:

Level: 92
    Moves:
    -Agility
    -Leaf Blade
    -Swords Dance
    -Rock Slide

It kicks all sorts of ass. That's why I love Sceptile. Although, I think Jaroda looks cooler.
    Last edited by Der_Neuevenmenschen; 30th September 2010 at 06:48 PM.

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

I prefer Jaroda, due to design.

I resent that "So, these two are currently the most popular Grass Starters (note: most popular =/= best)." I like Venusaur and Torterra best. But that is beside the point. After hearing what Perversity does, Jaroda has much more appeal to me. Leaf Storm isn't useless to me anymore! I've thought that Sceptile could be so much more than it is, but isn't. I'm going to go with Jaroda for now. I'll see how he handles once I get the game.

Blog Entries

Jaroda = unloved bastard child of Sceptile and Meganium. It got a mix of Meganium's defenses (only worse) and Sceptile's speed (again, worse) and the only reason it looks cool is because no one liked it so it got plastic surgery so that it could fool people into thinking it was actually useful with it's looks.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rbogey View Post
    I resent that "So, these two are currently the most popular Grass Starters (note: most popular =/= best)." I like Venusaur and Torterra best. But that is beside the point. After hearing what Perversity does, Jaroda has much more appeal to me. Leaf Storm isn't useless to me anymore! I've thought that Sceptile could be so much more than it is, but isn't. I'm going to go with Jaroda for now. I'll see how he handles once I get the game.
    Facts are facts. Go to the threads discussing the Grass Starters and you'll see that Sceptile and Jaroda are both at the top of the popularity contest. Popular doesn't mean best. This is also a fact. Who the best Grass Starter is, is up for debate, although I adamantly believe the title goes to Venusaur.

Regardless, I don't understand were you take offense to the comment. I said several factual things, not my opinion in any way, shape or form. My favorite Grass Starters are Venusaur and Meganium (arguably the least popular ones) and as I said, who the "best" one is, is up for debate.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rakarei View Post
    Jaroda = unloved bastard child of Sceptile and Meganium. It got a mix of Meganium's defenses (only worse) and Sceptile's speed (again, worse) and the only reason it looks cool is because no one liked it so it got plastic surgery so that it could fool people into thinking it was actually useful with it's looks.
    and is far more useful then Meganium will ever be. Seriously Meganium doesn't get any good stat up moves While Jaroda gets both Coil and Calm Mind

So he can either Be a pysical wall+ Sweeper or Special Wall+ Sweeper. Plus Perversity makes him a monster.

He's actually the most versitile Grass starter if you think about it. he Can be both a wall and a Sweeper while Meganium is just defeseonly

Actually he can be a better Physical Sweeper then Sceptile as Sceptile is leened more towars the special end of the spectrum.

But I love both Sceptile and Jaroda equally

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    and is far more useful then Meganium will ever be. Seriously Meganium doesn't get any good stat up moves While Jaroda gets both Coil and Calm Mind

So he can either Be a pysical wall+ Sweeper or Special Wall+ Sweeper. Plus Perversity makes him a monster.

He's actually the most versitile Grass starter if you think about it. he Can be both a wall and a Sweeper while Meganium is just defeseonly

Actually he can be a better Physical Sweeper then Sceptile as Sceptile is leened more towars the special end of the spectrum.

I'm not going to get into this with you again, and this isn't the right place for me to adamantly defend the other Starters, but suffice to say that you're very wrong about that statement, as I've already proved in the Clash of the Grass Starters thread.

Blog Entries

I agreed that Jaroda > Meganium, but Jaroda has base 75 attack while Sceptile has base 85 and access to Swords Dance. In terms of physical attacking it's far superior to Jaroda.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    I'm not going to get into this with you again, and this isn't the right place for me to adamantly defend the other Starters, but suffice to say that you're very wrong about that statement, as I've already proved in the Clash of the Grass Starters thread.
    I was mearly pointing out that Jaroda can be versitile just because you can't just crush everybody doesn't make it useless. He might not have the best move-pool or the best stats (actually he has the second highest BST after Sceptile)

Blog Entries

I was mearly pointing out that Jaroda can be versitile just because you can't just crush everybody doesn't make it useless. He might not have the best move-pool or the best stats (actually he has the second highest BST after Sceptile)

You clearly weren't. You were clearly making it seem like Jaroda was the best shit to ever hit the Grass type. This is in fact not true.

Venusaur is by far the most versatile Grass Starter. Better bulk than Jaroda on the special side, great defensive and offesnive typing, MUCH better Attacking stats on both sides of the spectrum, access to Sleep Powder and a much better physical STAB means that it can go physical, special, mixed, physical tank, special tank, toxic spikes absorber, sun abuser (Chlorophyll), physical wall, special wall, subseeder, annoyer, lead... Do you want me to continue?

I already pointed out why Meganium's better than Jaroda in the Grass clash thread, as well as proven you wrong in the misconception that she doesn't have stat boosting moves (Reflect, Light Screen, Swords Dance), most of which help support her team to boot. Additionally, she also laughs at Satus because of Aromatherapy, Safeguard and Leaf Guard (in the sun). She's a great team player, which is what she's built for. Also, did I mention the better overall bulk? Jaroda is a mediocre wall, which is what he's built for. With this information, Meganium is clearly superior to Jaroda.

Sceptile and Torterra really need no explanation.

I'm not denying that Jaroda has it's uses. It's very specific niche uses, and I pointed out in the OP that it does have it's share of useful tools and advantages.

BST doesn't matter, Base Stat distribution does. Let me put it to you this way. For the longest time, Scizor was the top Pokemon in OU. His BST? 500. That's a crappy BST by many accounts, yet they were all placed in the right areas to make it a real behemoth. See where I'm going with this?

Formerly Wachamp Neon_Seadra No. 10's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jaroda looks cooler, but his stat distribution isn't the best. I've never really liked Sceptiles, don't know why.
    My Seadra's brighter than your Seadra.

The Blog

Thanks to IslandWalker for the Avatar!

Blog Entries

Jaroda is so pretty and awesome looking while I never liked Sceptile much.

Instant win for Jaroda.

Stay. Away. From. My. Cookie.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast