11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rollout

9 81.82%
  • Rage

2 18.18%

Thread: Rollout vs Gen I Rage

Default Rollout vs Gen I Rage

Which is better

Mod's edit: Rage in Gen 1 works differently from Rage in other generations. In Generation 1, Rage is continuous like Rollout and Ice Ball now, except it raises the user's Attack stage by one if an attack hits or Disable hits (Stadium only; in the Game Boy games, Disable's miss will work). You can't do anything else (besides switching) if Rage is selected as an attack.
    Last edited by winstein; 5th January 2012 at 05:27 AM. Reason: typo

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rollout vs Rage Gen II

They do not work the same. Rage works pretty much the same as in the later generations, and Rollout has always done the same thing.

Rage did lock you in the first generation, but generally isn't really an useful move (made completely useless in Gen. 1), primarly because the attack gain is just a normal boost (or is it?) and deppends on taking damage, which is kinda pointless if you can't use another move.

So Rollout wins hands down because of that and its own advantages.

[/overexposition]

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Indeed, Generation 1 is the only Generation that Rage worked differently. In my opinion, the Generation 2 thing is unnecessary because they both work the same in Generations to come. However, they do have the feature of increasing damage after each use.

That's said, Rollout is a lot better for a few reasons: 1) Rollout is a Rock-type attack, meaning that nothing is immune to the attack, and as the attack gets stronger, it will be harder and harder to avoid the hit. 2) Rollout is more powerful, and thus it will be even more painful if the attacker isn't dealt with. 3) Compared to Rage, there are more Pokemon with Rollout. The only thing Rage has over Rollout is indeed the accuracy. If you are able to patch up the accuracy issue like with Hone Claws (like Ursaring and Sandslash), Rollout will be quite dangerous.

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Its gen I it was different i thought it was gen II?

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

It has to be Rollout. It's far from practical, but once you've built up enough power, it's devastating. Even Shuckle without Power Trick can do some serious damage by turn 4 or 5. Rock-type moves are perhaps the best offensive moves of all, which is another huge advantage over Rage. Rage is better in Gen II and beyond, (It was, without a doubt, the worst attack ever in Gen I) but it's still worthless.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Rollout is one of my favorite moves. Rage never seemed very useful to me....

Blog Entries

A better comparision would be Rollout and Fury Cutter, but Fury Cutter is intentionally weaker for some unexplainable reason, nevermind bug types needed powerful moves in that Generation.

That and Rock moves are pretty reliable, not being resisted by many and having plenty of SE. And it CAN devastate an entire team under the right circunstances, as a certain Miltank demostrates.

[/overexposition]

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Rollout, no duh, because it brings more coverage than Rage.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by torkoal96 View Post
    Its gen I it was different i thought it was gen II?
    So you are comparing the Generation 1 Rage with Rollout? If you think the "Gen II" is unnecessary, then it can be removed in the title and the poll.

That's it for now.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

i thought it was gen 2 it was different because they are different typing cause rollout is ground and i think rage is normal
    but if you could change the title plz that would be great

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    If you think the "Gen II" is unnecessary, then it can be removed in the title and the poll.
    Well, he IS comparing Gen I Rage, so specifying that would be rather necessary.

[/overexposition]

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Rollout vs Gen I Rage

Rollout. My typhlosion's rollout in gen 2 killed 2 of Lance's dragonite. It is a very good attack.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.