Megas Battle: Sceptile vs. Blaziken vs. Swampert

View Poll Results: Favorite Mega Hoenn Starter?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mega Sceptile

12 52.17%
  • Mega Blaziken

6 26.09%
  • Mega Swampert

5 21.74%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Megas Battle: Sceptile vs. Blaziken vs. Swampert

Default Megas Battle: Sceptile vs. Blaziken vs. Swampert

It had to be done.

CoroCoro reveals that Sceptile and Swampert are looking forward to Mega evolutions, making them the second full set of starter Pokemon to get Megas (after the Kanto starters, of course).

So which one looks like it'll be your favorite, either in design or battle or whatever?

Mega Sceptile
    - Reportedly Grass/Dragon. This gives Sceptile a crippling weakness to Ice (not unusual among either Grass or Dragon types), but double resistances to Grass, Water, and Electric.
    - Reported ability: Lightningrod. Okay, so its typing doesn't exactly need the added immunity to Electric, but the boost in Sp.Atk will be welcome just the same (plus the shielding an ally from Electric in multi battles).

Mega Blaziken
    - Admittedly, we already know everything about Blaziken's Mega Evolution: It gets Speed Boost and is considered totally OP by Smogon battlers.

Mega Swampert
    - Reported ability: Swift Swim. Swampert always was the slow and bulky one of the group.

(Disclaimer: I'd say more about Blaziken or Swampert, but I don't have much experience with them.)
    Game: "Would you like to give a nickname to the newly hatched [Pokémon]?"
    Trevor: "You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    XY Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210 (feel free to add me before asking, it saves time)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Megas Battle: Sceptile vs. Blaziken vs. Swampert

Objectively, Mega Blaziken is still the best. Speed Boost + High Jump Kick + it's stats are just broken.

I'm still choosing Mega Sceptile tho, because it's my favorite of the three.

Both it and Swampert got cheated with their abilities. Lightningrod is useless (in singles anyway) on a Pokemon that already 4x resists Electric, and Sceptile has to switch in and Mega evolve before it can even trigger its benefits, at which point the opponent will know exactly what you're planning and just not use Electric moves. Swampert's Swift Swim would be good if Politoed was still relevant...and if it had the Speed stat to abuse it with.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Returning to Hoenn LavenderTownGhost's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Even though Swampert is my favorite and I will be going with him, to me Mega Sceptile looks the best.
    "Halloween is every day!" -Sharon Needles

Banner made by Instrutilus

Blog Entries

Mega Swampert and Mega Sceptile look fantastic, yes, but Mega Blaziken is just amazing~ While the other two look like they'll shine in doubles, Mega Blaziken puts in work pretty well on its own and has a much better movepool, making it more favorable to me.

In terms of looks and appearance, they all look like badass monsters that can tear sh*t up~ I could be biased and say Blaziken looks the best, but honestly, they all have such good qualities that I have to make it a three way tie.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

In part, I hope Mega Sceptile gets an stats boost to offset its awful ability, but then I remember GameFreak hates Grass types.

Seriously though, it gains a 4x weakness and esentially loses its ability. The Dragon-type benefits just aren't enough to offset this. (And that GF considers Dragons overpowered doesn't help)

I wouldn't diss Mega Swampert too quickly though. While it looks bulky, it could get the just right combination of strength and bulk to become a decently quick supertank, which has its merits.

That said... I am happy to finally have a Grass/Dragon. Although I hoped they'd actually design a pokémon entirely on the concept rather than just add dragon to something, but oh well.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Well Mega Blaziken is better as of now but when I get the new game Treecko will be my starter so I will be using his new Mega Evolution.

Swampert because Sceptile and Blaziken can't lift.

Claimer of Garchomp and Steam Eruption

3DS 4682-9334-0694

Blog Entries

I prefer both Mega Sceptile and Mega Blaziken to Mega Swampert as I do their normal forms. Sceptile and Blaziken are just so much cooler looking to me. I guess gaining the dragon-type is cool for Sceptile, it doesn't really surprise me. Speed Boost is awesome for Blaziken whose already fast and Lightningrod seems like it would be very useful with a Discharging partner.

Now don't get me wrong. Mega Swampert is a big, badass, bulky, beast, and Swift Swim can give it the needed boost in speed. But I just like the other two more.

I don't think Mega Blaziken can beat Mega Swampert 1 on 1. It'll be the same as before... Swampert>Blaziken>Sceptile>Swampert.
    Peanut Butter Jelly Time

I have to wonder how useful Mega Swampert would be with Swift Swim. I doubt his speed stat is going to increase, and if it does, it is probably going to be very marginal. I'd probably be sticking to regular Swampert and giving him a more useful item. I don't even like the design. Swampert deserves better.

Mega Blaziken, no contest. Speed Boost is really awesome. He looks cool, too.

Mega Sceptile, I have to admit that the typing is really bland. Dragons have become a real pain to use because they're easily countered. He now has a 4x weakness to Ice, which is so common in teams it is going to be difficult to utilize. Also, Lightning Rod? Seriously? Why? I mean, it's a good counter for Electric attacks, but why him? I don't get it. They could have given him a much better ability. If they want to be nonsensical, how about Storm Drain? Not enough Pokemon have that ability and water is all over the place. He's a plant and he could have absorbed water. I don't know. My imagination was never that great to begin with so maybe I'm missing something. Oh well, he looks really cool, I'll give him that!

I love Mega Sceptile's design, but I love Mega Blaziken's battle abilities. Swampert, unless there is more released about him (like his stats), I will be keeping as Swampert. I really don't have high hopes for his Mega form, but who knows? It's too soon to completely dismiss him. He could prove me wrong and have some sweet stats. :)

Blog Entries

Mega Blaziken! Torchic for the win, ever since the R/S days.
    A true friend freely, advises justly, assists readily, adventures boldly, takes all patiently, defends courageously, and continues a friend unchangeably.
    -William Penn

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by snowlioness87 View Post
    Also, Lightning Rod? Seriously? Why? I mean, it's a good counter for Electric attacks, but why him? I don't get it. They could have given him a much better ability. If they want to be nonsensical, how about Storm Drain? Not enough Pokemon have that ability and water is all over the place. He's a plant and he could have absorbed water. I don't know. My imagination was never that great to begin with so maybe I'm missing something. Oh well, he looks really cool, I'll give him that!
    It's not that nonsensical. It seems most likely that the tail functions as the Lightning Rod, similar to the horns of other Pokemon, like Rhydon's family. Not saying it's the best ability ever they could have given him, but it has some sense to it.

Join the toad side! Emperor Palpitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Mega Swampert. He looks funny and strong at the same time while the others (which are great too) dont have the same level of fun in their design.
    JOIN THE TOAD SIDE
    AND MAY THE BLUE FORCE BE WITH YOU
    AND I AM NOT YOUR FATHER!

Not really a fan of any of the 3 - but I'm willing to give [Mega] Swampert a chance - design wise looks better than the other 2, hope it will be good in battle.
    #1 Patrat & Watchog Fan Ever!! just love those PokeMeerkats!!
    I also love the - PokeMustelids - PokeFelines - PokeFoxes too!

Blog Entries
    Follow Felly On Twitter
    Follow Felly on Tumblr

Mega Sceptile. Mega Blaziken is just overrated, and I'm not particularly fond of Mega Swampert's look as a Mega. .-.

URPG Grader, Ranger, Official, & Referee
    URPG Stats || Petalburg Woods

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast