• Torterra

35 58.33%
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meganium vs Torterra

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Meganium vs Torterra

Quote Originally Posted by MEGA-NIUM View Post
    I've noticed something as ive played pokemon more. the only reason pokemon are OU is because ppl are made to believe that their the best. i dont believe in OU and uber being awesome. infact dispite that everyone doesnt seem to like meganium every pokemon is different. in truth(and make fun of my philosophy if ya want to) any pokemon, contrary to official stat bounderies can beat another. meganium can beat torterra wether ppl like to believe it or not. I say we should use pokemon we like not ones that others want us to. thats why i use grumpig and walrien. i believe that they are great and that belief has gotten me through many situations. I guess my main message is dont EVER overlook a pokemon because of its typical attributes. theres always one thats above the rest out there.

thank you
    Meganium defeats Torterra in battle. There's no question about that.

I'm a huge proponent for Meganium, ask anyone. Problem is you're making Torterra out to be a piece of crap compared to Meganium, which is simply not true. In general terms, Torterra does have more uses than Meganium (Torterra: phys wall/phys tank/phys sweeper/subSeeder. Meganium: Subseeder/phys wall/sp. wall).

He also has a secondary type that happens to be one of (if not THE) best offensive types in the game.

Meganium, on the other hand, has better overall defenses (though he's bulkier physically, she can take both physical and special hits, which he can't) and doesn't have any crippling 4x weakness.

It's not as simple as saying one is better than the other, period. You have to look at both Pokemon, what they're capable of and what they're weak to before you decide which one is more suited to your style. Then you can give an informed opinion.
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 12th November 2010 at 12:17 AM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

im sorry i think you may have misinterpreted the whole meaning of my statement. im kinda over this whole torterra fight and seeing as how no one is gonna rally for a pokemon that deserves more attention i guess trying to change peoples minds is dumb idea

Fuck You, Stealth Rock sqwat500's Avatar

thanks im glad someone is with me on this. i feel like i've made the ultimate achievent when beating all of heartgold(including red) in one day with meganium. torterra cant even come close to something like that
    this is false. i beat all of the soulsilver storyline (pre and post elite four with torterra. and it was almost a solo too, since i don't use legands in game, and i usually only level up my starter
    ^Thanks Blazeaking Ex!

Non-perverted Lopunny fan Ground Control's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    Meganium defeats Torterra in battle. There's no question about that.

I'm a huge proponent for Meganium, ask anyone. Problem is you're making Torterra out to be a piece of crap compared to Meganium, which is simply not true. In general terms, Torterra does have more uses than Meganium (Torterra: phys wall/phys tank/phys sweeper/subSeeder. Meganium: Subseeder/phys wall/sp. wall).

He also has a secondary type that happens to be one of (if not THE) best offensive types in the game.

Meganium, on the other hand, has better overall defenses (though he's bulkier physically, she can take both physical and special hits, which he can't) and doesn't have any crippling 4x weakness.

It's not as simple as saying one is better than the othere, period. You have to look at both Pokemon, what they're capable of and what they're weak to before you decide which one is more suited to your style. Then you can give an informed opinion.

Now here's a well-thought out post.

Both of these Pokemon are great in their own regard. Torterra has stats in all the right places for what it's meant to do. To be a defensive tank. He gets Stealth Rock and Rock Polish, which means he can even be made a sweeper if you choose to. He has a gaping Ice weakness due to his Ground type, but with that Ground type he gets STAB with one of the best moves in the game.

Meganium is no sissy, though. Although I like Torterra's design more, I can respect Meganium's. The antennae are a nice touch, and it has one of the most beautiful flowers in the game. I think they did well with making it able to look both friendly and intimidating. Just watch the anime. I've yet to raise a Meganium for myself, but the fact that can dual-screen is quite a blessing. I do wish it had more variety in the Special Attack move category, but I'm glad to see it has some good physical moves, if one were to create a Sword Dance set. That's something Torterra can't do.

I choose Torterra, just because I like its design more. However, unlike some, I don't judge a Pokemon on its appearance.

Pokémon Black

Something for nothing Cyber Jet's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meganium for looks and its a hell of a wall.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

i feel as if theres an ordnance against meganium here. i guess i just like it more because i use it more often and more efficiently than torterra. everyone has their own respective opinion right?

Blog Entries

i feel as if theres an ordnance against meganium here. i guess i just like it more because i use it more often and more efficiently than torterra. everyone has their own respective opinion right?
    You haven't read anything in this thread before your first post, have you? Or anything I've posted before either.

As I already said before, I'm a huge advocate of Meganium's. She's my second favorite Grass Starter, one of my top 10 favorite all time Pokemon and one of my favorite Grass types in general. Hell, I voted for her in the poll!

I think she's damn useful and people don't give her near enough credit. I even have a theory that this has less to do with her battle prowess and more to do with her less than badass (read: manly) appearance for most people.

Go back and read the first post, or look for my posts in any of the threads discussing Meganium (even arbitrarily). I've given a thousand and one reasons for why Meganium is an awesome Poke.

That still doesn't mean she's intrinsically better than Torterra or that he's useless or that you should bash him in order to feel justified in praising Meganium.

Both are excellent Pokemon in different aspects. You like Meganium more, that's fine. Others don't. That's fine too. There's no reason to get upset over it, or to start claiming that there's an anti-Meganium conspiracy out there.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

i wasnt claiming a conspiracy i was just marveling at how outnumbered i am. that actually kinda makes me happy. the reason for that is: the less chosen a pokemon is, the more i love it! so nvm. dont stop liking torterra. that doesnt phase me because im fine being the one who uses pokemon no one else does. so consider this case closed.

Fuck You, Stealth Rock sqwat500's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    I think she's damn useful and people don't give her near enough credit. I even have a theory that this has less to do with her battle prowess and more to do with her less than badass (read: manly) appearance for most people.
    because blissey, one of the most common OU pokemon is the most badass manly thing ive ever laid eyes on
    ^Thanks Blazeaking Ex!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

hey envoy im not trying to be mean or anything but im not checking the link you sent me. Im tired of thinking about meganium's competition with others. all that matters to me is that i like meganium. hope you can understand that

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sqwat500 View Post
    because blissey, one of the most common OU pokemon is the most badass manly thing ive ever laid eyes on
    You'll find that I'm not talking strictly in competitive terms. Competitive battlers seem to have a tendency to look at a Pokemon's battle performance rather than their appearance before judging them, which is something that I really admire.

The rest of the fandom however, is not so, shall we say... enlightened? Ther rest of the fandom, ie: most of the fandom, take a Pokemon at face value. This thread being in part a popularity contest, and BMGF not being particularly competitive as a forum, means that a lot of Pokemon get judged by how they look, not how good they are in battle.

That's what I'm referring to. Keep in mind that it's not all about competitive battling (in fact, the vast minority is competitive potential really, since the vast minority of the fandom actually cares about that.)

hey envoy im not trying to be mean or anything but im not checking the link you sent me. Im tired of thinking about meganium's competition with others. all that matters to me is that i like meganium. hope you can understand that
    Your choice, but the link is a thread almost specifically calling out for Meganium fans. I thought you might enjoy reading comments of like minded individuals to help you feel less alone in your love for an underrated Pokemon. Also, next time, do you think you could please send me a VM or a PM for this kind of stuff? It's not really topic relevant.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

sure but we still havent settled the argument... i like the fact that torterra has acces to curse. because its already pretty slow it doesnt need to worry about losin the speed. and with the attack gain it can kill with wood hammer. hmmm

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

*laughs* Guys, no need to take this so seriously.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tepig Boss View Post
    Pokemon aren't OU because people are made to believe that particular Pokemon is the best. Pokemon are OU after large amounts of time invested into trial and error. Competitive communities test movesets, hold items, teams, how well certain pokemon work together to carry out their niche (whatever it happens to be). There's more to it than that, but those are just examples of what goes into a Pokemon being OU or, "standard". I don't play competitive battling but I am a bit of a "enthusiast". I find it interesting and I respect competitive battlers who put the time and effort into becoming the best players they can be.

Do you think Meganium can hang in the same league as Tyranitar, Lucario, Infernape, Starmie, Gengar, Azelf, Machamp and Scizor? The answer is, "of course not". Tyranitar will set up and rip you a new one, EVERY SINGLE TIME.Want to use your team of Grumpig, Walrein and Meganium? Try the NU tier. You'll do well there.

I'm very sorry to inform you of this but I cant count how many times my so called mediocre team has beaten not only competetive teams, but also many uber abusers. Infact many times my Grumpig and Medicham can sweep an entire uber legends team. Honestly, any pokemon can beat another. Just keep that fresh in mind before you think about that stupid tier stuff.

WORK MAKES YOU FREE Shokktrooper's Avatar

I'm pretty sure Meganium would win in a battle, it's STAB Grass attacks like Grass Knot do neutral damage to Torterra, while Torterra is slow and has no real strong points against Meganium.

I like Torterra better, though. Meganium is kind of useless in battle for me, because I like to use offense Pokemon. Also, Torterra has a slightly cooler design, it is a Turtle with a forest on its back.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast