61 68.54%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Meganium vs Serperior

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Meganium vs Serperior

Meganium vs Jaroda

VS

Here's a matchup that's a bit more controversial. People often call Torterra a rip off of Venusaur (much like the monkey is a rip off of Blaziken or some shit). In reality, Serperior's closer to being a rip off of Meganium than Torterra is of Venusaur. Sure, they may not look similar, but they're both bulky pure Grass types with horrible movepools after all. That's something, ne?

Serperior's faster and Meganium is... well, a lot better at everything else, actually. Both their movepools are pure crap but Meganium's is designed to support her team (Reflect, Light Screen, Safequard, Aromatherapy) whereas Serperior is built for walling things (Leech Seed, Coil, Calm Mind). Both have access to the powerful Leaf Storm and both have useful Dream World abilites. Meganium's makes her completely immune to status under the sun, Jaroda's gives him the equivalent of a Nasty Plot boost every time it uses Leaf Storm. Pity it's offensive stats and attacking movepool suck so much.

So:

Who do you prefer?

Who's more useful?

Who'd win in a fight?

This time around, I'm answering the three questions myself:

1) I prefer Meganium. Have liked Meganium since Gen II came out. Plus, since I know most of y'all are gonna vote Jaroda, she might as well have at least one vote from me.

2) More useful is... Meganium again. A Pokemon should never attempt to wall and sweep at the same time (not enough EV's to go around for four stats) so Serperior's Coil/Calm Mind advantage is actually quite arbitrary. Meganium can support her team with Screens and Aromatherapy and she can wall and Subseed arguably better than Seperior can. See, she gets Synthesis, a healing move that doesn't put her to sleep. Serperior's best hope for doing something similar is Rest, which effectively shuts him down for several turns. He can't even wall effectively. She also gets Swords Dance and not terrible offensive stats. Plus, Ancientpower has the added bonus of taking down all her weaknessess (bar Poison, who falls to an Earthquake anyway)

3) Who'd win? It would be a verrrrrry long, drawn out battle eventually resulting in a tie, really. Best they can do to each other is attack one another with STAB Grass attacks, which are resisted. So yeah, draw.
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 23rd April 2012 at 10:21 PM. Reason: name change
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Default Re: Meganium vs Jaroda

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    Meganium vs Jaroda

VS

Here's a matchup that's a bit more controversial. People often call Torterra a rip off of Venusaur (much like the monkey is a rip off of Blaziken or some shit). In reality, Jaroda's closer to being a rip off of Meganium than Torterra is of Venusaur. Sure, they may not look similar, but they're both bulky pure Grass types with horrible movepools after all. That's something, ne?

Jaroda's faster and Meganium is... well, a lot better at everything else, actually. Both their movepools are pure crap but Meganium's is designed to support her team (Reflect, Light Screen, Safequard, Aromatherapy) whereas Jaroda is built for walling things (Leech Seed, Coil, Calm Mind). Both have access to the powerful Leaf Storm and both have useful Dream World abilites. Meganium's makes her completely immune to status under the sun, Jaroda's gives him the equivalent of a Nasty Plot boost every time it uses Leaf Storm. Pity it's offensive stats and attacking movepool suck so much.

So:

Who do you prefer?

Who's more useful?

Who'd win in a fight?

This time around, I'm answering the three questions myself:

1) I prefer Meganium. Have liked Meganium since Gen II came out. Plus, since I know most of y'all are gonna vote Jaroda, she might as well have at least one vote from me.

2) More useful is... Meganium again. A Pokemon should never attempt to wall and sweep at the same time (not enough EV's to go around for four stats) so Jaroda's Coil/Calm Mind advantage is actually quite arbitrary. Meganium can support her team with Screens and Aromatherapy and she can wall and Subseed arbuably better than Jaroda can. See, she gets Synthesis, a healing move that doesn't put her to sleep. Jaroda's best hope for doing something similar is rest, which effectively shuts him down for several turns. He can't even wall effectively. She alsos gets Swords Dance and not terrible offensive stats. Plus, Ancientpower has the added bonus of taking down all her weaknessess (bar Poison, who falls to an Earthquake anyway)

3) Who'd win? It would be a verrrrrry long, drawn out battle eventually resulting in a draw, really. Best they can do to each other is attack one another with STAB Grass attacks, which are resisted. So yeah, draw.
    I'll go with Jaraoda. Better design by far. And personally at least to me more useful. Just Focas on Speed/ATK/DEF EV's for a Physical Sweeper and Speed/SATK/SDEF for a special Sweeper/Wall. Bu tthats my opijion Meganium is pretty useless in all accounts (In my opiniom)

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Wow...it looks like you have a vendetta against Jaroda, seeing as you decided to compete him against all the other starters, and (from what I understand), voting for the others. I don't think Jaroda's mix of good Defence and Speed is bad. However, I would still side Jaroda, even though all the polls side against him.

Blog Entries

If it looks like I have a vendetta agaisnt Jaroda, then I apologize. I have absolutely nothing against him. I just happen to like the other Grass Starters better, that's all. Jaroda still looks pimpin' and he is still my favorite Isshu Starter. I like Jaroda better than most other Starters too (the monkey, the pig, Swampert, Feraligatr, Empoleon, Daikenki, Charizard, Typhlosion). I just prefer the other GRASS Starters.
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 5th October 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Jaroda looks cool. Points for that.

Never liked Meganium a whole lot. I don't hate it but I've never cared too much for it.

So, Jaroda.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

You know, I think that the Tsutaja-Janobii-Jaroda line is actually the best thing that happens to Grass starters, because compared to the others, they have a positive reception, even before the games were released. Venusaur is (I think) perceived as "ugly" (I don't feel that way, honest!) and many would choose Charizard's line. Meganium is, well, "girly" to the majority (again, I am neutral to Meganium), so gets some unnecessary bias. Sceptile and Blaziken are equal in terms of the cool factor, and the anime helps Sceptile too, so he gets a free pass. Torterra...well I am not sure about him, to be honest, but I think he's almost equal ground with the others, however the other two has an edge, because monkeys and penguins are more awesome animals.

The sinisterly design of the snake is what the designers were going for, and it worked, since many people at that time wants to pick him as their starter, and even his European aristocratic final evolution makes him look awesome too. However, it seems that it takes a wise player to use him, since he is on the support side movepool-wise, has good defences, but he lacked a decent offensive movepool (like many Grass types out there). Perversity is awesome, though, and you can't ignore that.

I won't bite... much. SharKing's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I think in a competitive battle, Antagonist Jaroda would hit Meganium with three Leaf Storms to reach +6 Sp. Attack, then, without Light Screen in place, Meganium's Synthesis wouldn't be able to keep up with HP Fire's power. In that respect, Jaroda wins.

it's because of that one respect that the snake edges out here, at least for me.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SharKing319 View Post
    I think in a competitive battle, Antagonist Jaroda would hit Meganium with three Leaf Storms to reach +6 Sp. Attack, then, without Light Screen in place, Meganium's Synthesis wouldn't be able to keep up with HP Fire's power. In that respect, Jaroda wins.

it's because of that one respect that the snake edges out here, at least for me.
    Now for the other side of the coin. Meganium, with it's superior bulk, Sp. Attack stat, access to Synthesis and Light Screen can HP Fire Jaroda to death while the snake is still using crappy Leaf Storms to boost it's power.

Contrary to popular belief Jaroda's actually not that bulky (it's bulky, don't get me wrong, but it's not that impressive). 75 Base HP isn't that great and Jaroda has no reliable recovery, thus cutting his staying power down considerably. And then there's the understated advantage Meganium has in the form of Grasswhistle. Laugh at it's accuracy all you want, Meganium still has a one in two chance of putting Jaroda to sleep and just taking her time killing him. Jaroda doesn't boast the same advantage because Meganium is built to laugh at status (Aromatherapy/Safeguard/Leaf Guard). Glare is nigh useless against her.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

I like Meganium more. Also it outclasses Jaroda.

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

I've always liked Meganium more.

Blog Entries

Jaroda. It's a friggin snake! Thats not on a plane!

Blog Entries

I hate Magenium. It sucked back when it came out and I still hate it's ply style to this day.

That being said I hate it when GF makes cool looking Pokemon that suck balls. Maganium wins this one.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

Who do you prefer?
    His Royal Highness, Lord Smugleaf.
    Who's more useful?
    The green one.
    Who'd win in a fight?
    Again, the green one.

Meganium is my least favorite starter, so Jaroda gets my vote.

Resident Nympho Princess of Lumas's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Jaroda. Simply like him more
    Ryou Bakura, Yami Bakura, and I live together in Lief's bedroom. Back off

Who do you prefer? Jaroda. Meganium is ugly, weak, feminine and useless

Who's more useful? Jaroda. Would make a good wall

Who'd win in a fight? Jaroda. Same reason as before

Who looks better? Meganium...just kidding, Jaroda again

WINNER: JARODA!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast