• Meganium

58 31.52%
  • Sceptile

126 68.48%
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Meganium vs Sceptile

追放されたバカ

Default Re: Meganium vs Sceptile

Sceptile, I like attacking Pokemon more but that's not my point. Sceptile has a better movepool and attack stats which is needed. Yes, Meganium has better defences but it's attack stats are poor and attack is needed in Pokemon battles. Also Sceptile is way better than Meganium in speed. Like Venusaur, Meganium can't learn Leaf Storm which would be useful for it. The one which is more useful is Sceptile again because it can learn rock type moves such as Rock Slide which nearly all it's weaknesses are weak to. Sceptile can also learn Earthquake which can beat poison types. Meganium can learn that to but can't learn any rock types and again It's attacks won't do so good if it has bad attack stats even with an attacking nature, it's attack stats will still be quite low. In a battle the winner would probably be Sceptile since it can learn flying type moves. In my opinion Sceptile has a better design too.
    Last edited by WhiteFlare; 26th August 2012 at 04:13 PM.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WhiteFlare View Post
    Sceptile, I like attacking Pokemon more but that's not my point. Sceptile has a better movepool and attack which is needed. Yes, Meganium has better defences but it's attack stats are poor and attack is needed in Pokemon battles. Also Sceptile is way better than Meganium in speed. Like Venusaur, Meganium can't learn Leaf Storm which is needed for them. The one which is more useful is Sceptile again because it can learn rock type moves such as Rock Slide which nearly all it's weaknesses are weak to. Sceptile can also learn Earthquake which can beat poison types. Meganium can learn that to but can't learn any rock types and again It's attacks won't do so good if it has bad attack stats even with a useful attacking nature, it's attack stats will still be quite low. In a battle the winner would probably be Sceptile since it can learn flying type moves. In my opinion Sceptile has a better design too.
    First, Meganium's attacking stats aren't bad, they're average. For reference, Sceptile's physical attack stat is only three points higher than Meganium's attack stat and only two points higher than her Special Attack stat.

Second, not every Grass type needs Leaf Storm. Leaf Storm is only useful on Grass types using a mix set or a choice set (both of which Sceptile can pull off with aplomb but which Meganium has no use for.)

Third, Meganium learns Ancientpower by breeding. It's not the best Rock type move, but the fact that she learns it does disprove your statement.

I'm not trying to change your opinion or anything of the sort, I'm just pointing out some facts you may have missed.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Meganium learns Leaf Storm anyway - it's an egg move.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

追放されたバカ

1. Even though you consider them as 'average' you can't just expect Pokemon's stats to be fully maxed so if you've managed to fully level up a Meganium with a high attack or sp.attack nature it'll probably end up with it's attack or sp.attack between 200 or 230 unless you cheat, and if you've seen Sceptile's sp.attack it's pretty much a lot better than Meganium's.

2. Im just saying that Meganium will be useful with Leaf Storm since it's movepool isn't that impressive and I didn't say that every grass type needs Leaf Storm. For example Torterra, if I had one I would pretty much not teach Leaf Storm to it because to me I think it's sp.attack is quite low and again you can't just max Torterra's sp.attack and call it average or good.

3. Yes, I know Meganium can learn Ancient Power but it can't learn it by itself but needs to breed.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeb View Post
    Meganium learns Leaf Storm anyway - it's an egg move.
    Yes it does but not by itself.
    Last edited by WhiteFlare; 26th August 2012 at 04:33 PM. Reason: merge

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Please be careful of double posting - if you're replying to more than one person you can use the multi-quote feature or copy and paste, but try to avoid posting each reply as a separate post. I've merged them this time.

I might aswell make this post somewhat relevant while I'm here:

I voted for Sceptile. I like both lines a lot, but I generally prefer the designs of Sceptile and co than Meganium. Meganium has served me very well in a HG Nuzlocke I did though, and I like the good bulk it can bring. Its movepool feels a letdown at times though, whereas Sceptile's is pretty much perfect for its needs.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Sceptiles wins. Sorry Meganium, but he has a much better movepool than you. Come back if GF were to give you a proper physical Grass move like Power Whip for your Sword Dance set.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Sceptiles wins. Sorry Meganium, but he has a much better movepool than you. Come back if GF were to give you a proper physical Grass move like Power Whip for your Sword Dance set.
    Power Whip Meganium would be outclassed by Venusaur (even without Chlorophyll) and possibly Tangrowth and Ferrothorn.

Meganium is not meant to be played as a sweeper. In fact, the only sweeping value Meganium has is surprise value. What Game Freak needs to do is give her some good support moves so she can properly fill the niche she's meant to fill. Anything from Spikes, to Wish, to [insert boosting move] + Baton Pass. Hell, U-Turn or a better ability (imagine a Meganium with Drought or Magic Bounce. That would be awesome. And yes, I know they wouldn't make sense on her, but that's why I asked you to use your imagination) would do wonders for her.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    Power Whip Meganium would be outclassed by Venusaur (even without Chlorophyll) and possibly Tangrowth and Ferrothorn.
    Aren't Venusaur and Meganium's physical attack stats around 80? So it can't be an outclass.

Meganium is not meant to be played as a sweeper. In fact, the only sweeping value Meganium has is surprise value. What Game Freak needs to do is give her some good support moves so she can properly fill the niche she's meant to fill. Anything from Spikes, to Wish, to [insert boosting move] + Baton Pass. Hell, U-Turn or a better ability (imagine a Meganium with Drought or Magic Bounce. That would be awesome. And yes, I know they wouldn't make sense on her, but that's why I asked you to use your imagination) would do wonders for her.
    Problem is that supporters are forced to give up using moves to cover their weaknesses if the rest of your team faint. Plus Meganium is a saurapod, so it makes sense that it can't learn U-Turn and never will.

Best squid ever Bouffalant Herdier's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Bouffalant Herdier On Twitter
    Visit Bouffalant Herdier's Youtube Channel

Sceptile, for sure.

Meganium's stats are just too rounded and don't really shine anywhere. It's average offensive stats and lack of attack options make it a chore to use, and its defensive stats aren't particularly amazing either; combined with the many weaknesses of Grass types, it doesn't even fit its main role very well.

Sceptile is far more fun to use, both offensively and defensively. Its lightning speed is excellent for setting up the advantage, and its movepool is more than enough to make it a threat to many more Pokemon.

Who is this git?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetsis-Dennis View Post
    Aren't Venusaur and Meganium's physical attack stats around 80? So it can't be an outclass.
    Venusaur has better typing and access to Sleep Powder.

Problem is that supporters are forced to give up using moves to cover their weaknesses if the rest of your team faint. Plus Meganium is a saurapod, so it makes sense that it can't learn U-Turn and never will.
    Supporters don't give a damn about coverage moves. Do you think Skarmory's effectiveness is hindered by the fact that it doesn't use any Ground/Water/Rock type attacks to handle the Fire types its weak to? Do you think Blissey is underutilized because she doesn't learn any Psychic or Flying type moves to deal with her Fighting weakness? Is Ferrothorn not one of the premier supporters and overall Pokemon in the game despite not having a reliable way to deal with Fire types? The same applies to Forretress and scouting Scizors.

Coverage only matters when used on an offensive Pokemon, and even then, it's less about covering your weaknesses and more about covering as many types as possible, which is why neutral coverage is so important.

And yes, I know Meganium doesn't have any reason to learn U-Turn. But then, neither do Lumineon, or Archeops (another dinosaur,) or Zoroark, or Farfetch'd, or Primape, or Purugly, or Darmanitan, or Elektross, or...you get the point.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Meganium tries to do a little bit of both. It tries to be a bulky tank but it also tries to be an attacker. In doing so, it fails at both. Only legendaries have the stats to do both attacking and defending.

@Ranger Jack Walker; That is far from true. There are loads of non-legendary Pokemon who can both attack and defend efficiently, To name a few: Gyarados, Dragonite, Garchomp, Metagross, Bronzong, Reunculus and Salamence.

Meganium is complete trash in competitive play but I still love it as a Pokemon. Sceptile is surprisingly effective even in OU where it can fill a niche on Rain teams. Still going for Meganium.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Bouffalant Herdier View Post
    Sceptile, for sure.

Meganium's stats are just too rounded and don't really shine anywhere. It's average offensive stats and lack of attack options make it a chore to use, and its defensive stats aren't particularly amazing either; combined with the many weaknesses of Grass types, it doesn't even fit its main role very well.

Sceptile is far more fun to use, both offensively and defensively. Its lightning speed is excellent for setting up the advantage, and its movepool is more than enough to make it a threat to many more Pokemon.
    Yep I have to totally agree with Bouffalant Herdier. Sorry Meganium but Sceptile shines in both sp.attack and speed. Meganium's attack stats and good defences are not classified as amazing. Many Pokemon can actually do better than Meganium in both attack stats and defences. Not to mention Legendaries as said by Ranger Jack Walker. Sceptile also has a more useful movepool and learn able TM set.
    Last edited by WhiteFlare; 28th August 2012 at 09:19 AM.

I love both, but I will choose Meganium. My problem with Sceptile is the lack of special moves and seems like of it doesn't get OHKO, it's screwed.

Blog Entries

Meganium by a mile.
    They could have made a better evolution for Bayleaf, yes, but Meganium still have its charm.

Jukain on other hand is just ugly and a disappointment when you look to its awesome pre-evolutions, Juptile and Kimori.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast