58 31.52%
  • Sceptile

126 68.48%
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meganium vs Sceptile

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Meganium vs Sceptile

I think Sceptile is a more reliable Pokemon than Meganium, whom I never actually shown interest to. I think Sceptile is designed to be competitively viable when competitive battling begins to become what it is today, because he is given great speed and some great moves to use (Leaf Blade and Dragon Pulse comes to mind).

Blog Entries

Sceptile is a beast. Faster than most pokemon and just enough attack power on both sides to rip things to pieces. Swords dance also helps on the physical side.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

In my opinion, Sceptile is faster and cooler, but what's wrong with Meganium? It's appearance has nothing to do with it's power. I've had good Meganiums before. I think a battle between the two would be pretty interesting.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

I was wondering when this would eventually come up since we had a Venusaur-Torterra thread. Can we expect the same for the fire and water type starters?

My favourite is Sceptile. Unlike the other grass type starters and most other grass types, it is not slow at all. Most have great offence but low or average speed but Sceptile has both. Goes to the top of my Grass type Pokemon list just for that. And then it looks so cool too.

Blog Entries

So, which one of these Pokemon do you prefer?

Meganium, by far. Sceptile is one of two Grass Starters I don't prefer above their two other choices, and is my least favorite of them all as well. On the other hand, Meganium is my second favorite Grass Starter as of now. I love her simple but adorable design, as well as her defensive nature. She's only below Torterra for being pure Grass while Torterra has one Type Combination I always wanted to see. She might or might not stand above Tsutaja's final Stage, but we'll see about that.

Which one would win in a battle?

Could go either way. Largely, Meganium can take almost anything Sceptile throws at her, and he's frail enough to take considerable damage from Meganium's average attacks. With Reflect up, Synthesis, and an appropriate Move, Meganium would have the upper hand. However, a preferred set in her would be less effective overall. Sceptile is versatile and hits hard, I won't deny. Meganium would need a specific Hidden Power or Moves she can't use too well to fight Sceptile and have a chance at winning.

Which one is the most useful overall?

I'd have to say Sceptile, unfortunately. Meganium is a great support Pokémon, but she's not the best even in this role, though she's better than a lot of them. Sceptile is the only non-bulky Grass Starter, with lots of Moves and Type coverage, and the Stats to back them up. His only true shortcoming is his largely better Physical Movepool which can't take much advantage of his best attacking Stat, but he can get around that with Swords Dance. A Special Sceptile isn't completely useless, either. That Speed comes in handy, as well.

I'll still vote Meganium out of preference. I just don't like Sceptile one bit.
    lol I got bored.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    I was wondering when this would eventually come up since we had a Venusaur-Torterra thread. Can we expect the same for the fire and water type starters?

My favourite is Sceptile. Unlike the other grass type starters and most other grass types, it is not slow at all. Most have great offence but low or average speed but Sceptile has both. Goes to the top of my Grass type Pokemon list just for that. And then it looks so cool too.
    Possibly eventually. For now, let's concentrate on the Grass Starters. I'll make a thread about the Fire and Water ones once this and the Venu/Terra topic is exhausted.

Or, y'know, someone else can do it. Whichever happens first.

I'm thinking Charizard vs Typhlosion (same BST and distribution), Blaziken vs Infernape (same type), Blastoise vs Swampert (defensive Pokemon) and Feraligatr vs Empoleon (physically offensive vs specially offensive)
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 18th July 2010 at 02:27 PM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

I hate both.

Devil Lobster Man Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    I'm thinking Charizard vs Typhlosion (same BST and distribution), Blaziken vs Infernape (same type), Blastoise vs Swampert (defensive Pokemon) and Feraligatr vs Empoleon (physically offensive vs specially offensive)
    I was thinking something similar too. Though Swampert is a physical attacker too. I don't take part in competitive so I'm not sure what roles it can play. I know its used as a lead but thats it. The results for the Fire Types might be a little predictable though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ranger Jack Walker View Post
    I was thinking something similar too. Though Swampert is a physical attacker too. I don't take part in competitive so I'm not sure what roles it can play. I know its used as a lead but thats it. The results for the Fire Types might be a little predictable though.
    Swampert's primary competitive roles are as a lead and physical tank, meaning it takes mostly a defensive approach. Therefore, I compare it to Blastoise, another defensive Pokemon.

But this is off topic

Caterpie, Caterpie. Yeah. Toastastic's Avatar

I never had a Sceptile.. soo Meganium. ^_^
    HG: 4383 6401 1352

RNG? Try ZomgTimer. It beeps more, so it shouldn't
    take 150 tries to hit your seed. Freakin awesome.

Blog Entries
    Follow Gwingle On Twitter
    Follow Gwingle on Tumblr Visit Gwingle's Youtube Channel

I vote Meganium, but maybe that's because my friend has one and my Grovyle hasn't evolved.

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I much prefer sceptile

offence > defense IMO
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

I voted Meganium because she's my one of my favourite starters throughout the generations.
    Her healing abilities have saved me multiple times as well.

Hmm,
    although Meganium is defence orientated, she can still dish out attacks, with a screen up. Although Sceptile can hit hard as well, so I'm leaning towards Sceptile here.

Sceptile IS more useful, but it comes down to opinion.
    I'd take Meganium over Sceptile any day. I like Sceptile, but I rather have Meganium as company.

Also, a lot of people think Meganium is slow. She isn't that slow when she's adamant nature, max Speed, and with a salac berry boost. IIRC, she can even outrun a max Speed Swellow.

Thanks.
    [ Rest in Peace, Takeshi Shudo ]

Awesome banner made by BlazaKing EX, thanks:)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Chebon View Post
    I voted Meganium because she's my one of my favourite starters throughout the generations.
    Her healing abilities have saved me multiple times as well.

Hmm,
    although Meganium is defence orientated, she can still dish out attacks, with a screen up. Although Sceptile can hit hard as well, so I'm leaning towards Sceptile here.

Sceptile IS more useful, but it comes down to opinion.
    I'd take Meganium over Sceptile any day. I like Sceptile, but I rather have Meganium as company.

Also, a lot of people think Meganium is slow. She isn't that slow when she's adamant nature, max Speed, and with a salac berry boost. IIRC, she can even outrun a max Speed Swellow.

Thanks.
    Actually, the only way Meganium can outspeed Swellow is if she has max Speed (with +Speed Nature) and he had min Speed (with -Speed Nature)

Follow Marik On Twitter Add Marik on Facebook
    Visit Marik's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    Actually, the only way Meganium can outspeed Swellow is if she has max Speed (with +Speed Nature) and he had min Speed (with -Speed Nature)
    If Meganium is way higher in level.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast