Mega Venusaur vs Mega Sceptile

View Poll Results: Which one is your favorite?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mega Venusaur

7 46.67%
  • Mega Sceptile

8 53.33%

Thread: Mega Venusaur vs Mega Sceptile

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Mega Venusaur vs Mega Sceptile

V.S.

I don't know why this isn't a thing yet, but it should be, so I made it.

These are the two (as of this writing) Grass Starter Mega Evolutions.

Mega Venusaur is a defensive behemoth (single best defensive Mega in the game as of right now) with only two fairly uncommon weaknesses and an impressive array of resistances (Water, Electric, Fighting, Grass, and now Fairy.) It's ability to recover HP in a myriad of ways (Synthesis, Leech Seed, Giga Drain) puts it light-years ahead of every other defensive Mega in the game, and on par with the toughest defensive threats this side of Ubers. It can shut down Fairies with a well placed Sludge Bomb, doesn't fear Ice Beams from Water Types, and rolls its eyes at your Infernape's pathetic attempts to Flare Blitz it.

Not much is known about Mega Sceptile just yet (will update this post as information arrives) but we do know it gains a Dragon typing. This means that it can now fire off STAB Dragon Claws, Dragon Pulse, and Outrage, and that it gets impressive neutral coverage, only walled by Steel types, Togekiss, and Whimsicott (but hey, that's what coverage moves are for.) It's ability, Lightningrod, is comparatively less useful than Venusaur's Thick Fat because Sceptile already 4x resists Electric moves due to its typing, but if you look a little deeper, you can see some hidden uses for it. For instance, it is now immune to Thunder Wave (and all Electric forms of paralysis.) In Doubles, it can work well with an Electric Type partner and get a boost from what would otherwise be splash damage. It works on Rain Teams as a check to Grass and Electric types that threaten your Water types, etc. Its typing also provides it with a handy 4x resist to both Grass and Water, and it loses its weakness to Fire. It's not all good, however. The trade-off is two added weaknesses in Dragon and Fairy, and a 4x weakness to Ice.

So, which of these forest titans is your favorite? Which one would win in a battle? Which one is better designed (both aesthetically and in terms of gameplay?)

For now, my money's on Venusaur, as STAB Sludge Bomb will still hurt Sceptile while the latter can only hit back with neutral Dragon moves or Hidden Power. Of course, I don't know Sceptile's stats yet, so my opinion might change.
    Last edited by Envoy; 18th June 2014 at 05:55 AM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Mega Venusaur vs Mega Sceptile

I've always preferred Sceptile over Venusaur and this holds true with their megas. Venusaur is okay with that palm tree on its back, but Sceptile is a badass with a Chistmas tree for a tail that can be fired like missile. However, in an actual battle, mega Venusaur would have an advantage due to the whole poison-type.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to go with my boy Venusaur. Huge defenses, increased special attack to heal more with giga drain and few weaknesses make it near invincible if you play him right.

Liking Mega Sceptile's design but they should have given something better than Lightning Rod on something that already x4 resists electric. It's also a little too late, if something like this existed in gen 5 then it would be extremely useful with all the rain wars.

Head to head at the moment no question that Venusaur wins with STAB Sludge Bomb and its massive defenses, Sceptile learns few moves that hit for SE with the highest base power being a 60 BP Aerial Ace (since mega stone means Acrobatics hits for 55) and a 60 BP hidden power both lacking STAB. It would hit for more damage with a STAB Dragon Pulse.
    Last edited by Steel_Justice; 18th June 2014 at 09:28 PM.
    3DS Name: Kyle
    Pokemon X Friend Code: 4828-5602-4809
    Friend Safari Pokemon: Flying type: Pidgey, Woobat, Tropius

Post Thanks / Like

I've always preferred Sceptile over Venusaur, and Sceptile becoming a Dragon type, my favorite type, doesn't help Venusaur at all. But I must say, that Mega Venusaur would prove helpful against Mega Sceptile and a bunch of other Pokemon.

Watch out for tha big gun Rocket Raccoon's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Venusaur. As the OP said, Sludgee Bomb would probably do heavy damage to Sceptile while Sceptile dont have much do to heavy damage on Venusaur with. Design-wise Venusaur is cooler and it also has a much more useful ability.
    "Aint no think like me except me!" : Rocket Raccoon
    Qoute from trailer and IMDB

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mega Sceptile improves Sceptile's design, while Mega Venusaur does the exact opposite to Venusaur. Guess which one I voted for?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I much prefer mega Sceptile's design but that 4x weakness to ice the dragon adds yet more weaknesses!
    I use mega Venusaur quite a bit actually, I'm not a fan of its design but its sheer bulk and fairy killing awesomeness is just too much for me to handle!
    I'm just not a big fan of Pokemon with 4x weaknesses (But Salamence is my favourite pseudo legendary)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Felly On Twitter
    Follow Felly on Tumblr

Mega Sceptile for me. Grass/Dragon dual type sounds cooler than a dual type Grass/Poison to me. .-.

URPG Grader, Ranger, Official, & Referee
    URPG Stats || Grader Log || Petalburg Woods