Infernape vs Typhlosion - Page 2

View Poll Results: Which Pokemon would win?

Voters
91. You may not vote on this poll
  • Infernape

36 39.56%
  • Typhlosion

55 60.44%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Infernape vs Typhlosion

Blog Entries

Default Re: Infernape vs Typhlosion

Quote Originally Posted by Life Alert View Post
    That's obligatory because they're both starters. They're still distributed different. And by your logic, if a Pokemon shares similar stats with another, it's copying it.

Great logic.

Oh, heaven forbid a Pokemon share a dual typing. Pelliper is totally a rip-off a Gyarados. And Bronzong? How dare they rip-off Metagross!

And how is that the fault of Infernape? If Roserade had turned out to be the final form of the Johto starter, would that have had made it a rip-off of Venusaur solely because of typing and similar stat distribution?

I reiterate: it's perfectly fine to dislike Infernape, and to call it overused. But just because it shares a similar typing and it suffered through the misfortune of being chosen to be the final evolution in a Fire starter's evolutionary line does not make it a copy. They have differently distributed stats, completely different designs, and different movepools. Infernape is not a Blaziken rip-off.
    Infernape's base stats:

hp: 76
    attack: 104
    def: 71
    sp att: 104
    sp def: 71
    speed: 108

Blaziken's base stats:

hp: 80
    attack: 120
    def: 70
    sp att: 110
    sp def: 70
    speed: 80

The only major difference is speed.

As for move pool, they learn 58 of the same moves. Blaziken can learn a total of 79 moves, Infernape can learn 85. They share more than two thirds of their move pools. Coupled with having very similar stats and the same typing, they're almost as similar as two Pokemon can get.

Also, Brongong is heavily defensive while Metagross has high offensive stats. Roserade is somewhat similar to Venusaur, but has lower Attack and Defense while having greater stats on the Special side. If it had been the final form of a starter it probably would have been called a rip off, however it still isn't as close to Venusaur as Infernape is to Blaziken. Gyarados's best stat is attack, which happens to be Pelippers worst stat, the only stat that is anywhere near close is defense, and that's still over 30 points off.

Long story shot, I know my shit, Infernape is VERY similar to Blaziken, Blaziken came out first, Infernape was made in his image. Your arguments about other Pokemon being as similar as they are are invalid.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rakarei View Post
    Infernape's base stats:

hp: 76
    attack: 104
    def: 71
    sp att: 104
    sp def: 71
    speed: 108

Blaziken's base stats:

hp: 80
    attack: 120
    def: 70
    sp att: 110
    sp def: 70
    speed: 80

The only major difference is speed.
    "By your logic, if a Pokemon shares similar stats with another, it's copying it."

Several Pokemon share similar stat distributions. With the sheer amount of Pokemon that there are, such a similarity couldn't labeled as one Pokemon ripping off another.

And the difference between Infernape and Blaziken is that Infernape trades superior attacking capabilities for higher speed - this sole difference alone completely changes how Infernape and Blaziken are used and which one is more appropriate for a specific situation and fulfilling a certain role in a team.

As for move pool, they learn 58 of the same moves. Blaziken can learn a total of 79 moves, Infernape can learn 85. They share more than two thirds of their move pools. Coupled with having very similar stats and the same typing, they're almost as similar as two Pokemon can get.
    But you're forgetting the attacks which matter. Only Blaziken learns Brave Bird and Sky Uppercut. Infernape learns Close Combat, Calm Mind, and Nasty Plot. Beyond that, it doesn't matter whether they both learn Ember or not.

These differences - along with their stat distributions - are the primary reason why the two are so different, especially if you've actually trained and battled with both. Not to mention, they are completely different aesthetically, and the primary reason Infernape is labeled a rip-off is because it was a starter like Blaziken was.

Also, Brongong is heavily defensive while Metagross has high offensive stats. Roserade is somewhat similar to Venusaur, but has lower Attack and Defense while having greater stats on the Special side. If it had been the final form of a starter it probably would have been called a rip off, however it still isn't as close to Venusaur as Infernape is to Blaziken. Gyarados's best stat is attack, which happens to be Pelippers worst stat, the only stat that is anywhere near close is defense, and that's still over 30 points off.
    Those were two random examples, and the first two I knew off the top of my head. There are many more - some of which are very similar, others of which are not - yet none of them are ever labeled rip-offs, especially not to the extent Infernape is.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^ Actually, they're used in pretty much the same way competitively. They're both excellent wallbreakers and sweepers. The big differences are the monkey trades power for speed and he has a slightly better movepool.

This means that the monkey is basically a better Blaziken. If you look at the third gen statistics and the UU sets for Blaziken, you'll realize that Infernape has pretty much replaced him. You have to play very similarly in order to do that.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    ^ Actually, they're used in pretty much the same way competitively. They're both excellent wallbreakers and sweepers. The big differences are the monkey trades power for speed and he has a slightly better movepool.

This means that the monkey is basically a better Blaziken. If you look at the third gen statistics and the UU sets for Blaziken, you'll realize that Infernape has pretty much replaced him. You have to play very similarly in order to do that.
    But Blaziken's superior Attack and Special Attack does allow it to hit harder. With a set that prioritizes on Defense and Attack rather than Speed, Blaziken can accomplish some things that Infernape couldn't. True, it is generally outclassed by Infernape, but not completely. It also gains access to a few great moves which Infernape doesn't.

Regardless... Tons of Pokemon share dual types and it's only natural one will be superior to the others. That doesn't give people the right to label that Pokemon a rip-off (I'm not saying you do, Envoy, but tons of others do).

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Life Alert View Post
    But Blaziken's superior Attack and Special Attack does allow it to hit harder. With a set that prioritizes on Defense and Attack rather than Speed, Blaziken can accomplish some things that Infernape couldn't. True, it is generally outclassed by Infernape, but not completely. It also gains access to a few great moves which Infernape doesn't.

Regardless... Tons of Pokemon share dual types and it's only natural one will be superior to the others. That doesn't give people the right to label that Pokemon a rip-off (I'm not saying you do, Envoy, but tons of others do).
    I know you know this, but I feel I have to say it anyway:

I don't know weather to call Infernape a Blaziken rip-off or not, and frankly I couldn't care less. I dislike the monkey largely for it's aesthetics (it doesn't appeal to me), not it's stats or type or whatever.

But I do agree that two Pokemon sharing similar type and stats aren't necessarily ripoffs. As I said earlier, it's probably the fact that it was the Fire Starter that came right after the popular Blaziken that garners the most hate for the monkey. If it had shown up in Gen VII, chances are it wouldn't have been called a ripoff.

And by the way, Infernape is actually bulkier than Blaziken. It has 1 point more in both defenses.

EDIT: Wow this is off topic. Maybe we should take this to the Blaziken/Infernape thread.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    And by the way, Infernape is actually bulkier than Blaziken. It has 1 point more in both defenses.
    But Blaziken has higher HP. But anyways...

EDIT: Wow this is off topic. Maybe we should take this to the Blaziken/Infernape thread.
    You're right. I got carried away with this. So I could make this post even somewhat on topic... I prefer the monkey, but Typhlosion was great during the third generation.

Personally, i think I would pick Infernape,too, but typhlosion will always be my favorite fire starter

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

I've always preferred Infernape over Typhlosion.

Blog Entries

Typhlosion because I love Johto. But Charizard is always going to be my favorite starter.

Avatar by Banebuu. Licky by Larxion. Banner by Sayi.

Typhlosion to me is the most underrated starter in Pokemon. With a 109 Spatk and the right moveset, he can be deadly. You need to remember that he learns Eruption and no other Fire starter does.

150 bp x 1.5 STAB = 225. 225 x 1.5 with Sunny Day = over 300. He can be VERY useful if used correctly, but too many people dismiss him as bad. I voted Typhlosion, although in a one on one battle, Infernape probably wins just due to having different moves.

Impossible Spell Card Scarlet Sky's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Why is everyone talking about Blaziken, when this is between TYPHLOSION and Infernape? 0_o

Typhlosion big time. It is the final evolve of my favorite Pokemon, Cyndaquil.
    Do not ask me that you have a chance to be a mod, I will not take the job if it is to leave the forum.

my friend Pichu90 made my avatar.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SHADE 45 View Post
    Typhlosion to me is the most underrated starter in Pokemon. With a 109 Spatk and the right moveset, he can be deadly. You need to remember that he learns Eruption and no other Fire starter does.

150 bp x 1.5 STAB = 225. 225 x 1.5 with Sunny Day = over 300. He can be VERY useful if used correctly, but too many people dismiss him as bad. I voted Typhlosion, although in a one on one battle, Infernape probably wins just due to having different moves.
    I present: Meganium

Typhlosion for sure!

Infernape may have STAB fighting moves, but that also means that Infernape has twice as many weaknesses. Typhlosion is one type, fire, and can learn a majority of moves that can potentially devastate Infernape. Extrasensory, aerial ace, earthquake and dig. Typhlosion can take out infernape straight up.

Hi!

Infernape can rape anything :p

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast