Gyarados vs Milotic - Page 9

View Poll Results: Which Water-type do you prefer?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gyarados

123 48.43%
  • Milotic

131 51.57%
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gyarados vs Milotic

Default Re: Gyarados vs Milotic

I don't like either of them... But since Gyarados creeps me out, I guess Milotic.

Blog Entries

Gyarados is ugly, Milotic is beautiful.
    Guess who I prefer?

Diamond Protoss ;D Light of Aiur's Avatar

Well, I wouldn't call Gyrados ugly. Anger prone yes, but it's design looks okay. Though my vote still goes to Milotic, one of the most majestic and captivating designs pokemon has to offer. It's pretty useful in battle too to top it off.

"We March to Victory!"

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tediz General View Post
    Well, I wouldn't call Gyrados ugly. Anger prone yes, but it's design looks okay. Though my vote still goes to Milotic, one of the most majestic and captivating designs pokemon has to offer. It's pretty useful in battle too to top it off.
    I took @Mantis' post to mean that Gyarados is an unattractive Pokemon, not that it's poorly designed. Just like you can have a gorgeous painting of an ugly man, you can have a well designed Pokemon that is meant to be ugly.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Trainer View Post
    I took @Mantis' post to mean that Gyarados is an unattractive Pokemon, not that it's poorly designed. Just like you can have a gorgeous painting of an ugly man, you can have a well designed Pokemon that is meant to be ugly.
    Well, I thought the word ugly meant, well ugly... but now that you mention it, your post makes sense.

"We March to Victory!"

Blog Entries
    Follow BanetteWobbuffet On Twitter

I vote for Milotic because it is very hard to get.
    Dibs on Banette or Wobbuffet.
    I claimed Wobbufet! Man, that doesn't sound very exciting.
    Formerly known as BanetteWobbuffet.
    I don't calculate stat values, and I don't care about natures. I catch my Pokemon the way they are. I just play the game normally. If you agree copy & paste this in your sig.
    Write your questions on a $20 bill and send them in to me.
    We now return you to your abnormal programming.
    I have claimed Imposter.

Blog Entries

Exactly. Its design is badass and menacing, but I'd rather have a good looking Pokémon like Milotic by my side.
    In my opinion, beauty is essential even for Pokémon.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyarlathotep View Post
    Exactly. Its design is badass and menacing, but I'd rather have a good looking Pokémon like Milotic by my side.
    In my opinion, beauty is essential even for Pokémon.
    Hahahaha, yeah! Sorry about the misunderstanding.

"We March to Victory!"

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster95 View Post
    Dragon dance thunder milotic dies.
    This is a terrible idea. Expanding on what Jesus said (lol, I can't believe I actually got to say that), Gyarados has a pretty low Sp. Atk compared to Milotic's Sp. Def. Also, Dragon Dance is as good as useless since (considering you're using Thunder) the only stat to get a boost would be Speed, which is inconsecuential as it stands. (To put it in perspective, their base Speed is tied. This means that if Milotic goes first, HP Electric kills Gyarados. If Gyarados Dragon Dances first, Milotic still uses HP Electric to kill him).

Add to that Thunder's very shaky 70 accuracy, and even if you did manage to pull off a DD Thunder, you still have a high chance of missing. But even if you did hit, you probably wouldn't be able to dent to even half of it's HP considering your bad Sp. Atk and her good Sp. Def. But even if you did manage to dent it, she can just Recover the damage away and keep going as if nothing had happened. Also, she can put you to sleep with Hypnosis and proceed from there.

And, actually, even if he isn't using that horrible Thunder tactic, he'd have to rely on either Stone Edge or Earthquake for damage (considering that Bounce is a joke and his good STAB attacks are resisted by Milotic) both of which Milotic can shrug off with her overall bulk as long as their undoosted. Now, if he did decide to take the time to DD up, she'd take advantage of the setup and kill him with HP Electric. And Status moves don't work either as all they do is increase Milotic's Defense even higher (thanks to Marvel Scale) so you can't T-Wave or Toxic stall it either.

Actually, I've just argued myself into siding with Milotic on this matchup. As long as she carries Hidden Power (Electric), it's a sure fire victory for her. If she doesn't have the desired HP... well, then it becomes alot more difficult to predict a winner.
    tbh, i don't see milotic carrying hp electric. As far as general battling is concerned, you can't deny that gyarados is actually better.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Clowncrete View Post
    tbh, i don't see milotic carrying hp electric. As far as general battling is concerned, you can't deny that gyarados is actually better.
    Haha. Dude, I wrote that way back in 2010. I was still relatively new to the competitive scene back then. My experiences have since...refined me.

I still like Milotic much better than Gyarados, but I won't deny that the latter is the more useful one of the two.

Haha. It's always nice to read your old posts and laugh about how stupid you once were.
    Lord Clowncrete likes this.

Gyarados gets my vote. I usually prefer offencive Pokemon more than defencive Pokemon and the fact that I prefer physical over special. I like both Gyarados and Milotic's design equally. Gyarados looks tough and intimidating while Milotic looks beautiful. But I prefer Gyarados' stats more. Also, not to mention that Gyarados has Dragon Dance which makes it really dangerous. It will have a destructive attack stat and its speed will be fixed. In usefulness, they are both equal to me. In a battle, I think Gyarados would win. With one Dragon Dance it will be faster than Milotic and with a physical move, Milotic can take serious damage. Milotic's sp.defence will be useless in a battle with Gyarados since Gyarados would never use a special move. And a special move from Milotic won't be enough to beat Gyarados. Plus, Milotic should never use a physical move just like how Gyarados should never use a special move. I also noticed that Milotic cannot learn any super effective moves against Gyarados. Yes, Gyarados can't either but it won't need to.

You can't change the world without a little pain - Team Plasma Grunt

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Milotic. I like the prettier looking Pokemon more, although Gyarados is cool, I prefer Milotic for design, plus I also like that it's more rare.
    Reila likes this.

Those who say Milotic always wins because it has Hidden Power Electric fail to realize that there is a mystical item that Gyarados can use:

WACAN BERRY.

Yup, and if it carries Wacan Berry, Gyara can use a 252 HP/252 SpD RestTalk + Dragon Dance set with Earthquake to destroy Milotic. Taunt also exists, and if Milotic is Taunted, it has no way to recover.

Even though Gyarados is the original badass, Milotic simply appeals more to me.

... Also I spend almost a whole day to get one...
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mewtwo0 View Post
    Those who say Milotic always wins because it has Hidden Power Electric fail to realize that there is a mystical item that Gyarados can use:

WACAN BERRY.

Yup, and if it carries Wacan Berry, Gyara can use a 252 HP/252 SpD RestTalk + Dragon Dance set with Earthquake to destroy Milotic. Taunt also exists, and if Milotic is Taunted, it has no way to recover.
    Okay, let's do this thing then. The odds of a Hidden Power [Electric] Milotic fighting a bulky RestTalk Gyarados with a Wacan Berry are very slim, but lets take the scenario and run with it, shall we?

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses Taunt
    Milotic uses Hidden Power [Electric]
    Wacan Berry Weakens HP[E], Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Earthquake
    Milotic survives because duh, and proceeds to KO with a now 4x effective HP[E] because Gyarados never healed from the first hit.

Alternative #1-

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Rest, he recovers all his HP
    Milotic uses the now 4x effective HP [E]. I'm not in the mood to do the damage calcs right now, but Gyara should be dead, however, let's assume for the sake of argument that he survives.

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses Sleep Talk; Gyarados uses Earthquake.
    Milotic survives because duh. Milotic uses HP [E,] now Gyarados dies.

Alternative #2-

TURN 1:

Gyarados uses EQ
    Milotic survives and uses HP [E,] which Waccan Berry weakens. Gyarados survives.

TURN 2:

Gyarados uses Taunt
    Milotic can't recover because of the Taunt
    (In essence, this was a waste of a turn)

TURN 3:

Gyarados uses EQ, Milotic survives because since you're using a Bulky set, you didn't invest nearly enough EVs in your attack stat.
    Milotic uses HP [E,] Gyarados dies because he never healed from the first HP [E].

OR-

TURN 3:

see Alternative #1 above.

Whichever way you spin it, Gyarados loses that particular battle.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast