Gyarados vs Milotic

View Poll Results: Which Water-type do you prefer?

Voters
254. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gyarados

123 48.43%
  • Milotic

131 51.57%
Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Gyarados vs Milotic

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Gyarados vs Milotic

So, this week's rivalry is between two Water-types. Gyarados was introduced in Generation I, while Milotic debuted in Generation III specifically as a counterpart to it.

Both Pokemon evolve from laughably weak fish. Both are Water-types, while one is found in almost every water route available (via it's pre-evolved form, fishing, or both) the other is regarded as one of the rarest Pokemon in-game. Both are counterparts to their pre-evolution in certain key aspects (Magikarp is weak, Gyarados is powerful; Feebas is ugly, Milotic is beautiful)

So, on one corner, we have the Kanto native. He's been in every regional dex so far and evolves from the pathetically weak Magikarp, the more offensive one, Gyarados

On the other corner, we have the Hoenn Pokemon. She's impossibly hard to find in her pre-evolved form, the hideous looking Feebas, it's the more defensive of the two, Milotic

So, which of these powerful Water types do you prefer?

Which one is more useful?

Which one would win in a battle between the two?
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Default Re: Gyarados vs Milotic

~Gyarados, never had any luck with Milotic.
    ~Both are very useful, depends what kind of team you're making
    ~Probably Milotic if it carried HP Electric.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Lt.
    Blog Entries

Witch do i prefer?
    Garados, Garys the orgional, mil's the jelous copy-cat
    Witch is more usefull
    hmm, tie, they both have great uses
    Who would win?
    hmm,tough call, gary has that X4 against electric, but is strong against grass,
    and has that massive attack
    but milotic.......hmm, depends on if milotic had a good electric attack, if not, garados

Blog Entries

i like both of them , however if i had to choose one it would be gyrarados, because of the raw attack strength it has especially after a dragon dance.

Like king of nedos stated it does depend on what kind of team your going for.

its kinda difficult because milotic had mad defencive powers espcially with a leftovers and aqua ring, and gyrarados's ferocious attack. but i think ultamately gyrarados would win.

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

Hm. I think for the first question on which I prefer, it would obviously be Milotic, seeing as I did parade around for a few months with "Milotic2003" as my name. XD The second, as to which is more useful, I would have to say Milotic as well, but I mainly play on the defensive and generally subconsciously drift towards defensive types more. Now, as to who would win. That might be the more difficult question, and again I would have to say Milotic. Given the type advantage of a 4x weakness to Electric-type attacks, and if properly equipped with Hidden Power (Electric) would more than likely win.

Also, sorry but I got to do this.

Witch do i prefer?
    Garados, Garys the orgional, mil's the jelous copy-cat
    Witch is more usefull
    hmm, tie, they both have great uses
    Who would win?
    hmm,tough call, gary has that X4 against electric, but is strong against grass,
    and has that massive attack
    but milotic.......hmm, depends on if milotic had a good electric attack, if not, garados
    Witch > Which
    i > I
    Garados > Gyarados
    origonal > original
    jelous > jealous
    Again: Witch > Which
    usefull > useful
    Again: garados > Gyarados

Use proper grammar and spelling please, especially if you're sixteen.
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

rain dance thunder milotic dies.
    Last edited by DragonMaster95; 3rd April 2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Make way for the all mighty Dragons lolz

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I love both. I really do. But I have to say Gyarados. He's the original serpent and he is just awesome.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Hai! That's my golfball! Gatr Golf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I like them both to much.

For battling, both have ther uses. Between the two - assuming they're supposed to be counterparts - if trained perfectly equally to maximizes their skills I'd say even match. Which do I prefer? Well, I'd take 'em both. But I'd be especially happy if it's the Red Gyarados ;)
    I have claimed: Cross Poison ~ Toxicroak ~ Drizzle ~ Water Stone

Thanks for the banner, Kamex!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster95 View Post
    Dragon dance thunder milotic dies.
    What is the point of Dragon Dance if you're gonna use Thunder?? Also Milotic has very high Sp Def and Gyarados has very low Sp Atk and with Thunder's accuracy...Milotic could probably finish the fight. The best move would probably be either Flail Gyarados or get to like +6 Dragon Dances and just use Bounce or something..
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Milotic for me, because it has a more pleasing design, and the rarity makes it that bit more special. Gyarados' face has always bothered me, in part because it looks exactly like a kid I was at school with.

I control the future. YoshiSage's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Milotic, definitely. I've had some pretty unfortunate experiences with just about every Gyarados I've ever owned. And Milotic's design is much better.
    <insert clever anecdote here>

My favorite is Milotic. I have one named Bella from when it was actually hard to catch a Febas. I like her cry. ;)

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DragonMaster95 View Post
    Dragon dance thunder milotic dies.
    This is a terrible idea. Expanding on what Jesus said (lol, I can't believe I actually got to say that), Gyarados has a pretty low Sp. Atk compared to Milotic's Sp. Def. Also, Dragon Dance is as good as useless since (considering you're using Thunder) the only stat to get a boost would be Speed, which is inconsecuential as it stands. (To put it in perspective, their base Speed is tied. This means that if Milotic goes first, HP Electric kills Gyarados. If Gyarados Dragon Dances first, Milotic still uses HP Electric to kill him).

Add to that Thunder's very shaky 70 accuracy, and even if you did manage to pull off a DD Thunder, you still have a high chance of missing. But even if you did hit, you probably wouldn't be able to dent to even half of it's HP considering your bad Sp. Atk and her good Sp. Def. But even if you did manage to dent it, she can just Recover the damage away and keep going as if nothing had happened. Also, she can put you to sleep with Hypnosis and proceed from there.

And, actually, even if he isn't using that horrible Thunder tactic, he'd have to rely on either Stone Edge or Earthquake for damage (considering that Bounce is a joke and his good STAB attacks are resisted by Milotic) both of which Milotic can shrug off with her overall bulk as long as their undoosted. Now, if he did decide to take the time to DD up, she'd take advantage of the setup and kill him with HP Electric. And Status moves don't work either as all they do is increase Milotic's Defense even higher (thanks to Marvel Scale) so you can't T-Wave or Toxic stall it either.

Actually, I've just argued myself into siding with Milotic on this matchup. As long as she carries Hidden Power (Electric), it's a sure fire victory for her. If she doesn't have the desired HP... well, then it becomes alot more difficult to predict a winner.
    Last edited by Grass Type Warrior; 3rd April 2010 at 07:59 PM.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Gyarados to all of the questions. He looks cooler also...though his flying secondary type is shaky at best.
    "If we admit that human life can be ruled by reason, the possibility of life is destroyed." - Alexander Supertramp

I tried pretty hard my whole life what I'd call my best...I'm proud that I'm not proud.

Blog Entries

If it were the question a Generation back, it would be Milotic, definitely. But since the Physical-Special move split, I can finally include Gyarados in my team(so to say, arguably one of the best best bulky offensive water type in the standard game(not counting the Ubers) returned to glory).

which of these powerful Water types do you prefer?
    Gyarados. Never used Milotic.

Again, Gyarados, unless you want to stall in which case Milotic has the upper hand.

I don't think its a fair question. After 2-3 DDs, a Gyarados has a good chance of 2KOing Milotic, but if Milotic is carrying HP Electric, 'dos basically has no chance. If on the other hand Milotic isn't carrying HP Electric, then Gyarados has the edge since Milotic shall mainly use Special Attacks and Gyarados' Special Defense is one of his best stats. Really it just depends upon the situation.

So overall, I'd say Gyarados coz it just looks so damn cool(Milotic doesn't look all that beautiful to me), plus I never really used Milotic anyway.

Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast