4 44.44%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Norzan
  • 1 Post By Spyspotter

Thread: Gen I typechart vs. Gen VI typechart

Blog Entries
    Add Spyspotter on MySpace

Default Gen I typechart vs. Gen VI typechart

Both of these typecharts have multiple problems, resulting in some types being overpowered and other types being too weak. But which is the better of the two evils? Which would you rather battle under?

Default Re: Gen I typechart vs. Gen VI typechart

IMHO it is too early to judge Gen VI's type chart, whereas the problems with Gen I's type chart (esp. when combined with the limits of Gen I Pokemon; e.g. no viable counter to Psychics) are widely known.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

Follow Muur On Twitter
    Follow Muur on Tumblr Visit Muur's Youtube Channel

6 would be better I guess, more types so more variety.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    IMHO it is too early to judge Gen VI's type chart, whereas the problems with Gen I's type chart (esp. when combined with the limits of Gen I Pokemon; e.g. no viable counter to Psychics) are widely known.
    The Gen VI typechart has lots of problems, like Dark being too weak, Ice being completely pointless, and Fairy being overpowered.

Quote Originally Posted by Spyspotter View Post
    The Gen VI typechart has lots of problems, like Dark being too weak, Ice being completely pointless, and Fairy being overpowered.
    I don't think the first two are new. Ice may now be taking second fiddle to Fairy in the dragon-killing department, but Ice attacks are every bit as much of a dragon-killer as they've always been, and the only change to Dark I'm aware of is the new weakness to Fairy. Dark may not necessarily need its third weakness (nor Fighting), but it puts it in similar elemental standing to Psychic having three weaknesses already. It also permanently removes Wondertombs from the game and presents viable weak points against type combinations like Dark/Psychic (sole other weakness: 4x Bug) and Dark/Poison (sole other weakness: 2x Ground).

In a word, there will always be something OP. In G1 it was Psychic, in G5 it was Dragon. If it's Fairy's turn at top element now then so be it, but it's too early to tell how this will affect the competitive metagame.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 17th October 2013 at 07:53 PM.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

You Are (Not) Fine Winterdaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow Winterdaze on Tumblr

We don't know if any of those things are true yet, the metagame hasn't even started to take form yet. Well, other than Ice being pointless, which has been the case since Gen II.

I don't think Dark will end up being too weak, they have far too much utility value to be cast aside just because of an extra weakness. As long as hazards (and therefore spinblockers) are used, Dark types will be used.

The type chart has never been balanced, but Gen VI's is far less out of wack than Gen I's.

Blog Entries

Gen 6 type chart is alot better than Gen 1 type type chart. Are you seriously comparing Gen 6 type chart with Gen 1 type chart? Gen 1 type chart was the most broken thing i ever seen, Psychic was so overpowered because it had only two weakness (one in the original games because due to a programing error Psychic was immune to Ghost) and the only type that resisted it was itself. Poison was useless and now it's actualy usefull because it super effective against another type and it resists another type. Also Steel resisting Ghost and Dark didn't made sense to begin with and Ice was always crap defensive type but awesome offensively since the beggining and seriously doubt Ice is useless now because it's still awesome offensively. And do you even understand what they are trying to do with the new type chart? By making Dragon and Fighting weak to Fairy it means people will stop using Dragon and Fighting pokemon wich btw are overused as hell especially Conkeldurr and Garchomp and by making Fairy weak to Poison and Steel it means people will use Poison and Steel pokemon alot more often. Although i agree with people saying that Fairy shoudn't resist Bug and Dark and be SE against Dark since those two type aren't that good.
    Last edited by Norzan; 17th October 2013 at 08:20 AM.
    winstein likes this.

Claimer of Garchomp

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Norzan View Post
    Gen 6 type chart is a lot better than Gen 1 type type chart. Are you seriously comparing Gen 6 type chart with Gen 1 type chart? Gen 1 type chart was the most broken thing i ever seen, Psychic was so overpowered because it had only two weakness (one in the original games because due to a programing error Psychic was immune to Ghost) and the only type that resisted it was itself. Poison was useless and now it's actualy usefull because it super effective against another type and it resists another type. Also Steel resisting Ghost and Dark didn't made sense to begin with and Ice was always crap defensive type but awesome offensively since the beggining and seriously doubt Ice is useless now because it's still awesome offensively. And do you even understand what they are trying to do with the new type chart? By making Dragon and Fighting weak to Fairy it means people will stop using Dragon and Fighting pokemon wich btw are overused as hell especially Conkeldurr and Garchomp and by making Fairy weak to Poison and Steel it means people will use Poison and Steel pokemon a lot more often. Although i agree with people saying that Fairy shoudn't resist Bug and Dark and be SE against Dark since those two type aren't that good.
    Umm... okay, first thing's first. While I will admit the Gen I typechart had its share of problems, you honestly can't see any of the Gen VI typechart's problems?

First, what they did to the steel type. It was meant to be awesome defensively and nothing special offensively. After all, there are few Steel moves that have a power above 80. The resistances to Ghost and Dark DID make sense because I never heard of dark thoughts/actions or ghosts doing any damage to metal. Now, not only did Nintendo/GF make Steel more offensive but made it less defensive too. What in tarnation, Nintendo/GF?

But what angers me the most is the Fairy type. Aside from making dark weak and pointless, it became overpowered as well. Speaking of overpowered, overused =/= overpowered. Sure, dragons are EVERYWHERE, but they can easily be dealt with if you have an Abomasnow with Blizzard and NeverMeltIce. Besides, what do you get when a type is strong against three of the most commonly used types, and weak only to an underpowered type and a defensive one? An overpowered type, of course!

Quote Originally Posted by Winterdaze View Post
    We don't know if any of those things are true yet, the metagame hasn't even started to take form yet. Well, other than Ice being pointless, which has been the case since Gen II.

I don't think Dark will end up being too weak, they have far too much utility value to be cast aside just because of an extra weakness. As long as hazards (and therefore spinblockers) are used, Dark types will be used.

The type chart has never been balanced, but Gen VI's is far less out of wack than Gen I's.
    The thing is, Gen I barely even had a metagame and people know of its typechart's problems.

Second, Ice was once useful, as it did 4x damage to all fully evolved Dragons before Gen V. But now, not only is Fairy strong against Dragons, it is completely immune to dragons and is way less obscure than Ice. The Ice type was completely left in the drink!

Dark was kinda screwed a long time ago. At least the Fighting type will be less common, but it was replaced with Fairy, which is considerably worse.

And for which one was better... Both have a lot of problems, But Gen I's was the typechart that started the franchise, so you can't expect it to be perfect. In contrast, Gen VI's was built on an almost perfect typechart. Sure, Poison can use another strength, preferably against Water which is beginning to be overpowered. And it wouldn't hurt to have Ice resist Dragon. Other than that, it was completely fine and since Gen VI ruined it, I'd say that makes Gen VI's typechart worse.

Blog Entries

Umm... okay, first thing's first. While I will admit the Gen I typechart had its share of problems, you honestly can't see any of the Gen VI typechart's problems?

First, what they did to the steel type. It was meant to be awesome defensively and nothing special offensively. After all, there are few Steel moves that have a power above 80. The resistances to Ghost and Dark DID make sense because I never heard of dark thoughts/actions or ghosts doing any damage to metal. Now, not only did Nintendo/GF make Steel more offensive but made it less defensive too. What in tarnation, Nintendo/GF?

But what angers me the most is the Fairy type. Aside from making dark weak and pointless, it became overpowered as well. Speaking of overpowered, overused =/= overpowered. Sure, dragons are EVERYWHERE, but they can easily be dealt with if you have an Abomasnow with Blizzard and NeverMeltIce. Besides, what do you get when a type is strong against three of the most commonly used types, and weak only to an underpowered type and a defensive one? An overpowered type, of course!
    Again you fail to see what they are trying to do. By introducing a type wich is strong against the strongest types it means people will start using those strong type less and less and by making weak against underpowered types it means people will use those underpowered types alot more often. I don't know what kind of people you are battling but Abomasnow is crap at defeating dragons, i've defeated countless Abomasnow with my Garchomp with just one Fire Fang and the Abomasnow i fought had all 31 ivs and 252 evs in hp and def, there are only two Ice type pokemon that threaten the pseudo dragons and those are Mamoswine and Frolass and last do you know how broken the pseudo dragons are? Garchomp onlys needs one Swords Dance, Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus and Hydreigon only need one Dragon Dance to sweep an entire team.

Steel maybe have lost two resistances but it gain one against one type that is going to be overused and don't Ghosts go through everything even steel? There, Steel resisting Ghost doesn't make sense. That argument to say that Steel resists Dark makes sense is really, let's say, bad because it doesn't make sense and finally i think Steel shouldn't resist Psychic because Alakazam is bending two freaking metal spoons, it means it can bend steel.

Most of the Fairy type pokemon have horrible BST with the exception of Azumarill, Gardevoir, Sylveon, Togekiss and perhaps Mega Mawile and three of those have crap physical bulk, a Mega Scizor can basically OHKO them with a Bullet Punch. Also Fairy will never replace Ice as a Dragon Killer because only one Dragon is 4 xweak to Fairy and five of them have 4x weakness to Ice, no Fairy type pokemon is going to dethrone Mamoswine as the best Dragon Killer. And also i think the reason they made Fairy strong against Dark was to give Sableye and Spiritomb an actual weakness because it was incredibly stupid two pokemon walking around with 0 weakness.

Finally you are now complaining about type chart problems now?? Of course that there's going to be some types that are absolute crap and others that are overpowered but nothing compares to the awfulness that was Gen 1 type chart, that thing was broken as hell. Ice has always been crap since gen 2, poison and bug were just useless offensively, the only Bug type pokemon that are actualy good are Scizor and Volcarona and its because of their second typing.
    Last edited by Norzan; 21st October 2013 at 03:57 PM.

Claimer of Garchomp

Blog Entries

Again you fail to see what they are trying to do. By introducing a type wich is strong against the strongest type it means people will start using those strong type less and less and by making weak against underpowered types it means people will use those underpowered types alot more often. I don't know what kind of people you are battling but Abomasnow is crap at defeating dragons, i've defeated countless Abomasnow with my Garchomp with just one Fire Fang and the Abomasnow i fought had all 31 ivs and 252 evs in hp and def, there are only two Ice type pokemon that threaten the pseudo dragons and those are Mamoswine and Frolass and last do you know how broken the pseudo dragons are? Garchomp onlys needs one Swords Dance, Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus and Hydreigon only need one Dragon Dance to sweep an entire team,

Steel maybe have lost two resistances but it gain one against one type that is going to be overused and don't Ghosts go through everything even steel? There, Steel resisting Ghost doesn't make sense. That argument to say that Steel resists Dark makes sense is really, let's say, bad because it doesn't make sense and finally i think Steel shouldn't resist Psychic because Alakazam is bending two freaking metal spoons, it means it can bend steel.

Most of the Fairy type pokemon have horrible BST with the exception of Azumarill, Gardevoir, Sylveon, Togekiss and perhaps Mega Mawile and three of those have crap physical bulk, a Mega Scizor can basically OHKO them with a Bullet Punch. Also Fairy will never replace Ice as a Dragon Killer because only one Dragon is 4 xweak to Fairy and five of them have 4x weakness to Ice, no Fairy type pokemon is going to dethrone Mamoswine as the best Dragon Killer.

Finally you are now complaining about type chart problems now?? Of course that there's going to be some types that are absolute crap and others that are overpowered but nothing compares to the awfulness that was Gen 1 type chart, that thing was broken as hell. Ice has always been crap since gen 2, poison and bug were just useless offensively, the only Bug type pokemon that are actualy good are Scizor and Volcarona and its because of their second typing.
    Abomasnow? Crap? Are you serious? Abomasnow does have a lot of weaknesses, but it can instantly defeat 95% of Dragons in the metagame in one hit if you know how to use one right. But, enough with that. and back to the typecharts.

Now about Steel. Steel is inanimate. Therefore, it doesn't have a mind and the resistance to psychic makes sense. Dark is based on darkness, whether it's the dark side of fighting or the darkness of the night. To put this into perspective, ninjas would be a good representative of the dark type because they are very sneaky and rely on darkness to ambush enemies. But, a ninja can't do much if the enemy is wearing steel armor, and anything the ninja could try to do would get him noticed. Therefore, the resistance to Dark makes sense. And while a ghost can go through steel, it causes no damage to the steel itself. And a ghost can't really do anything to damage the steel itself. After all, the ghost is dead. So the resistance to ghost makes sense.

Now about Dragon. The pseudo-legends aren't overpowered. They're overused and overrated. Garchomp doesn't get STAB with Fire Fang and barely poses a threat anyway. (Also, Weavile, Lapras, and Walrein are WAY better than Mamoswine.)

Also, Fairy has a better set of strengths and weaknesses, is immune to dragons, and is OP so it pushed the Ice type to the equator. Also, Ice types were never weak, they were just underused and underpowered. The opposite of Dragon, if you will. Plus, Fairy completely ruined what little usefulness that Altaria and Druddigon had.

Finally, Volcarona is garbage. I mean, Earthquake is everywhere and Volcarona's defense stat is practically zero. It's not that the Bug type was underpowered, it's just that the Bug type has few good Pokémon.

Blog Entries

Again you fail to see what they are trying to do. By introducing a type wich is strong against the strongest type it means people will start using those strong type less and less and by making weak against underpowered types it means people will use those underpowered types alot more often. I don't know what kind of people you are battling but Abomasnow is crap at defeating dragons, i've defeated countless Abomasnow with my Garchomp with just one Fire Fang and the Abomasnow i fought had all 31 ivs and 252 evs in hp and def, there are only two Ice type pokemon that threaten the pseudo dragons and those are Mamoswine and Frolass and last do you know how broken the pseudo dragons are? Garchomp onlys needs one Swords Dance, Dragonite, Salamence, Haxorus and Hydreigon only need one Dragon Dance to sweep an entire team,

Most of the Fairy type pokemon have horrible BST with the exception of Azumarill, Gardevoir, Sylveon, Togekiss and perhaps Mega Mawile and three of those have crap physical bulk, a Mega Scizor can basically OHKO them with a Bullet Punch. Also Fairy will never replace Ice as a Dragon Killer because only one Dragon is 4 xweak to Fairy and five of them have 4x weakness to Ice, no Fairy type pokemon is going to dethrone Mamoswine as the best Dragon Killer.

Abomasnow? Crap? Are you serious? Abomasnow does have a lot of weaknesses, but it can instantly defeat 95% of Dragons in the metagame in one hit if you know how to use one right. But, enough with that. and back to the typecharts.

Now about Steel. Steel is inanimate. Therefore, it doesn't have a mind and the resistance to psychic makes sense. Dark is based on darkness, whether it's the dark side of fighting or the darkness of the night. To put this into perspective, ninjas would be a good representative of the dark type because they are very sneaky and rely on darkness to ambush enemies. But, a ninja can't do much if the enemy is wearing steel armor, and anything the ninja could try to do would get him noticed. Therefore, the resistance to Dark makes sense. And while a ghost can go through steel, it causes no damage to the steel itself. And a ghost can't really do anything to damage the steel itself. After all, the ghost is dead. So the resistance to ghost makes sense.

Now about Dragon. The pseudo-legends aren't overpowered. They're overused and overrated. Garchomp doesn't get STAB with Fire Fang and barely poses a threat anyway. (Also, Weavile, Lapras, and Walrein are WAY better than Mamoswine.)

Also, Fairy has a better set of strengths and weaknesses, is immune to dragons, and is OP so it pushed the Ice type to the equator. Also, Ice types were never weak, they were just underused and underpowered. The opposite of Dragon, if you will. Plus, Fairy completely ruined what little usefulness that Altaria and Druddigon had.

Finally, Volcarona is garbage. I mean, Earthquake is everywhere and Volcarona's defense stat is practically zero. It's not that the Bug type was underpowered, it's just that the Bug type has few good Pokémon.
    Abomasnow is absolute garbage, really slow, has mediocre attack and special attack and tons of weaknesses. Volcarona is garbage?? Another person that doesn't know how to use it, i have swept countless teams with Volcarona, one Quiver Dance and it OHKO nearly every pokemon, Mamoswine is alot better than Weavile, Lapras and Wailren becasue of high attack, great bulk an acess to Ice Shard wich is the bane of the dragons. Oh my god, your arguments to say that Steel resisting Ghost and Dark make sense are so freaking bad , ninjas can't do anything to enemies wearing armor so Steel should resist Dark because of that?? ninjas can kill armored enemies as easily as unarmored enemies, are you serious?. And the logic for Ghost, so much damn fail, by that logic all the types except itself should resist Ghost because ghosts can go through all of them and either types get damaged. Ok i'm done here, your crying and whining isn't gonna change a damn thing and if you wanna skip this gen then by all means do it, no one cares or even better quit pokemon while you are ahead because Fairy type and Mega evolutions are here to stay, the door is right there.

Claimer of Garchomp

Dark is based on darkness, whether it's the dark side of fighting or the darkness of the night.
    That is probably oversimplifying it: Dark is officially known as "Evil" in its native Japanese, and the connection to literal darkness is only secondary.

Blog Entries

Abomasnow is absolute garbage, really slow, has mediocre attack and special attack and tons of weaknesses. Volcarona is garbage?? Another person that doesn't know how to use it, i have swept countless teams with Volcarona, one Quiver Dance and it OHKO nearly every pokemon, Mamoswine is alot better than Weavile, Lapras and Wailren becasue of high attack, great bulk an acess to Ice Shard wich is the bane of the dragons. Oh my god, your arguments to say that Steel resisting Ghost and Dark make sense are so freaking bad , ninjas can't do anything to enemies wearing armor so Steel should resist Dark because of that?? ninjas can kill armored enemies as easily as unarmored enemies, are you serious?. And the logic for Ghost, so much damn fail, by that logic all the types except itself should resist Ghost because ghosts can go through all of them and either types get damaged. Ok i'm done here, your crying and whining isn't gonna change a damn thing and if you wanna skip this gen then by all means do it, no one cares or even better quit pokemon while you are ahead because Fairy type and Mega evolutions are here to stay, the door is right there.

Can ghosts damage steel? They can fight other ghosts and mess with the minds of psychics so there are the two strengths. Tell me one case where a ninja kills an armored enemy easily or a ghost destroys something made of steel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Dark is based on darkness, whether it's the dark side of fighting or the darkness of the night.
    That is probably oversimplifying it: Dark is officially known as "Evil" in its native Japanese, and the connection to literal darkness is only secondary.
    Except that Sableye seems to be based on the "darkness" concept of caves, rather than being evil. And Umbreon's design also seems to be based on it being able to camouflage itself in the dark. So I would say that the nighttime is equally a source of inspiration to being evil.

OT: I prefer Gen VI, of course. I haven't played with it much, but Gen I is lame because my favorite pokemon are Electric instead of Electric/Steel!