FAQ: Creating a Contest

Thread: Creating a Contest

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Creating a Contest

Greetings!

Do you want to create a Contest, but are you not sure of how to do it the best way possible? Look no further, for we shall help you to create a high quality Contest!

First and foremost, please read, if you have not done so, the Contest Hall's Rules. Even if you already did, reviewing them is always a good idea!

Now, in order to start your Contest, you need to create a new thread (if you do not know how to do so yet, simply press the "Post New Thread" button on the right top of the thread list). Then, it is time to start out by writing your post.

Please have the following points in mind:

• Include an introduction to your Contest. Why did you chose those particular contestants? Is there any kind of specific goal they should meet in order to be more vote worthy? Etc...

• Present the Contestants. We suggest you to do so using the highest quality artwork possible (as an example, in the case of Pokémon themselves, you should use Sugimori artwork or their newest sprites). NOTE: To add an image, simply press the button and fill it with your image's link. Also, if your image is prone to stretch others' screens, please spoiler it. To do so, simply highlight your image's code and press the button.

Do not forget to name them as well, and display their strongest and weakest points to help the voters decide.

Researching a little about the contestants is very useful. For most things Pokémon, Bulbapedia should have the information you need.

• Create a questionnaire. Normally those help the voters decide, so the more points you provide the better! Examples:
      • Whose design do you prefer?
      • Who is the best battler?
      • Which one is the most useful?

After your thread is written, it is time for the final preparations!

• Insert a title. A good title is generally one which informs. A generic "X vs Y vs ..." (example: "Pikachu VS Meowth") should suffice, but if you are pitting something specific, it might be better to make the title something in the lines of "Region Wars: Kanto VS Unova!", for example. These flavour texts may also help increase the interest in your Contest, so try to use them.

• Create a Poll. These are essential to keep track of the voters' preferences. If you do not know how to make one, scroll below to see our mini-tutorial "How to Create a Poll" (or, alternatively, click here). Your Poll should contain at the very least the contestants, but including the Neither/Both options usually works well.

• Check your spelling and grammar. A good tip is to copy paste your text into an online spell checker (here is a nice one) or your text processor of choice.

Once all these procedures are complete, your Contest is ready to be posted. We hope you had fun creating your contest and another good time watching it develop!

From your staff friends.
    Last edited by ghaskan; 21st June 2011 at 12:34 PM.

backloggery ~ 3DS FC: 2595-2044-6030 ~ tumblr

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Creating a Poll

HOW TO CREATE A POLL

1. Check out the options thread options and select the empty box next to "Yes, post a poll with this thread".

2. Submit the thread.

3. After you do so, you will be redirected to a new page where you can change your poll's definitions. Fill it until your heart is content, but please refrain from using the "Close Poll" option, as Contests are meant to last indefinitely.

Tip: Using fewer poll options will help your Poll to be more successful!

4. Submit the poll, and your thread with a Poll shall be now ready for everyone to read and vote!

Submitted your thread before adding a Poll? Do not worry! You can still do it.

Right above your first post, to the right, are the "Thread Tools". Click over them and select the "Add a Poll to this Thread" option. Then, you can fulfill it just like you would normally do. Press "Submit new Poll" and you are done.

From your staff friends.

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Please feel free to post any questions, suggestions or feedback regarding the tutorial on this thread.

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Creating a Contest

I prefer using sprites for the pokemon themselves. Is using Sugimori artwork a requirement or just a suggestion?

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Just a suggestion.

Blog Entries

Can this said contest be a game? Like a tournament where everyone votes for one then you'd have to vote for new ones the next day?

I've made up a tournament for Pokemon Teams but don't know where to put it lol

What do you mean, exactly? Feel free to post any battle that hasn't been done before (use the search feature or the Index to check), and please don't set a time for the poll to close. But if you want to post a battle, wait for a day's results, then post another based on a few...feel free, so long as it doesn't go against the rules of the Contest Hall.

Blog Entries

I mean a contest game without a poll. Like I had a game not on here. It's a Pokemon teams tournament and you had to vote on each battle with team would win. The winning teams move on while the loosing teams die out.

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

The Contest Hall doesn't support those kind of tournaments. However, you could attempt to use the blogs for that, as no section really serves for you to do that activity.
    Last edited by ghaskan; 24th April 2011 at 05:24 AM.

Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Could this be a place (if not a sub-forum if there's interest) to ask for short reviews of certain pokémon? Say Maractus, how it stands competitively and if the design is appealing. With a poll where its given a number between 0 and 10.

I'm interested in these statistics as I want to know the exact bottom 100 list.

Blog Entries

From what I understand here, you are asking if threads involving only one Pokemon is allowed. In that case, I don't think so, as this sub-forum is for threads comparing two or more subjects. I am not sure how you can go around doing this, but the best I can think of is to create a blog to ask people this, or specifically ask anyone to help you with the statistics.

Thanks for reading.
    “Detachment does not consist in setting fire to one's house, or becoming bankrupt or throwing one's fortune out of the window, or even giving away all of one's possessions. Detachment consists in refraining from letting our possessions possess us.”

Bonus articles: Ice-type Reviews - Generation 1 (23/10/2014)

Steel Pokémon Master Bulletproof Scales's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the quick answer! This could be blog material, if the blog only had the capability to reach out to a significant amount of people.
    Won't hurt giving it a try I suppose.