RULES: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) [Updated 6/8]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) [Updated 6/8]

Blog Entries

Default Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) [Updated 6/8]

The rules, rewritten to work with the new forum rules:

1. Any duplicate battle WILL result in a Multiple Posts infraction.
      To prevent this, search the Contest Hall forum before posting or use the Contest Hall Index, which is an effort to keep an up-to-date list of all the contests. If a contest has been around for a few days and hasn't been added to the Index, feel free to point it out to one of the mods of the section.

2. Add a poll. The addition of a poll ensures that people can vote without posting, which allows them to give their opinion when they lack reasoning.
      The poll mustn't have an expiration date. If the poll expires, it will prevent people from voting.
      If you create a thread without a poll, right above your first post, to the right, are the "Thread Tools". Click over them and select the "Add a Poll to this Thread" option. Then, you can fulfill it just like you would normally do. Press "Submit new Poll" and you are done. If you accidentally add an expiration date, PM me (GrnMarvl14), and I'll remove the expiration date (or, if you notice it soon enough, delete it and remake it).

3. While joke answers can be added to the poll, you should not post only to say that you voted for it. As it adds nothing to the discussion, it will be considered a Pointless Post and thus be infractable.
      As for commenting a poll's results, you are allowed to do so, but only if it has something to do with the battle itself, and not JUST what poll reflects by itself, such as a tie or the advantage regarding the number of votes a certain contestant has over another. Breaking this rule will also result in a Pointless Post infraction.

4. When voting please give a reason for why you made that particular choice. Failure to do so will result in a Pointless Post infraction.
      Don't just post "Pokemon X wins", or "I like Pokemon X", or anything along those lines. Tell us why it should win, or why you prefer it, even if it's only because you like its looks better. If you have no reason for your choices, please do not post. This is an effort on our part to generate discussion, and also fend off people spamming the Contest Hall with minimal effort.

1. Please do not say your choice is obvious (or any word/expression along these lines) when giving a reasoning in any contest; while it may be obvious for you, others may be clueless about what characteristic you are referring to. Also, please avoid using your username, avatar, signature as the reason, because these are subject to change at any time, taking away the meaning of your post.

5. To help people search better, participants of the battles MUST be posted in the thread title. Posts not adhering to this rule will receive an Incoherent/Unreadable Post infraction and the mods will alter the title to what we deem to be the best fit.
      The occasional exception will be made, but only very, very rarely, and it's best to assume your thread WON'T be an exception. If you're unsure if we'll make an exception...ask one of the assigned mods. Those threads already existing don't need to be altered, but new threads need to abide by this. This will also help us in maintaining the Index. Help us to help you.

6. English names must be used in thread titles if they exist.
      This is to help keep the Index more uniform, so we don't have to list it under every possible name for the Pokemon/character. You can use whatever name you like within the thread itself, and when discussing things, but please use the English name in the thread title. No infraction will be given, but you may see your thread title changed to the English equivalent, if one exists.

7. Make sure your thread only has one match-up being discussed. Multiple match-ups in a single thread are not allowed. Threads disrespecting this rule will be closed without exception.

8. Pokemon, Pokemon trainers, Pokemon moves and the like will be allowed, but no Pokemon things vs. non-Pokemon things (i.e., a Pokemon vs. a Digimon).
      Threads like this will either be closed or moved at the mods' whims. If someone consistently disobeys this rule, we'll throw out some sort of infraction, but otherwise, it's not going to net one.
      If you wish to discuss match-ups which are not from the Pokémon universe, or are crossovers, please use Ultimate Showdown.

If you see ANY thread that violates ANY of these rules...report it. Do not post to say why it's wrong, just report it, and we will deal with it if it needs dealt with.

And, just a reminder: Any anime-centric threads should be posted in the anime section's Professor Orchid's Live Caster section. Anime vs manga or anime vs games are still going to be in this section, but strictly anime threads go in the Live Caster.
    Last edited by ghaskan; 8th June 2011 at 08:08 AM. Reason: Update.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting)

I have a question, GrnMarvl. Does this rule apply here? Because I've found a fair amount of one-word posts, although I wasn't sure if they were worth reporting or not.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

That rule's always been conditional and up to the moderator's discretion. I usually allow one word posts if it answers the question posed by the thread. A favorite, or a contest, can easily be answered in one word, and I'm fine with that, though I DO encourage people to post more than one word, just to foster discussion.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm noticing a few crossover match ups over in the main Pokemon world. I know they're not allowed in this subforum, but might it be a good idea if there maybe was a place to put those match ups so they don't litter the main page? Kind of like a sub-sub forum specifically for crossover matches?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post
    I'm noticing a few crossover match ups over in the main Pokemon world. I know they're not allowed in this subforum, but might it be a good idea if there maybe was a place to put those match ups so they don't litter the main page? Kind of like a sub-sub forum specifically for crossover matches?

Just an idea I'm throwing out there
    We'll see. If it gets out of hand, we'll figure out what to do.

Surprise! winstein's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (10/17 - minor clarification)

Does "Thread Necromancy" applies on this board? That is, is it allowed to post on a thread that's not been posted for at least 30 days? If not, does that mean that a new thread of the same contest is allowed?

Thanks for reading.
    “A single soul can uphold a standard far above the low threshold by which the world measures itself.”

Latest Review: Dark-type Award Ceremony
    Bonus articles: Mega Evolution Candidates (Part 7) -- Generation 6 Pokémon (07/12/2013)

Blog Entries

Default Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (10/17 - minor clarification)

Quote Originally Posted by winstein View Post
    Does "Thread Necromancy" applies on this board? That is, is it allowed to post on a thread that's not been posted for at least 30 days? If not, does that mean that a new thread of the same contest is allowed?

Thanks for reading.
    Rule #1:

Search the Contest Hall forum before posting. Any duplicate battles WILL result in a double post (topic) infraction (exceptions will be made if the previous version of the battle hasn't been posted in for over thirty days, though no necromancy infractions will be given out for reviving these threads).
    Bolded the applicable part.

Blog Entries

Relating to the second rule, does that mean if you can't make up your mind on a vote, though are fond of several options, and therefore don't vote, you should not reply to the thread?

Edit:

AGH! I'm such an idiot! Never mind, I understand.
    "I'm battling a Magma Abdomen" - my brother

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan On Twitter
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Default Re: Contest Hall Rules (Read Before Posting) (11/19 - New rule added)

As of 11/19, a new rule was added and some suffered a revision - please do read them again.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

There are two rule #3's. I also have a question:

The rule no longer says you have to pick one option (I got infracted last time when I said I had no favourite). Does this mean you can now say you like them equally as long as you give a reason, or did you just forget to add it?

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    There are two rule #3's. I also have a question:

The rule no longer says you have to pick one option (I got infracted last time when I said I had no favourite). Does this mean you can now say you like them equally as long as you give a reason, or did you just forget to add it?
    Thanks for pointing that out. I corrected it.

Yes. In fact, one of the new rules' main objective was to eliminate the slightly silly but needed rule which restricted neutral responses. Now, you can indeed use them, as long as you justify.

Diamond Protoss ;D Light of Aiur's Avatar

What does it mean to revive a thread to just comment on who's winning?

Blog Entries

That means posting in a thread just to comment on the poll results. There's nothing wrong with discussing the contestants or posting in an older thread to say who you'd think would win, but posting just to say someone's winning is fairly spammy and doesn't really add to the discussion. And this is really true of almost any poll on the site. Discussing the poll itself is one thing, but the results, especially while voting is still open...not much you're going to be adding, and the post could fairly quickly becoming irrelevant.

Blog Entries

Hi! I was wondering if a City vs City thread would be allowed.

It could be like...
    -Which is more important?
    -Which is bigger?
    -Which has better citizens (like Gym Leaders, Professors, etc.)
    -Which is your favorite?
    다시 니 품에 안기고 싶은 나
    dashi ni poome angigo shipeun na
    고개숙였어 입을 막아 버렸어
    gogaesookyeosseo ipeul maka beoryeosseo

아직아닌가봐 잊지 못했나봐
    ajikaningabwa itji mothaettnabwa
    내맘이 널 가슴이 널 놓치 못했나봐
    naemami neol gaseumi neol nohji mothaettnabwa
    그리웠었나봐 잡고 싶었나봐
    geuriweosseottnabwa japgo shipeottnabwa
    그날의 널 사랑한 널 보낼수가 없었나봐
    geunaleui neol saranghan neol bonaelsuga eopseottnabwa

Blog Entries
    Follow ghaskan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Gummy Spider View Post
    Hi! I was wondering if a City vs City thread would be allowed.

It could be like...
    -Which is more important?
    -Which is bigger?
    -Which has better citizens (like Gym Leaders, Professors, etc.)
    -Which is your favorite?
    As long as it involves two cities from the Pokémon World, it's a fair game.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast