The rules, rewritten to work with the new forum rules:
- Any duplicate battle WILL result in a Multiple Posts infraction.
To prevent this, search the Contest Hall forum before posting or use the Contest Hall Index, which is an effort to keep an up-to-date list of all the contests. If a contest has been around for a few days and hasn't been added to the Index, feel free to point it out to one of the mods of the section.
- Add a poll. The addition of a poll ensures that people can vote without posting, which allows them to give their opinion when they lack reasoning.
The poll mustn't have an expiration date. If the poll expires, it will prevent people from voting.
If you create a thread without a poll, right above your first post, to the right, are the "Thread Tools". Click over them and select the "Add a Poll to this Thread" option. Then, you can fulfill it just like you would normally do. Press "Submit new Poll" and you are done. If you accidentally add an expiration date, PM me (GrnMarvl14), and I'll remove the expiration date (or, if you notice it soon enough, delete it and remake it).
- While joke answers can be added to the poll, you should not post only to say that you voted for it. As it adds nothing to the discussion, it will be considered a Pointless Post and thus be infractable.
As for commenting a poll's results, you are allowed to do so, but only if it has something to do with the battle itself, and not JUST what poll reflects by itself, such as a tie or the advantage regarding the number of votes a certain contestant has over another. Breaking this rule will also result in a Pointless Post infraction.
- When voting please give a reason for why you made that particular choice. Failure to do so will result in a Pointless Post infraction.
Don't just post "Pokemon X wins", or "I like Pokemon X", or anything along those lines. Tell us why it should win, or why you prefer it, even if it's only because you like its looks better. If you have no reason for your choices, please do not post. This is an effort on our part to generate discussion, and also fend off people spamming the Contest Hall with minimal effort.
- Please do not say your choice is obvious (or any word/expression along these lines) when giving a reasoning in any contest; while it may be obvious for you, others may be clueless about what characteristic you are referring to. Also, please avoid using your username, avatar, signature as the reason, because these are subject to change at any time, taking away the meaning of your post.
- To help people search better, participants of the battles MUST be posted in the thread title. Posts not adhering to this rule will receive an Incoherent/Unreadable Post infraction and the mods will alter the title to what we deem to be the best fit.
The occasional exception will be made, but only very, very rarely, and it's best to assume your thread WON'T be an exception. If you're unsure if we'll make an exception...ask one of the assigned mods. Those threads already existing don't need to be altered, but new threads need to abide by this. This will also help us in maintaining the Index. Help us to help you.
- English names must be used in thread titles if they exist.
This is to help keep the Index more uniform, so we don't have to list it under every possible name for the Pokemon/character. You can use whatever name you like within the thread itself, and when discussing things, but please use the English name in the thread title. No infraction will be given, but you may see your thread title changed to the English equivalent, if one exists.
- Make sure your thread only has one match-up being discussed. Multiple match-ups in a single thread are not allowed. Threads disrespecting this rule will be closed without exception.
- Pokemon, Pokemon trainers, Pokemon moves and the like will be allowed, but no Pokemon things vs. non-Pokemon things (i.e., a Pokemon vs. a Digimon).
Threads like this will either be closed or moved at the mods' whims. If someone consistently disobeys this rule, we'll throw out some sort of infraction, but otherwise, it's not going to net one.
If you wish to discuss match-ups which are not from the Pokémon universe, or are crossovers, please use Ultimate Showdown.
If you see ANY thread that violates ANY of these rules...report it. Do not post to say why it's wrong, just report it, and we will deal with it if it needs dealt with.
And, just a reminder: Any anime-centric threads should be posted in the anime section's Professor Orchid's Live Caster section. Anime vs manga or anime vs games are still going to be in this section, but strictly anime threads go in the Live Caster.