20 35.71%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Chikorita vs. Totodile vs. Cyndaquil

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Chikorita vs. Totodile vs. Cyndaquil

Quote Originally Posted by /Zer0 View Post
    They all have their ups and downs, their 'class'. I'm assuming you're going to evolve them.

Meganium is a supporter, Feraligatr is a Physical Tank (ATK/DEF), and Typhlosion is a Special Sweeper.

If you're going to solo the game, Meganium, I think, is out of the picture because it's typing has many weaknesses and it's offensive stats aren't that great.
    I've soloed the game with Meganium easy. The secret is that if you're soloing a game, the Pokemon your soloing it with will be at such a high level that it will just stomp through everything on it's path. Stats, movepool and typing become completely irrelevant because you're just too damn fast and hit too damn hard for anyone to come close to beating you (people have soloed the game with Magikarp, to give you an idea of what I mean)

Quote Originally Posted by WachampLover View Post
    Despite what people say, Chikorita isn't all that bad. I had one in a previous save and really enjoyed training one. I would consider one if you have room for a mixed defender/supporter or just like it.

Despite my sentiments towards it, it isn't as good as the other two.
    It's not worse or better than the others. It's different. She takes a defensive approach, which means that she won't hit as hard but will take plenty more hits. The strategy's not as fast, but just as effective.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail View Post
    First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.
    Pryce's Pokemon are all composed of part Water types. Meganium hits them super effectively. Moreover, she's the only Starter that can hit Clair's best Pokemon (Kingdra) with her STAB and not get laughed at. She can also take out Gyarados the same way, unlike both Typhlosion and Feraligatr.

I do think that Feraligatr is still the best choice of the three, but it really only depends on who you like best. They can all solo the entire game with little trouble if you know how to use them so just choose which one you like best.

What I mean by this whole post is that you shouldn't let yourself be swayed by the Meganium haters. She's just as capable of handling the gyms as everyone else is.

Byt I reiterate, use whichever one you like best (even if it is the "girly" looking one) and you should be fine, especially if you want to solo the game.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries
    Add Meguroco on Facebook
    Follow Meguroco on Tumblr

I'm gonna go with Totodile.
    It's my favorite Johto Pokémon. :D

Get those Devil Horns up Magmortar123's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I say totodile ^^
    My stats
    BMGF Mentor Program!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Springer
    Would you dance on a Czechoslovakian?
    I strongly support DaniHime (Me X Orihime)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Envoy View Post

What I mean by this whole post is that you shouldn't let yourself be swayed by the Meganium haters. She's just as capable of handling the gyms as everyone else is.
    but you would have to train meganium to a higher lvl then the other two at the start.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Xellos-_^ View Post
    but you would have to train meganium to a higher lvl then the other two at the start.
    We're talking about soloing the game, aren't we? In that case, it really doesn't matter since all the experience from all the trainer battles will go to her. She'll be just as able to take out the first few opponents as Totodile and Cyndaquil with the same battle experience.

I've soloed the game with all three Starters (actually, I've soloed all the games with all their respective Starters) and not once have I had to go out of my way to train one of them over the others because they couldn't match up. If you can't do it, then it's more a testament to your skill as a trainer or your inexpertise on how to handle the Pokemon you're using than to the Pokemon itself.

And if you're not soloing the game, well that's what teammates are for.

Besides, Charmander needs to be trained to a higher level than the other two at the start of his game but that doesn't stop people from using him. What's the difference?

Chikorita has always been my favourite since I played GSC as a child, though I also liked Cyndaquil as well.

Blog Entries

I would go with Cyndaquil
    Croconaw is officially claimed!

Quote Originally Posted by Time
    Did Ghastly come from a fart, or something? And why is it poisonous?

Blog Entries

So for those of you who don't read he's soloing the game with one of the starters. That means telling him to form a team around one of the starters is useless.

For a solo Totodile is the best, it gets good coverage with its moves and has good attack and defense.

Besides, Charmander needs to be trained to a higher level than the other two at the start of his game but that doesn't stop people from using him. What's the difference?
    One's a dragon. The other is not. That is the difference. And it is a big one.

Also, Charmander is fast and has a high special attack which bypasses the high physical defense of Brock's Pokemon. Chikorita is slow and doesn't have good attacking stats.
    Last edited by Rakarei; 18th October 2010 at 09:01 PM.
    Secret butt fun!

Avatar made by this guy. I have a YouTube account and a twitter.
    In Soviet Bulbagarden, anime is butthurt over all aspects of YOU!

Blog Entries

Totodile would be my main choice if I were to solo a game with one of the starters. It is just so much better than Cyndaquil and Chikorita in my opinion.
    Astronomy Club... you know you want to.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaname Madoka
    If someone tells me that it’s wrong to hope, I will tell them they’re wrong every time.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Rakarei View Post
    One's a dragon. The other is not. That is the difference. And it is a big one.
    Except not really.

Also, Charmander is fast and has a high special attack which bypasses the high physical defense of Brock's Pokemon. Chikorita is slow and doesn't have good attacking stats.
    You're soloing the game. Your level alone should give you all the speed and attack you need to take out Falkner. Chikorita's in the same boat as Charmander during the early stages of the game (down to the being weak to the first two gym leaders) and after that, it's stops being important becaue your level should be way too high by that point for stats and typing to be of much relevance at all.

Blog Entries

Also, Envoy, you're a Chikorita fanboy, I know and I respect the dedication you have. But in this situation it would be easier to use a different starter, which you've said, so there's no reason to continue to argue. So please don't post an angry "Meganium is God" rant at me.

Edit: I know that by the third gym it'll be a high enough level that typing almost won't matter, but moves will still matter because Meganium doesn't have the power to smash though everything with it's STABs.
    Secret butt fun!

Blog Entries

Also, Envoy, you're a Chikorita fanboy, I know and I respect the dedication you have. But in this situation it would be easier to use a different starter, which you've said, so there's no reason to continue to argue. So please don't post an angry "Meganium is God" rant at me.
    I'm not and I won't. I'm just pointing out a few thins :P

And yes, the easiest Starter to choose is, in fact, Totodile due to Chiko's lack of Gym advantages and Cynda's lack of any (non STAB) good level up moves. That said, if you know what you're doing, any of the three is good enough to beat the game with, which is my point.

The only reason I don't defend Cynda or Toto with the same fervor is because they don't need it. Both of them have enough support and no one is claiming they are useless. Chikorita, on the other hand, gets comments like this:

Quote Originally Posted by GoldeenTail View Post
    First of all, stay away form Chikorita. You'll have a hard time with most the gym leaders if you solo it. Heck, I'm not sure you'll pass Pryce.
    Which is why I defend her.

Oh, and I don't think Meganium is God. Not by far. I just get tired of people claiming she's useless, so I point out all of her positive qualities to prove the point erroneous. I can understand how I come off as a fanboy, but in reality, I'm quite aware of Meg's shortcommings too and I don't by any stretch of the immagination delude myself into thinking she should be OU or anything.
    Bellossom likes this.

Blog Entries

Oh, and I don't think Meganium is God. Not by far. I just get tired of people claiming she's useless, so I point out all of her positive qualities to prove the point erroneous. I can understand how I come off as a fanboy, but in reality, I'm quite aware of Meg's shortcommings too and I don't by any stretch of the immagination delude myself into thinking she should be OU or anything.
    Tiers are based on usage. You know what we should do? Get everyone on Bulbagarden to make and use an OU team with Meganium on Shoddy. It would be hilarious.
    Secret butt fun!

Blog Entries

Tiers are based on usage. You know what we should do? Get everyone on Bulbagarden to make and use an OU team with Meganium on Shoddy. It would be hilarious.
    It would be epic. If they can get Magikarp to the low twenties in Ubers usage, we can get Meganium to OU. God, I'd love to see the look on peoples faces.

"Meganium? OU? WTF?!?!?!"

Panne Cottontail Kakuna Matata's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Kakuna Matata on Tumblr

Totodile. Was my first Mon ever and has the coolest design out of the three. Will probably be the best choice to solo the game due to it using Ice moves and being a Water type. No (Johto) gym should give you any trouble.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast