Chesnaught vs Serperior

View Poll Results: Knight chestnut or royal snake?

Voters
44. You may not vote on this poll
  • Chesnaught

21 47.73%
  • Serperior

23 52.27%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Chesnaught vs Serperior

CANT LET YOU DO THAT !!! Startmirca's Avatar

Default Chesnaught vs Serperior

Both Chesnaught and Serperior are grass starters that have a "medieval europe" theme for their concepts. One is a knight, the other is european royalty.

Whose design do you prefer?

Who has the better pre-evolutions?

Who would win?

Who do you prefer?

Other Kalos vs Unova Starter matchups:

Delphox vs Emboar

Greninja vs Samurott
    Last edited by Startmirca; 3rd November 2013 at 10:44 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opossumguy View Post
    Skyla. She's from Unova, which has the most character development for gym leaders. Also, the huge cannons help. In fact, the whole gym design is great.

I just realized how you can take that wrong....

Blog Entries

Default Re: Chesnaught vs Serperior

Look at Chesnaught. It has a big, tough body with its arms spread wide in a threatening way, kind of reminiscent of Swampert's arms and Golem's body. This is definitely a powerful final evolution of a pokemon.

Look at Serperior. Its head and shoulders fancy dress kind of design (i don't know what to call it) is much less terrifying than Arbok's second face or Seviper's blade tail and red fangs. It looks like it's just the middle evolution of something. Also, look at Servine. It is more comparable to Charmander than it is to Charmeleon in terms of size, design, and apparent power.

Also, if you search the Contest Hall for my Arbok vs Serperior thread, you will discover that Serperior simply cannot deal as much damage as Arbok. It can use an annoyer set while Arbok can't, but being a better Jumpluff than Arbok doesn't make it better. It's unavoidably less powerful than the first gen snake, which further serves to reinforce my point that Serperior is no better than a middle evolution.

This does, amusingly, relate to reality. The nobility would in no way be able to overpower the knight if the knight were to decide to eliminate a bunch of people at the castle and take over. I wonder why this never happened...

Even at its very worst, Chesnaught is comparable to Poliwrath, who is still clearly a final evolution. Chesnaught wins this for me.

Serperior. Another one of the few feminine (I think it's more androgynous, but compared to the other starters it can come off as more feminine) designed starters and I just plain love snakes and snake-like creatures.

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Best design goes to Chesnaught. He has this spiky shell, he can turn his arms into a Spiky Shield, he has a cool hairy face and spiky arms. Serperior... is a nice looking snake.
    Better Pre evos goes to... Chesnaught again! Snivy looks snobby while Chespin is cute. Quilladin is awesome. Servine is OK.
    A fight could go 50/50. Serperior is the faster one but Chesnaught can endure its attacks. Serperior would not fare so well against Chesnaughts attacks though.
    I prefer Chesnaught. Game Over for Serperior.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

M-Blaziken, so much yes Shiny Blaze's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Visit Shiny Blaze's Youtube Channel

Not a fan of both. But... the Serperior line is one of my least favourite starter lines. Chesnaught's line is decent, so I'll go with Chesnaught.
    Shiny Blaze
    Owner of a Living Dex
    Owner of 80+ Shinies
    Obtained: 718 out of 719
    3DS Y FC: 0576-4616-1571

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Chesnaught. I don't like the air of superiority Serperior and its evolutionary line has, but Chesnaught is good for a Grass starter, IMO.
    Shiny Blaze likes this.

Blog Entries

Chesnaught. Serperior relies on physical moves, and Chesnaught has Spiky Shield.

It also looks cooler in all its evo stages.

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Chesnaught looks shit.

Serperior all the way.
    Your Name Please

Zeb
    five times in the mirror Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Serperior all the way for me. It's been my favourite Pokemon for a few years now. Every time I used one in Gen V it never let me down - even though it gets a lot of stick for useless I've never once I had a problem with it. I love its design too, it's pretty much perfect. Chesnaught is cool, but its design is a little too lanky for my tastes. Chesnaught is decent enough in game, but I've not found it to be as good as I expected, given it's got a good typing and quite a huge movepool (especially in comparison to Serperior's, er, rather shallow movepool, to put it nicely).

Voted Serperior!
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Serperior all day. I love the arrogance in it's look as well as it's 'superior' stance during battle. It's just the kind of Pokémon that would slaughter you without even so much as using a muscle.

Chesnaught on the other hand just kind of looks... Awkward. Like it's about to fall on it's face. Not a fan.
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

Electrifyingly Adorable Sakuraa's Avatar

I think I'll go with Chesnaught. I'll admit, when I first saw it I was kind of surprised (not in a good way). But its kind of grown on me. I've yet to use one in-game though.

I have used a Serperior in W2 and it was good, but appearance wise, I don't like it all that much. I guess my final choice is based entirely on line design. I like Chespin way more than Snivy because its so adorable. I don't care much for either Quilladin or Servine, but out of the two I guess I'd go with the former.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

First, let me preface this by saying that I absolutely love all the Grass Starters to death and Serperior/Chesnaught are no exception.

Right now though, I'm in a bit of a Chesnaught kick, so I may be biased at the moment.

While I do really like Serperior's design and concept, it's battle performance leaves something to be desired. Its movepool is shallow and its offensive stats are a joke. Its defenses aren't anything to write home about either. Only its Speed is worthy of note, and Sceptile does that better. Contrary Leaf Storm is the only reason why Serperior could ever be considered viable. Mind you, this is coming from a big Serperior fan. I choose her in almost every run I've done of Gen V and even raised a few competitive ones. I really do like this Pokemon, but looking at it from a more objective standpoint, it really fails to do much. Without Contrary Leaf Storm, the best thing it can hope to be is an annoyer or a Screen user (and frankly, I prefer Meganium for that.)

Chesnaught, on the other hand, feels like a well of untapped potential. Like Contrary, Bulletproof is a godsend for this Pokemon, letting it effortlessly brush off moves such as Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, and Sludge Bomb, among others. I've already seen it in action when it laughed in the face of a Gengar I faced once. Its movepool is interesting. In-game, it has a very varied movepool that all but ensures it stays relevant to your team (Rollout, Pin Missile, Leech Seed, Aerial Ace) but competitively, it sadly misses out on nearly all of the better Fighting type moves (Close Combat, Drain Punch, Superpower.) It has to rely on Hammer Arm or Power-Up Punch for Fighting STAB. It's Grass attacks fare better, and Spiky Shield is amazing in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, though. I fully believe that in the next game, when Tutors are likely to make a return, Chesnaught's movepool is gonna get what it needs. In-game, I enjoyed using Chesnaught slightly more so than I did Serperior, but not by much.

In terms of design, I love both, but I think Serperior edges out slightly ahead of Chesnaught. Chesny's sprite and artwork look awkward, honestly. I think fanart has done a much better job of representing it than official art has. Serpy looks cool regardless.

In terms of pre-evolutions, I prefer Snivy over Chespin, but that's because I've recently bred over 50 Chespin and I'm kind of tired of seeing its face. Quilladin and Servine, I don't care much for.

In the end, I'm voting for Chesnaught though. The thing that sealed the deal? Its Pokedex entry from X.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedex
    Its Tackle is forceful enough to flip a 50-ton tank. It shields its allies from danger with its own body.
    It becomes a human (Pokemon?) shield to protect its friends. How badass is that? In general, I like the whole "Shield" and "Knight" concept they have going on with Chesnaught more than the "Royalty" concept they did with Serperior. I think it was executed slightly better.

I still love them both, though.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

CANT LET YOU DO THAT !!! Startmirca's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Type Warrior View Post
    Chesnaught, on the other hand, feels like a well of untapped potential. Like Contrary, Bulletproof is a godsend for this Pokemon, letting it effortlessly brush off moves such as Aura Sphere, Shadow Ball, and Sludge Bomb, among others. I've already seen it in action when it laughed in the face of a Gengar I faced once. Its movepool is interesting. In-game, it has a very varied movepool that all but ensures it stays relevant to your team (Rollout, Pin Missile, Leech Seed, Aerial Ace) but competitively, it sadly misses out on nearly all of the better Fighting type moves (Close Combat, Drain Punch, Superpower.) It has to rely on Hammer Arm or Power-Up Punch for Fighting STAB. It's Grass attacks fare better, and Spiky Shield is amazing in tandem with Leech Seed and Leftovers, though. I fully believe that in the next game, when Tutors are likely to make a return, Chesnaught's movepool is gonna get what it needs. In-game, I enjoyed using Chesnaught slightly more so than I did Serperior, but not by much.

In terms of design, I love both, but I think Serperior edges out slightly ahead of Chesnaught. Chesny's sprite and artwork look awkward, honestly. I think fanart has done a much better job of representing it than official art has. Serpy looks cool regardless.

In terms of pre-evolutions, I prefer Snivy over Chespin, but that's because I've recently bred over 50 Chespin and I'm kind of tired of seeing its face. Quilladin and Servine, I don't care much for.

In the end, I'm voting for Chesnaught though. The thing that sealed the deal? Its Pokedex entry from X.

Quote Originally Posted by Pokedex
    Its Tackle is forceful enough to flip a 50-ton tank. It shields its allies from danger with its own body.
    It becomes a human (Pokemon?) shield to protect its friends. How badass is that? In general, I like the whole "Shield" and "Knight" concept they have going on with Chesnaught more than the "Royalty" concept they did with Serperior. I think it was executed slightly better.

I still love them both, though.
    1.Even though Chesnaught lacks those aformentioned Fighting-type moves, it doesn't suffer "Sceptile sindrome"(if it did, it would be having higher attack but its moveset is for special attackers), it's moveset compliments his dominant offensive stat unlike Sceptile. I still wish it had a way to increase it's speed because he is kind of slow.

2.Design-wise, Serperior wins, Chesnaught looks cool, but that coloring is awful, it's shiny form is much better it's not even funny.

Even though I like Serp better Ches, I still like both of them, even if Chesnaught's design is still hated on.

BTW, señor GTW, I am sorry if you see any typos in my post, typing on an IPad mini is a headdache.
    Grass Type Warrior likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Opossumguy View Post
    Skyla. She's from Unova, which has the most character development for gym leaders. Also, the huge cannons help. In fact, the whole gym design is great.

I just realized how you can take that wrong....

This choice pains my heart. I love both dearly. I think Serperior is the best Unova starter, and I love Chesnaught's strength and tankiness.

That said, I have a Serperior in both Gen V and Gen VI (thanks random Wonder Trader) so I'll go with Serperior. Sob.
    "I'm going to become a top-level Trainer who can't be outclassed with my beautiful and tough Bug Pokemon!"

Blog Entries

Chesnaught. Though I didn't like Quilladerpdin too much when it was revealed, it got a bit better after playing, and Chespin is alright, while Chesnaught is super epic. I really like his concept as much as the other Kalos starters, being a defense-based Knight. Grass/Fighting is not a new combination, but I don't care because it's still more interesting than single-typed starters, and fitting its concept perfectly. He has lots of options for moves, and a great hidden Ability. Not as good as Greninja's, but way better than Delphox's. It's also available, which makes a huge difference. I like how he looks and he's quite useful in-game overall. Though not my favorite among 6th Gen starters, he's easily my second favorite, and 3rd overall favorite Grass Starter, only below my top favorite ones.

I like Serperior design and its evolution family as well, but it's kind of an awful Starter in the same lines as Sceptile. Even then, much as I dislike it, Sceptile has much more options, and in modern Pokémon games it would fare way better than it did back in 3rd Gen, what with unlimited TMs and its improved level-up movepool (Even if the best ones need the Move re-learner, it's way better). Serperior has a terrible movepool in line with other Grass Types, but arguably much worse. I picked Snivy it in my White playthrough, and ended up replacing her with Lilligant, who was infinitely more useful with Sleep Powder, Quiver Dance, and Petal Dance + Own Tempo. Most of the time I expect Grass Starters to be at the very least as good as other wild Grass Pokémon, but most of the time better movepool-wise. Serperior just didn't provide. Besides its poor performance, Serperio also had that awkwardness shared among the 3 Unova Starters, with strange stats and overall not standing out. It was much worse in her case, however, because Emboar and Samurott have plenty of options by comparison. It was so bad that I ended up changing my favorite 5th Gen starter to Oshawott over time. Now, while Contrary is an awesome hidden Ability in tandem with Leaf Storm, Serperior just lacks options to even make good use of it beyond Hidden Power, and it isn't yet available anyway. The regal snake concept is cool, at least.

So yeah. I go with Chesnaught. Infinitely better in battles, much more helpful in the journey, and though Serperior has a good concept and personality to it, Chesnaught does that as well, and also isn't yet another single Grass Type starter.
    lol I got bored.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast