Charizard Vs. Volcarona

View Poll Results: Who do you like overall?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Charizard

10 34.48%
  • Volcarona

17 58.62%
  • Fire types are for noobs, Stealth Rock FTW

2 6.90%
Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Grass Type Warrior
  • 1 Post By Saiga
  • 2 Post By Infinity Mk-II

Thread: Charizard Vs. Volcarona

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Default Charizard Vs. Volcarona

What these two have in common is that both are Special-based Fire types who have the same speed and suffer from a 4x Weakness to Rock moves but have diverse movesets to choose from. Here you will anwser the following questions:

Who has the better design?
    Who is more useful in battle?
    Who will win in a fight?

Best 2 out of 3 wins your vote and will determine who is the best Fire type and the worst Fire type, but you're one of those players who hate Fire types and want them gone for good because of your love for Stealth Rock and the most dominant types (Water, Fighting, Steel, Ground, and Dragon), then there's always the third option.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Charizard Vs. Volcarona

If Charizard was trained for speed and used rock slide, Volcarona would be defeated. Since Volcarona is good with sp. def, Charizard would have to resort to physical. That's why I choose rock slide.
    After, my explanation I choose Charizard.
    Better design: Volcarona
    Most useful: Volcarona for having light screen and other defense moves to support it's team
    Win: Charizard

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by elec-boy View Post
    If Charizard was trained for speed and used rock slide, Volcarona would be defeated. Since Volcarona is good with sp. def, Charizard would have to resort to physical. That's why I choose rock slide.
    Or it could use Dragon Dance to catch up with Volcarona's speed boost Quiver Dance, as well as increase its physical side to use Rock Slide.

Formerly GTT Grass Type Warrior's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Volcarona wins hands down. I actually tried them both on my sun teams in PO and while I really tried to make Charizard work, he just lacked either speed (if I went with Life Orb) or power (if I went with Choice Scarf) to do much of anything. Add to that his almost non-existent bulk and I just couldn't get him to work.

Volcarona on the other hand, has worked magnificently for me all the damn time. I can think of maybe one battle I had with it where it didn't get to do much (and that's because I got out-predicted.) Volca's bulky, the sunlight compliments its healing move, it has a way to boost its offenses, defenses and speed all at once, it plays well in both rain and sun, it fits into non-weather teams. There's just too many good things to say about Volcarona.

While I do think that Charizard would have the upper hand in a battle between the two, on the general usefulness front, Volcarona is clearly superior.
    Reila likes this.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Who has the better design?

That would be Volcarona, for me. I love his design.

Who is more useful in battle?

Once again, Volcarona. It has been really helpful both in-game and competitively.

Who will win in a fight?

Barring Hidden Power, I've got to give this to Charizard. He resists both of Volcarona's STAB and has SE Stab as a flying-type.

The overall winner is Volcarona.
    Reila likes this.

Starters of choice.
    Claimed Volcarona on 03/04/12.

Registered User Lord Clowncrete's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Volcarona anyday. I dislike Charishart Charizard. I love using Volcy in my sun teams and it also a better battler.

I also prefer Volcy's design. A bug spreading fire through it's wings and turning the entire field into a fire? yes please!!
    Last edited by Lord Clowncrete; 16th August 2012 at 06:07 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Takaki View Post
    @Pikmin1211; Pokemon Online has options for all but rotation battles. None of those you listed are competitive metagames though except Cresselia championships... I mean VGC.

Who has the better design? Volcarona is cool for a Bug type so gets the win here (Charizard is over rated and annoying).
    Who is more useful in battle? Volcarona. I don't even need to explain here.
    Who will win in a fight? Both have a 50/50 chance of winning because they have the same speed and can one hit kill each other with Rock Slide and Hidden Power Rock.
    Volcarona wins here.

maglev maglev's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Charizard - The original bad ass fire type. I still think he is cool, even with the newer fire types. He may not be so great competitively, thank you stealth rock, but I think he has his uses competitively
    maglev is invisible

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

I like Charizard's design more than Volcarona. I just love the dragon-vibe in its design and it's still one of the coolest Fire types to me. Though, I think that Volcarona is more useful in battle since it has a better movepool and stat boosting moves to make it stand up against most opponents. I think that Charizard would win if they battled since it resists most of Volcarona's moves while it can cause some significant damage with its Flying type moves. For me, I'd choose Charizard overall, but I do give Volcarona credit for being an awesome Fire/Bug type.

From Leyend to Myth Infinity Mk-II's Avatar
    Blog Entries

What might as well be my favorite pokémon, vs rock type fodder oh wait

In all seriousness, Volcarona for me.
    The movepool, the stats, and generally its gameplay style makes it not just very useful, but also you can easily fit it in virtually any team. It's a very dependable pokémon, that you can pit it on its own or coordinate it with teammates.

In design? In one hand we have a fire elemental in the shape of a dragon. Which is admittedly cool... but then we have a solar moth with plenty of original lore behind its back inspired by cultures praising the sun... that well, is a moth/butterfly, it IS pretty.

Charizard would win the battle, though.
    Grass Type Warrior and Reila like this.

[/overexposition]

Blog Entries

Both have awesome designs, but battle-wise, Volcarona's is by far better than Charizard.
    Also, the moth isn't the most overrated thing in the existence like the lizard.

Charizard's fanbase is so annoying to the point that they made a lot of people dislike it. Me included.
    That being said, I must vote on Volcarona, because it is also a Bug-Type, one of my favorites.

Voted last option because I don't like them both. Also Stealth Rock!
    They will make pigs of you all and they will bury their snouts into your ribs and they will eat your hearts.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Volcarona is by far better than Charizard. And it has really neat Abilities.