Battle of the Turtles!

View Poll Results: Favorite Turtle Pokémon?

Voters
72. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blastoise

32 44.44%
  • Torkoal

13 18.06%
  • Torterra

18 25.00%
  • Carracosta

9 12.50%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Battle of the Turtles!

Blog Entries

Default Battle of the Turtles!

I looked around for this and didn't find it. I wanted to make this showdown for a while too, so let's get on with it.

VS VS VS
    Blastoise VS Torkoal VS Torterra VS Abagoura

It's a shell showdown between the 4 fully evolved Turtle Pokémon! As hardened monsters, they all have some things in common. All of them have high Defense and low Speed. Then we have plenty of differences. Starting with Type, we have Water, Fire, Grass/Ground, and Water/Rock. Then we have that Blastoise is overall well-balanced, and is the fastest of all. Torkoal only has astounding Defense and decent offensives, as well as the most pitiful Speed. Torterra and Abagoura are both focused on the Physical side, boasting great Defense and Attack, but not too big on the Special side.

I really like turtles, so these are personal favorites as well. As usual, we have the typical questions:

Who has the best design?
    Who's better in battle?
    Who would win a battle between them?
    Who's your favorite?

As I like all of them, it's hard to pick. All have great designs and as turtle Pokémon, I'm inclined to like them all. Blastoise and Torterra are my Starters of choice in their respective Generations as well. I really like how they all take after different turtle kinds.

In terms of battle uses, the four are pretty tough Pokémon. Blastoise is overall best due to his balance and Type, which has no 4x weaknesses and isn't too crippled by stuff as Stealth Rock. In addition, he's the turtle with the highest Special Defense, and still boasting great Defense, so he's the best Tank among them, as the others are better as Walls. He also has great support options such as Haze and Rapid Spin. He also got the better Dream World Ability in Rain Dish, and has the capabilities of using Torrent as well.

The others don't fall behind, though. Torterra packs a punch with Wood Hammer and Earthquake STAB, and recovery in Synthesis. He's also the only one with access to Rock Polish and Swords Dance from TMs, minimizing his shortcomings and enhancing his astounding power. He also gets Curse, which is great on him. Unfortunately, Torterra didn't get a Dream World Ability as great as Blastoise's, and has a hard time using Overgrow due to the pesky 4x weakness to Ice.

Abagoura has huge Defense and Attack, as well as very interesting moves like Shell Smash, and is also the only one of them capable of Knock Off, and plenty of powerful Moves to put him at an advantage. He has amazing Abilities in Solid Rock, Sturdy and Swift Swim, so he's a Pokémon with astounding potential.

Torkoal is probably the least useful due to the Fire Type, but can still take physical hits really well, and has plenty of Stat up Moves, including the aforementioned Shell Smash, unlike both Blastoise and Torterra. It's also an excellent Curse user due to its already low Speed and its great Physical Movepool. Yawn and Eruption are great assets shared by few Pokémon of his Type. he's a bit let down in terms of Abilities, though White Smoke protects him from intimidate, which is great for Cursecoal.

In a battle between the four, Blastoise has the edge due to his Speed. Ice Beam owns Torterra, while Surf deals with Torkoal. Abagoura is the most troublesome, as neither Hidden Power Grass nor any of his Fighting Moves would do too much with Solid Rock, while Abagoura has high offensives to deal huge damage. Of course, the neutrality against Surf also gives Blastoise great chances. With a Rock Polish, however, Torterra has the edge to run over all of them, as his Wood Hammer and Earthquake deal with the three of them. Abagoura has good chances like Blastoise, only let down by his low Speed, so he's got a harder chance against Torterra unless he increases his Speed. Torkoal is at a loss, as only Torterra is weak against him, but he's too slow to attack any of them before he gets attacked. He's basically hopeless against Blastoise and Abagoura too.

As much as I like all of them, I'll go with Abagoura. I am amazed with his design, more so than Blastoise's (Who was originally my top favorite Pokémon before Bellossom, and my top favorite Starter before Torterra), even if his Type combination ain't the best. He also has so many options, I kinda want to try them all. Torterra is a close second, due to having an awesome Type I always wanted to see on a Pokémon, as well as having such astounding power and epic design. Blastoise comes third, as he's still a great memory of my early days of Pokémon, and he's still a great Pokémon in every way. At the end we have Torkoal, who, despite having great design and not too bad performance, just falls short against the other turtles in most aspects. He's the only one of the four I haven't used/intend to use, though I would like to try giving him a chance in the future.

So who's your hard-shielded turtle choice? Post away!

"I'm sure that we and Pokémon have helped each other and enriched the world since ancient times. These memories have been engraved in each Pokémon's heart! So, I want Pokémon and people to get closer and closer! As the Champion, I want to tell that to everybody!"

Onduru ruragittan disukaa Garren's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Battle of the Turtles!

Well, design wise, Torterra's whole line are probably my favorite Starters in the entire series, so I'll have to say they win for me. Torkoal also is another one I really like, in part because of the crybaby one in the show. Blastoise is alright, as is Abagoura, but neither one of them I would say are my favorites.
    Yu-Gi-Oh!
    Duel Monsters Sengoku!

An original Yu-Gi-Oh Fanfic! Join Yuto Masamune and his Imperial Monster Patch-Eye Dragon as they take on Sengoku Academy!

Current Chapter -Turn 2: One-Eyed Duelist, One-Eyed Dragon! Impress Summon, [Patch-Eye Dragon]!

Yuto continues his Duel against Shisa, a delinquent who calls himself a "Chain Duelist!". Just then, as Shisa's strong offense and defense overwhelms Yuto, a new type of summon occurs!

Blog Entries
    Follow SharKing On Twitter
    Visit SharKing's Youtube Channel

I think the first post is way too long Blastoise wins for me. It evolves from what used to be my top favorite, Wartortle. Abagoora's second-place.
    This post brought to you by
    SharKing Productions

If you want to battle me, trade with me, or use my Friend Safari in X/Y, my FC is 1220 7381 3516.

I'm not just on BMGf. Check me out on:
    YouTube | Twitter | Smogon Forums | Marriland Forums

Not a Power Ranger Ranger Jack Walker's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Visit Ranger Jack Walker's Youtube Channel

Torkoal, though he is quite obviously, the worst of the 4.

Torkoal personally, believe it or not.

Blog Entries

Torterra all the way. It could take out the other 3, and its always been my favorite Grass Type.

Torterra. It would win ina battle, although I pick blastoise by design.

In the end, I went for Torterra. Random mountains and huge tree for no purpose other than design ftw

Blastoise. It is freaking awesome and kicks butt. Besides, if it went up against Torterra, it could use Ice Beam or something.
    Croconaw is officially claimed!

Quote Originally Posted by Time
    Did Ghastly come from a fart, or something? And why is it poisonous?

Welcome to the New Age... yourlilemogirl's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow yourlilemogirl On Twitter
    Visit yourlilemogirl's Youtube Channel

Torkoal.

give him Curse/Amnesia/Gryo Ball/(EQ or Flamethrower) added to his White Smoke ability, and he's beastly! :D

Click to see my Trade Want/Offering Thread(:

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Torterra. STAB E-Q. Win.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Blog Entries

Well, I've trained all of them, with the exception of Abagoura (I don't have BW yet) and I can honestly say I like them all.

Abagoura's design is the one I like the least. It just looks awkward to me. I can't talk about his battle performance as I haven't trained one yet so for now, I'll have to base my decision mostly on aesthetics. I don't like his type combo much either. Kabutops uses it better and even then, only in rain. Water and Rock don't compliment each other at all. All they get out of that combination is a neutrallity to Water and Steel Attacks. The trade off is a 4x weakness to Grass, a weakness to Electric, one to Fighting and one to Ground. I just don't like it. I don't know Abagoura's movoepool either so I can't judge based on that.

Torkoal is actually one of my favorite Fire types. Which is to say, one of the very few (six) Fire types I actually like. It's my least favorite of the six (you can't really compete with Houndoom, Ninetales, Blaziken, Arcanine and Typhlosion though) but I still love it and find it sad that it's so underappreciated. Torkoal is a pretty bad Pokemon though. Fire is a horrible defensive type, being a Rapid Spinner that's weak to Stealth Rock is an oxymoron at best and it doesn't have the HP to work with that awesome Defense. To top that, it's offensive stats are pure crap, which seriously gimps Eruption (too slow to attack before taking damage and not strong enough for it to matter). It's a decent support Pokemon with Yawn and Rapid Spin, but Blastoise and other Pokemon use both moves better. It's a shame, I really like Torkoal.

Torterra and Blastoise are a very difficult choice. As a fan of (non-Fire, as a rule) Starters, I really love both. Blastoise is my favorite Water Starter (followed by Feraligatr and Empoleon) and Torterra is just plain awesome. I'm having a really difficult time choosing.

In the end, I'm going to say Torterra's number two. He has excellent stats with a movepool that compliments it. He's a Grass type, which automatically gains cool points in my book, with access to STAB Earthquake. He can use Leech Seed and he can Synthesis for healing, and with access to Wood Hammer and Seed Bomb (along with Swords Dance and that delicious Atk stat), who needs Sp. Attack? Furthermore, and here's the kicker, Rock Polish fixes his only bad stat, speed. With one Rock Polish, he's a speed demon that hits like a mother fucking truck and has great coverage to boot. I really like Torterra.

But in the end, I'm going with Blastoise. I'll be honest, I let my nostalgia decide here. Otherwise, it would have been a draw and the poll only lets me choose one option. Blastoise is arguably the bulkiest of the four (he has decent HP and great stats on both defenses, as opposed to the other three), he's got decent offensive capabilities on both sides of the spectrum, the least weaknesses, access to devastating moves like Surf, Hydro Pump and Boiling Water (Abagoura can't use them because of it's subpar Sp. Atk), a great support movepool in the form of Rapid Spin, Toxic and Yawn, access to Ice Beam for those pesky Grass types (like Torterra, who falls 100% of the time since it won't have a chance to Polish up) and a really badass design. I mean, he's got freaking CANNONS on his shell. Blastoise wins it for me, definitely.
    SoulSilver FC: 1334-2716-6164
    Platinum FC: 1591-7683-8872

Blog Entries

What about Shuckle?

Anyways, I pick blastoise, all around better imo.

Blog Entries
    Follow GoldeenTail On Twitter Add GoldeenTail on MySpace
    Follow GoldeenTail on Tumblr

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles! Heroes in a half shell, turtle power!

Blastoise.

WOW TRANSFORMERS IS A DUMB SERIES LOL. GT GROW THE FUCK UP.
    Tumblr / My eggs /My blog / deviantart

Blog Entries

Blastoise has cannons in his shell! Cant get more awesome than that!!! I VOTE BLASTOISE unless the cannons shoot fire instead of water

Going to the Ceremony Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

The sad truth is, I don't particularly like any of them. My distaste for slow, bulky Pokemon probably plays a factor, but I also don't like any of their designs all that much.

That said... I'm going to go with Blastoise. It was the original turtle, I like the concept of cannons within its shell, and I've always liked Squirtle (well, the original design) and Wartortle.
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast