Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Before I get started on the shout-outs, let me clarify my world-building technique. I tend to mix and match elements from many different Pokémon canons to create a larger, more complete world. Here are some examples:

The Games:
    • Basic Pokémon world history and mythology
    • Main plot, used as backstory
    • Canon characters
    • Pokémon Storage System

The Anime:
    • Locations, including the Orange and Decolore Archipelagos
    • Trading machines
    • League Tournaments
    • Additional gyms/badges
    • Elements present in Yellow Version

Various Manga:
    • Locations
    • Government/law
    • Burst technique

Now that that's understood, I'll get on with the topic. The in-Pokémon-universe shout-outs in my as-yet-unreleased works tend to be directed at things that don't make the final cut, like:
    • The plots of the anime and various manga (referenced as works of fiction)
    • The Time Capsule (referenced as an experiment that was scrapped because, for some reason, it reacted poorly to Johto-native Pokémon)

And I do use out-of-universe references as well; my characters will reference popular books, movies, games and musicians from time to time. For example:
    • In the old Knight Pokémon University RPG, I justified my character Colin Sonan's alias "Twilight" by saying he stole it off the cover of a book he never actually read (and I haven't either, for the record ).
    • In the same game, several parts of my other characters' backstories were inspired by music from Little Shop of Horrors, and it shows—up to and including Joanie Aimes having a talking, singing Bellsprout named Audrey II.
    • Joanie was also eventually supposed to catch a Poochyena and name it Ubu (cookie to anyone who gets it!).
    • More recently, a Porygon-Z belonging to my character Annie Jameson was noted to have the unit number 24601-327-1138, the first number being a reference to Les Misérables, the second a reference to Star Wars, and the third a reference to THX 1138.

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Pokè Wars: Downfall of a Champion has the "Grotle" armored caryo truck.

The original design was a halftrack type vehicle inspired by the vehicle that The Trio used when they invaded Chargestone Cave.

The current design is a 6x6 design inspired by the US Army's Stryker vehicle. The armor it uses is directly inspired by the improvised armor that Colorado dude used on his bulldozer.
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

Follow クリスタル On Twitter

My reference in my fanfic are all from Japanese stuffs, specifically the action-heavy manga, anime and games. Especially the battle scenes, I draw a lot of inspirations from how it was shown in them. I personally really dislike the official Pokemon anime's way of portraying attacks, it is just so "powerless", "speediless", uninteresting, unable to create a thrilling feeling in the eyes of me as an audience. In my fic, I just repicture the battle scenes of Pokemon in the battle style such as Super Robots Wars, Gundam animes, Digimon, Tales of series, Zoids, Dragonballs, Naruto, Sword Art Online, Magi, etc et cetera, then try my best to reiterate such scenes in words.

For example, the Gallade possessed by Leigh, one of the main cast OC in my fic, he can used an original move where I title as "Sword Waltz", where it is combination of Teleport, Fury Cutter and Double Team. Gallade create several illusions of himself to distract the opponent, at the same time Teleport continuously in order to move around in super short time count in milliseconds, and slice the opponent using Fury Cutter. This move was actually referenced from the game Super Robots Wars, the way of fighting of Soulgain piloted by Axel Almar.

Then the Lucario possessed by Atsusi, the protagonist OC of my fic, he can uses a special move I named as "Aura Flare", which is a super power-up version of Aura Sphere. Lucario hold both of his arm up and charge the Aura Sphere up to such size of 2~3 times of his own body size. I actually had this move inspired from Dragonball Goku's Energy Sphere.

Also the Pikachu possessed also by Atsusi, he uses the move Magnet Rise in a very special way: Concentrate the anti-gravity electromagnetic force about its limbs, then it can theoretically work like the magnetic levitated train, where the movement friction is reduced to zero, hence moving acceleration can be boosted to maximum. This was actually referenced from a villain featured in the manga Magi: the labyrinth of magic.

In my fic, I portray the battle abilities of Pokemon and their power in much more exaggerated ways than the official Pokemon anime and games, such that they look "cooler" if ever pictured on actual scenes. Yeah, so when one reads the battles in my fic, they never feels like they are really reading a Pokemon battle, because it just so much different from how the official anime, games, nor any Pokemon manga way and style of portraying.

But however, oppositely I draw very little to almost no reference for characters interactions. Because my main casts are all Original Characters, so I don't feel like reference them to any sort of specific existing characters. I wanted them to be a character that stand as an individual on their own. Though, when the time I designed my OC, I do received inspirations from many different characters, where the inspiration sources are quite a lot that my OC feels like a blend of them, but yet doesn't feel like any one of them.
    "人には知らない世界はそこに存在する、そして人には知らない冒険はそこ に始まってる"
    Chapter 1: 謎の世界の生き物、闘うトレーナーたち
    MY PROFILE | AUTHOR'S PROFILE | PIXIV PROFILE

Blog Entries

I have a lot. There are a lot of references to real-life celebrities and songs. I have one where two characters sing "Everybody Have Fun Tonight" by Wang Chung. Another fanfic features Whitney accidentally ripping out a woman's toenail like SpongeBob did to Squidward. There's a line in my Marlon fanfic where Hugh tells Marlon he can get "a mansion and a yacht and two white women" - a line right out of The Boondocks. It also has a woman with a Purrloin named Lucifer - a reference to the stepmother's cat in Disney's Cinderella. (Even funnier, said character's surname is Tomlinson...and she was created a few weeks before I began knowing a lot about 1D!)

One in-joke I have is that Marlon's last name is never revealed (like Arnold's on Hey Arnold!), and his ethnicity is left ambiguous. It's a reference to his weird tan.

I also have a character named Briar Rose - a reference to the fairy tale Sleeping Beauty. She doesn't use Rose, though - just Briar.
    Last edited by Toutebelle; 12th September 2013 at 08:47 PM.
    DO YOU RENOUNCE ICE CUBE AND ALL HIS WORKS INCLUDING FRIDAY? - Winston Jerome

My character mentions reading Harry Potter and the Order of the Ho-Oh, and she's particularly interested in seeing if Ron Sneasly ever gets the girl, but I ended up letting that pun die off after I couldn't think of anything more creative than Seviperus Snape.

Later on, when we get to Violet City, I get to introduce Falkner, who speaks incoherently and basically just quotes As I Lay Dying because Faulkner geddit no okay never mind

Blog Entries

One of my OCs is a fan of He-Man and she names her Pokemon after He-Man and She-Ra characters.

Some of my other Pokemon nicknames are references. One chapter of my journey fic has two Floette (white and red) named Snow White and Rose Red - after one of the fairy tales by the Brothers Grimm. In the same fic, Calem names his Froakie Naveen after Naveen from The Princess and the Frog.

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I've definitely referenced Starcraft and various songs in my dialogue. I also feel like I have at some point referenced Lord of the Rings and Calvin & Hobbes, but I can't remember specifically.

Also, my main character nicknames almost all of his Pokemon after the Gen I PokeGods.

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

I'm writing a fic (that I won't post until I'm relatively ahead with it) and one of the characters makes a lot of references to music. The characters are teenagers so it only makes sense. Sometimes they reference bands I make up using pokémon-based names, sometimes they reference real bands. When they talk about songs, sometimes I'll use real song titles, or pokemon titles inspired by real ones. I have no idea if anyone will get it but it's fun.

My villain, a Leafeon, comes dangerously close to quoting Demon Lord Ghirahim from Zelda skyward sword in his first chapter. And that wasn't even deliberate. Although admittedly, I was listening to Ghirahim's theme while writing that chapter, so I only really have myself to blame. Oh well.

I'm probably going to fix this in the final version of the story, but still, it was there originally.
    Last edited by Lord Kyuubi; 27th February 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Blog Entries

I will, on occasion, throw out a Transformers ref. Mostly, I pitch out Furmanisms; I have used "a short, sharp lesson" and "die screaming" more than once.

Yes, I is a dork.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Blog Entries

My official biography for one of my OCs said that he made a movie called Myna Blankenship (a reference to Myra Breckinridge) and that the film featured Siebold as a ghetto white guy - in a reference to Carmen Electra playing a wigger in Dirty Love.

Right now I've got a reference to Moon's Spawn, from the Malazan Book of the Fallen (Mt Moon's Peak, home base of Silph the Psychic) and there's an A Song of Ice and Fire reference in "the old and new PokeGods." My idea for Blackthorn City makes it a shout-out to Michael Moorcock's Melniboneans: a city full of amoral hedonists that became a major power in Kanto and Johto due solely to their dragons.

Blog Entries

Follow Ahnyo on Tumblr Visit Ahnyo's Youtube Channel

In my outline of Legendary Genesis, I've occasionally used lines from some of my favorite songs as chapter titles. The chapter where Manectric's Academy, which is widely believed to be a thieves' guild, is introduced will be named "Gnashing Teeth and Criminal Tongues" (taken from Panic! at the Disco's 'This Is Gospel'), and I also plan on calling a chapter dealing with the protagonist's social anxiety "Fill the Silence" (from Bastille's 'The Silence').

In Plasma's Folly, I referenced a story I wrote in third grade by naming one of the main character's parents after the protagonists.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12