Before I get started on the shout-outs, let me clarify my world-building technique. I tend to mix and match elements from many different Pokémon canons to create a larger, more complete world. Here are some examples:
- Basic Pokémon world history and mythology
- Main plot, used as backstory
- Canon characters
- Pokémon Storage System
- Locations, including the Orange and Decolore Archipelagos
- Trading machines
- League Tournaments
- Additional gyms/badges
- Elements present in Yellow Version
- Burst technique
Now that that's understood, I'll get on with the topic. The in-Pokémon-universe shout-outs in my as-yet-unreleased works tend to be directed at things that don't make the final cut, like:
- The plots of the anime and various manga (referenced as works of fiction)
- The Time Capsule (referenced as an experiment that was scrapped because, for some reason, it reacted poorly to Johto-native Pokémon)
And I do use out-of-universe references as well; my characters will reference popular books, movies, games and musicians from time to time. For example:
- In the old Knight Pokémon University RPG, I justified my character Colin Sonan's alias "Twilight" by saying he stole it off the cover of a book he never actually read (and I haven't either, for the record ).
- In the same game, several parts of my other characters' backstories were inspired by music from Little Shop of Horrors, and it shows—up to and including Joanie Aimes having a talking, singing Bellsprout named Audrey II.
- Joanie was also eventually supposed to catch a Poochyena and name it Ubu (cookie to anyone who gets it!).
- More recently, a Porygon-Z belonging to my character Annie Jameson was noted to have the unit number 24601-327-1138, the first number being a reference to Les Misérables, the second a reference to Star Wars, and the third a reference to THX 1138.