Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Default Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

Meaning a reference or nod to something else that inspired your fanfiction (or just something that inspires you in general). What kinds of references do you manage to work in to your writing, to what and why?

For example, when I participated in Nanowrimo in 2009 I tossed in a few arbitrary Naruto references here and there just because. You probably wouldn't spot them unless you knew what to be looking for, but:

1 - Smeargles are known for painting the pawprint on each others' backs as a social measure, right? One character in my 2010 setting was a Smeargle wose pawprint mark has several slashes painted across it -- a sign of being exiled from his clan. (In Naruto, renegade ninja have their identifying metal headband slashed out.)
    2 - Another character was a Ninjask who fought almost exclusively by using the Shedinja like a remote puppet. (Not unlike a certain Naruto sand ninja, Kankuro...)

In my 2012 Nanowrimo, there were isolated references to Pokemon Conquest (a Zoroark named "Kotaro"), Pokemon Ranger (details of which are a spoiler), Doctor Who (Shedinja only move when you're not looking at them), even The Lion King (an exiled female Luxray named "Zira"), and probably a few more I can't name off the top of my head.

So any of yours that you'd like to share?
    Last edited by Stratelier; 6th September 2013 at 10:20 AM.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"
    (No wonder Pokemon nicknames are so difficult to think up.)

Vivillon Color: High Plains
    Friend Safari: Fighting (Meditite, Throh, Tyrogue), 4296-3230-7210

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

The anime Senki Zesshou Symphogear (and its sequel) has inspired me a lot--the incantations that keep appearing again and again in my work (eg. "Jao wiisha nes chiel com yutuul..."and "Karuto, iichiida shou...") are what the main characters use to transform. So I took that idea and translated it to a more fantastic arena--instead of turning into mecha superheroes, the incantations cast actual magic or invoke a magical girl-esque transformation.
    Last edited by LightningTopaz; 1st September 2013 at 09:13 PM.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Your Shout-Outs: Allusions, references, and in-jokes in Pokemon fanfiction

I've made references to Avatar: The Last Airbender and lots of Disney. lol

I also have a few references to Law & Order: Special Victims Unit, my favorite live action TV show. Namely in character names though. I have characters named after much of the main cast (from season 12 and before that is. I like the newer seasons too, but I named these characters before they came out).

Some of my plot aspects are inspired by SVU too.

Blog Entries

I've also made made humorous references to the Pokeworld itself, Pokemonized many folktales from our world, and made a few Zelda, Disney and general RPG references as well.

Not to mention Digimon is a gold mine for spell ideas!

Blog Entries

I intended to develop one of my characters, Jack Reiserben, after Jack Bauer from 24. Just this batshit insane cop who doesn't do things by the book, a means-to-and-end guy who completely goes off the deep end, but for the greater good, later on in the story. Even his dead wife shares the same name with Jack Bauer's.

I'm not sure if I'll get around to finishing that though.

My real father lost his head at King's Landing. I made a choice, and I chose wrong. ~ Theon Greyjoy

Blog Entries

I make a reference to Arsene Lupin The Third and Daisuke Jigen in my BW fic as the two goofy yet formidable Pokemon Hunters, Mason L. Parker and Fargo T. Rider.

Conformity is Overrated. Phoenix502's Avatar

Visit Phoenix502's Youtube Channel

one recurring element I intend to include is that my story will feature actual movies being watched by the main characters, typically ones that are action packed and high in acrobatics and martial arts [(such as the Matrix) and often tries to mimic some of the more practical examples, which frequently carries over to his fighting type Pokemon]. he's a bit of a movie buff as much as he is a Trainer, [explaining his occasional genre savvy moments]. perhaps to handwave the lack of firearms in the world as being impractical when there are Psychic Pokemon that can interfere with the firing mechanism, and Fire types make such a concept too dangerous to bother with... [for most...]

Blog Entries

Life of the Legendaries has a lot of Tuckerizations.

Here's the list:

Kumo class battleship
    Zeukrom Industries
    Captain Katie S. Rowling
    Ensign Guy Ruog
    Captain Jacqueline Palazzo
    Captain Drake On
    Captain Jake Yarta
    Ensign Drake Cornova
    Ensign Daniel Ernston
    Zorroark class aircraft carrier
    Captain Ryan Takeshi
    Mijizel class attack submarine
    Captain Tara Willow

There's also references to Zekurom's fic Generation 2021, Gantz, David Bowie's "Space Oddity", The Beatle's "Eggman", Indiana Jones, an old RP I played called The Spreading Hazard, Metroid, Smash Brothers, Metal Gear Solid, Temeraire series by Naomi Novik, the Pokèmon fansite Veekun and a bunch of stuff I can't remember.

The cyberpunk city is based off Hong Kong, Gotham from Batman Beyond and Los Angeles from Blade Runner
    What are the Legendaries really like? Find out in The Life of the Legendaries

Humans and pokémon no longer live in harmony. Hear their tales in The Poké Wars Chronicles: Tales From A World At War

Cynthia once had it all: powerful pokémon, fame and hordes of adoring fans. But Ho-oh's campaign tears her life asunder. Now to survive this deadly new world, she must do the one thing that she never wanted: kill. Follow her trials through a world at war in Poké Wars: Downfall of a Champion

East Unova Resident SuperTrainStationH's Avatar
    Blog Entries

They'll eventually be an episode of my current serial fic concerning a group of wild dragonair. I plan to reference Henry Zao's textbook. :P

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Caitlin View Post
    I intended to develop one of my characters, Jack Reiserben, after Jack Bauer from 24. Just this batshit insane cop who doesn't do things by the book, a means-to-and-end guy who completely goes off the deep end, but for the greater good, later on in the story. Even his dead wife shares the same name with Jack Bauer's.

I'm not sure if I'll get around to finishing that though.
    I hope you do, I enjoyed reading Storm Island

Never alone <3 Elphie jasonwolf's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I'm writing a fanfic right now just filled with DnD references, but it is somewhat more of a tribute to old tabletops at times.

After reading through my old Nanowrimo, I just realized there are even more arbitrary Naruto references than I'd thought. I seem to have missed this one:

- The Smeargle character is played a bit like Kakashi from early Naruto episodes: Knowledgeable, aloof, rarely participates in direct combat, but when he does, he can mimic or mirror any of his opponent's techniques (Mirror Move), sometimes even faster than they can execute it themselves (Me First). He also has an over-the-top tendency to call out the name of a technique (and often to the exact format of "<Type> style ... <move> attack!")

One character also had a Gyarados named Jiraiya. Why? Because it sounds similar in pronunciation, no other reason.
    "What?! You want me to nickname someone I just met?! You shouldn't put people on the spot like this!"

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Oh yeah, I forgot, I also put a reference to Fire Emblem: Awakening in the chapter of Super Luigi that I'm working on. I referenced one of my favorite critical hit quotes from the game.

I also plan to reference another favorite critical hit quote in a future chapter of Zelda: The Ancient Power.

Oh yes, this one you probably won't spot by yourself, but in Chapter 2 of my current Pokemon fic a Zubat complains about "dodging lightning bolts", with a reference to a "Team Venus" and their sigil.

This was a quick shout-out to Final Fantasy X, where if you could dodge 200 consecutive lightning strikes on the Thunder Plains you got a rare item called the Venus Sigil.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Oh yes, this one you probably won't spot by yourself, but in Chapter 2 of my current Pokemon fic a Zubat complains about "dodging lightning bolts", with a reference to a "Team Venus" and their sigil.

This was a quick shout-out to Final Fantasy X, where if you could dodge 200 consecutive lightning strikes on the Thunder Plains you got a rare item called the Venus Sigil.
    I forget which character got that sigil--I THINK it was Lulu (correct me if I'm wrong)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast