Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 87

Page 87 of 400 FirstFirst ... 3777858687888997137187 ... LastLast
Results 1,291 to 1,305 of 5990
Like Tree760Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

I have had multiple episodes that have written themselves, but one of my first ones stands out in my mind.

It was late at night one weekend, and I was working on the fifteenth episode of my first fic (some of you might remember "The Heart of the Cards: A Pokemon TCG Adventure") I was wanting Brock to have a crazy romantic moment, but none of what I brainstormed was working.

As is my custom even today, I had the radio on, which was tuned to the oldies station. At this time of night, a block of 50's rock and roll was on, and just before I called it a night, the song "Personality" came on. (hear the song)

I heard the lyrics and thought That sounds like something Brock would sing!

The rest of the episode wrote itself--I had Brock do an elaborate song and tap dance routine for Officer Jenny and Nurse Joy to an "extended" version of that song, complete with an epic chorus line. I then had Team Rocket sneak into the chorus line to make it even more over the top.

That episode is one of my favorite fic episodes I have ever written
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Yup. Generally, when starting a new fic, it tends to write itself for the first chapter, and occasionally a few afterward.

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

yeah, it happens mostly when you're starting a new fan-fiction. like with the devil's gift i wrote the first two chapters up with no problem but it got harder as i went along xD.

I find everything to come with a flow, so long as I actually manage to sit down, throw off any distractions. I suck at doing that, but when I do, I easily write 3-6 thousand words in a day, doesn't matter where, doesn't matter when.

Today I've been quite busy reading up on disorders relating to androgynism and hermaphroditism - most specifically, androgen insensitivity disorder. For those curious as to what it is:
    Why I would read about something like that? Heh, I like knowledge. Could spend an entire year just reading and reading about stuff. That, and it's related to some original writing I'll be doing, which deals with gender issues.
    Last edited by TheLlama; 19th May 2012 at 09:00 PM.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    Hm. I'm a psion in the one campaign I've ever played (and am playing). Have only been through a few sessions so far, and it's as fun as I'd expected it to be. Feeling I'm doing pretty good for my first campaign.
    Ooh, a psion. What class?

Heh, I've got no delusions of grandeur for the awards. It was really flattering for Teddy to be nominated best supporting character, but I really doubt I'll win. I'm just glad I was nominated.

Usually I'll get a scene or two in my head that will write itself, but rarely a full chapter, and even more rarely the next part I need to work on. I'll get ideas for scenes WAY further in the story, or at least a few chapters away, and it takes up so much time and effort to get to those scenes that I often end up losing them because I'm trying not to concentrate on them.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Like Lady Lucifer said, it usually happens when I start a fic. However it does happen sometimes while I'm writing, but alas I'm too lazy to keep it going, eventually I stop to do something else and then I lose it. Like last night, I had finally gotten myself into writing SYR again and then I had to do something, when I got back I couldn't get myself to write anymore.

Yeah, like you guys said, the first chapter pretty much just writes itself, it's crazy. But as you go on and continue with the story, it does get harder.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    Yeah, like you guys said, the first chapter pretty much just writes itself, it's crazy. But as you go on and continue with the story, it does get harder.
    Well it's actually pretty simple, it's the same thing as a new car or a new game, it's awesome when you start but it starts to get boring after a while, the reason for this is that when you write the first chapter the story is still new. However from that point on you begin to plan more stuff out and the more you plan the more you know what's gonna happen and the more you know the less exciting it feels.

I feel the opposite. The more I know about the story, the more I want to write it. The less I know, the more I want to plan it rather than write it.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

@Llama_Guy; Hey, wanted to ask you something. I think I read or heard somewhere that Norwegian kids are like the smartest kids in the whole entire world, but their school days are only like 2 or 4 hours long. You being Norwegian, should know if this is true or not.

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

i think it's because when you first start writing, you're inspired but then you lose inspiration as you go along. i usually have to listen to music or watch something to get my inspiration back.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    I feel the opposite. The more I know about the story, the more I want to write it. The less I know, the more I want to plan it rather than write it.
    Exactly but that's also why you lose interest. It's logic the more you want to write a specific part the more interest that other parts lose. If you want to write a part of the story so badly then you'll become obsessed with getting to that amazing point and will get bored of the things that stop you from reaching it. Another aspect of is this is when you plan something that you really want and you keep playing it over and over in your head, but once you reach that point it's hard to write because while imagining it you never thought about what you'd do when you had to write it and since you've already played it in your head over and over again it becomes less awesome.

@Red; hahahahaha x) Sorry for the laugh, but that is incredibly silly, and based off the average stereotype that Norwegians are through-and-through awesome. Norwegian kids score average at best at international school performance studies. As for intelligence I wouldn't know, but I guess it's about the same average as other western countries. Scandinavian people generally know more languages than other countries, as we've got mandatory third language education from (the equivalent of) junior high, and start learning basic English already in first grade.

As for school hours, we've got, uh, 4-5 hours a day in elementary, 6 a day in junior high (8th-10th grade), and 7-8 a day in high school. One school "hour" is 45 minutes long.
    @Stellar Haze; except I don't, and that's my point. I know what my epic moments are like, and I know what they sound like, and I know how to write them. I take interest in them because I've seen them so many times.

Follow R0-S3 on Tumblr

I always have a lot of trouble getting started with a story! The first chapter is always difficult, and after that (provided I've planned it out properly), it just gets easier and easier.

I generally prefer the later chapters because that's when the mechanics of the world are established and I can start getting things done without needing to fuss about it. Luckily, my current story is PMD-based, which means my amnesiac main character is a convenient bucket into which exposition can be poured, and I can explain everything within the first couple of chapters.

(I'm working on the first chapter of said story right now, and I actually had to go and write several scenes which occur later in the story before I felt confident enough with my characters and their voices to go back and write the first chapter. And I still hate that damn thing!)
    I have an art thread!

@R0-S3; Out of curiosity: why write if you hate?

On a related note, what do you guys think of this piece? Currently working on learning it. Hard stuff, but insanely cool. The original song it's based off on is also really pretty. Learned a slow piano version of it a few years ago.

(also, hooray for 250 posts)
    Last edited by TheLlama; 20th May 2012 at 05:49 PM.