Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 80

Page 80 of 399 FirstFirst ... 3070787980818290130180 ... LastLast
Results 1,186 to 1,200 of 5974
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

More than I currently have as well....
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

you'll be the end of me. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

and i also had english finals. baaa.

if the work i have to do in middle school is this stressful, then i don't want to know what's going to happen in the high school i'm going to ;;. it's a magnet school with eight periods Dx.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    *brofist* I play Supreme Commander and Total War on a regular basis. I prefer the first Supreme Commander game, though. While fun, the second one was too different for me to consider it a "Supreme Commander" game. As for TW I stick to Medieval 2 and Shogun 2. Have you tried Radious' Overhaul Mod for Shogun 2? It's an incredible mod that does a lot to further the game.

I've played Civ III, IV and V, but I never quite fell for the series. Fun, but I'd rather stick to other stuff. Have you played Heroes of Might and Magic? Awesome game series.

I'd enjoy a game with you sometime if you'd like that; haven't had a decent opponent in way too long.
    Agreed about Supreme Commander 2. It wasn't a bad game as such, I actually quite liked it, but it removed all the things that made Supreme Commander what it was in exchange for content entirely inappropriate to the fandom. I wanted vast, deep strategy, not quirky skirmishes with cartoony graphics. Thus, it has a notoriously broken base. (Also, I was quite annoyed that there were no good female characters, after the prequels had such a good track record.)

I've only just started playing Shogun 2 after a friend bought it for me on a whim, and I was instantly addicted. I'll be sure to check out mods in due time, but I usually play vanilla for a while first. I absolutely adore Civ V, but it isn't perfect. Hopefully with the coming expansion, it'll get close enough...~ I actually haven't played HoMaM, no.

Depending on the game, I'd be delighted to try my wits against you.

Has anyone tried any grand strategy games? Games where you're supposed to really manage an empire, often with in-depth simulation and game mechanics? Games like Crusader Kings, Europa Universalis, Victoria (my personal favorite), pretty much every other title from Paradox Interactive, and then some?
    Grand strategy games like these induce delighted babbling in me. Sadly, I don't actually own any, though I've played GalCiVII, East India Company and Magicka, all by Paradox, so I know they're good developers. If I had the money to buy them and the time to play them, I would buy so much of their work... Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy of Victoria in particular eventually: alternate history is a great obsession of mine.

In general I also enjoy 4x titles (4x = explore, expand, exploit, exterminate). It's empire management as well, but generally much, much lighter than grand strategy, with more focus on battling and warfare than empire management (as the "4x" moniker implies). A good example is Sins of a Solar Empire (heard of it, @unrepentantAuthor;? I think you will enjoy it thoroughly given the game list above), and the Civilization series fall well into this category as well (though the turn-based category of 4x).
    Yes, I own a copy of Sins, and rather enjoy it. 4x is wonderful, though the genre is quite diverse. Have you heard of the upcoming game "Endless Space"? It's said to be an even-better 'Civ V in Space,' so obviously I'm going to preorder it. I'll let you know how that goes if you're interested.

I also enjoy single-player RPGs (The Elder Scrolls is so amazing <3). They're faster than MMOs and doesn't consist of fifteen gazillion hours of farming for items and skills, nor do they require monthly payments or anything like that. oh, and better graphics. Much better graphics. Adventure games fall in udner thsi category as well, both the Mario franchise and the Zelda games, as well as the obvious Pokemon games. I stick to handheld for the latter, though.
    I've not played any Elder Scrolls, but I'm sure I'd love them. I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, though, by the same guys. Agreed on RPG's in that vein being infinitely better than exploitative MMO's. The only MMO I have any fondness for is EVE Online but even then, I have issues with it.

Final batch of games I play is the simulation genre. SimCity is a game I've spent countless hours on, and RollerCoaster Tycoon was one of the first games I played, ever. That franchise is so amazing. So. Amazing!

When out of other things to do I might find myself playing sports games, or car games (the intensity is fun time to time).

Not a big fan of FPS games though.
    I adore sims, though, oddly enough, I don't own any 'Sim' games, 'City or otherwise. I don't normally play racers, but I do love Burnout Paradise, for much the reason you do. Another anomaly in my library of games is SSBB, the only non-PC game - aside from Pokémon - in my vast list of games!

Quite the gamers, we are.

The small giant Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

So I think I flunked my first calculus test.

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    Agreed about Supreme Commander 2. It wasn't a bad game as such, I actually quite liked it, but it removed all the things that made Supreme Commander what it was in exchange for content entirely inappropriate to the fandom. I wanted vast, deep strategy, not quirky skirmishes with cartoony graphics. Thus, it has a notoriously broken base. (Also, I was quite annoyed that there were no good female characters, after the prequels had such a good track record.)

I've only just started playing Shogun 2 after a friend bought it for me on a whim, and I was instantly addicted. I'll be sure to check out mods in due time, but I usually play vanilla for a while first. I absolutely adore Civ V, but it isn't perfect. Hopefully with the coming expansion, it'll get close enough...~ I actually haven't played HoMaM, no.

Depending on the game, I'd be delighted to try my wits against you.
    The first Supreme Commander was everything I liked in an RTS game; deep, immersive, good options for avoiding micromanagement, large battles, and the ability to deploy numerous strategies with great success. Maybe it could have had the research tree the second one added, in addition to its already-existing tech level options. I cared little for the characters either way, though I expected more of it in that department given Square Enix' involvement.

Ah. I finished a single SP campaign, then went straight for the mods. I quite enjoy modding games; having the freedom to do what I want with them. Heroes of Might and Magic is an excellent game series, I recommend you try them out one day. I recommend HoMM III, though the fifth one is decent as well. The sixth (and newest), while fun, and featuring my favorite faction so far in the game series, is still too bug-ridden and lack important features (like a random map generator).

The HoMM games are basically turn-based strategy games, where you move a hero with an army through a game overworld, gathering resources and taking over mines, fighting neutral creatures and eventually opposing players. Your creatures are built from bases, or "towns", which you can upgrade as the games go by, to increase incomes, access new units and so on. When in battle the game shifts to a chess board-like interface, where your creatures are placed like chess pieces (multiple creatures are usually grouped together into one "stack"), and you have to move them around in turns, attacking opponents, using spells and abilities, and so on. Really fun, really interesting.

Add me om Skype or whatever (name's llamaguy42), then we can set up something once. Have to say though, I don't actually own legit copies of a lot of games (what with me being poor and everything), which makes it harder to play games online. Bright side is, I know ways to circumvent that for a lot of games ;)

Grand strategy games like these induce delighted babbling in me. Sadly, I don't actually own any, though I've played GalCiVII, East India Company and Magicka, all by Paradox, so I know they're good developers. If I had the money to buy them and the time to play them, I would buy so much of their work... Hopefully I'll get my hands on a copy of Victoria in particular eventually: alternate history is a great obsession of mine.
    I so thoroughly enjoy Victoria (the second installment, that is, much better than the first), though I've only ever played it with mods - mods that mostly add flavor and balance, though, with extra decisions and alternate history events (such as the North seceding rather than the South in the ACW, if you go pro-slavery, or a second civil war, or even a total secession of the states if the US turns into a monarchy or any form of dictatorship. There's also a ton of possibilities to re-form old empires, really like it!). Paradox make so many great games it's hard to list them all... :P

Yes, I own a copy of Sins, and rather enjoy it. 4x is wonderful, though the genre is quite diverse. Have you heard of the upcoming game "Endless Space"? It's said to be an even-better 'Civ V in Space,' so obviously I'm going to preorder it. I'll let you know how that goes if you're interested.
    I've been active on the Endless Space forums a long time, given that they allowed people to take part in the development. I actually won a competition, so a hero biography I made will be featured in the game itself :")

Sins is a beautiful game, I've had so many awesome games on it with friends. Try out the Distant Stars mod for it; it adds an incredible amount of depth, variety and replayability.

I've not played any Elder Scrolls, but I'm sure I'd love them. I'm a huge fan of Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas, though, by the same guys. Agreed on RPG's in that vein being infinitely better than exploitative MMO's. The only MMO I have any fondness for is EVE Online but even then, I have issues with it.
    Aah, the Elder Scrolls is a wonderful SRPG series, I found it much more enjoyable than the Fallout series. A friend of mine keeps hounding me about EVE, but I'm not that sure I want to play it.

I adore sims, though, oddly enough, I don't own any 'Sim' games, 'City or otherwise. I don't normally play racers, but I do love Burnout Paradise, for much the reason you do. Another anomaly in my library of games is SSBB, the only non-PC game - aside from Pokémon - in my vast list of games!
    Hmm, you should try SimCity 4, it's great!

Have you not played the Legend of Zelda series, then? If not, play them!

And yes, we are quite the gamers
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

Well, that really sucks Misheard Whisper :( I really feel for you. Are you in college or high school? Cause that seems like work for a college student.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Oh, you play Roller Coaster Tycoon, Llama_Guy? So do I! Well, the third game, anyway. I never played the second, and didn't play the first much because my stepbrothers hogged it. But I love the third game. Everything about it is awesome. I can't wait for RCT 3D for the 3DS to come out! It should be out in June sometime. :D

I also have Sims 2 and every expansion pack for it except one. I'm going to order it online once I get my debit card in the mail. I just opened up a bank account today. :3 I hate Sims 3. It sucks and heavily disappointed me. It took away everything I love about Sims 2.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Can I please know what we're talking about xD

@Red: Actually he's in high school.

You know after school activities have always been something that bothered me. I did track for a couple of years but even then I still felt annoyed about it at times, I guess I'm just lazy but it's hard for me to actually focus on an activity when I know that I could be resting or doing whatever I want with my afternoons. That's probably why I haven't taken up any activities in two years and have left my afternoons free but it just seems like a drag to have to go out after coming back from school or go to where I have to go from school while still being tired.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Well, some of us are talking about games, I know that. xP

EDIT: Scratch what I said about RCT 3D's release date, it's actually coming out on May 22nd! CAN'T WAIT.

Quote Originally Posted by Kelleo View Post
    Oh, you play Roller Coaster Tycoon, Llama_Guy? So do I! Well, the third game, anyway. I never played the second, and didn't play the first much because my stepbrothers hogged it. But I love the third game. Everything about it is awesome. I can't wait for RCT 3D for the 3DS to come out! It should be out in June sometime. :D

I also have Sims 2 and every expansion pack for it except one. I'm going to order it online once I get my debit card in the mail. I just opened up a bank account today. :3 I hate Sims 3. It sucks and heavily disappointed me. It took away everything I love about Sims 2.
    I love RCT3, and I love using custom content to create awesome rides (here's a few examples). Oh, and peep bowling. Most hilarious thing ever

I still prefer the second one, though, for nostalgia value and because I'm working on this amazing park!

Sims 3 is better than Sims 2 at what I like best: building houses. Apart from that Sims 2 is better. But I don't do the other stuff.

Blog Entries

I will be so happy if Majora's Mask gets a 3DS release to follow Ocarina of Time.

Assassin's Creed 3 is coming out October 30, 2012!! <3

AC is my favorite game series of ALL time.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

I really suck when it comes to video games *sighs* my parents never bought me consoles or games unless I did something in exchange, good grades equals video games or anything else, hell if I didn't have good grades then the level of greatness by birthday gift had was reduced. Though I admit we couldn't really waste cash.

Ah, I just bought my own computer

you'll be the end of me. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

the only after school activity i've ever participated in was writing club this school year. it's over now for the year. ;; i miss it. we did a lot of fun stuff in there.