Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Stop Online Privacy Act?

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Lights!

(film projector whirs)

Quote Originally Posted by Educational Film Narrator Guy
    The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), also known as H.R. 3261, is a bill that was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on October 26, 2011, by House Judiciary Committee Chair Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors. The bill expands the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Now before the House Judiciary Committee, it builds on the similar PRO-IP Act of 2008 and the corresponding Senate bill, the PROTECT IP Act.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who makes the request, the court order could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators such as PayPal from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 such infringements within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.

Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market and corresponding industry, jobs and revenue, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites. They cite examples such as Google's $500 million settlement with the Department of Justice for its role in a scheme to target U.S. consumers with ads to buy illegal prescription drugs from Canadian pharmacies.

Opponents say that it violates the First Amendment, is Internet censorship, will cripple the Internet,and will threaten whistle-blowing and other free speech.Opponents have initiated a number of protest actions, including petition drives, boycotts of companies that support the legislation, and even proposed service blackouts by major Internet companies scheduled to coincide with the next Congressional hearing on the matter.
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Bleh, I support the idea behind SOPA (as a musician, piracy is crippling when it comes to making money), but they're going about it all wrong. There is simply too much content on the internet that could be considered copyrighted, everything except search engines would be censured in days, and those would be quick to follow :P

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I agree what you said, AetherX, there is simply too much content in the Internet that could be considered copyrighted. Possibly the best way to fight piracy is to offer a better service than piracy in some sort of way.

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I just think it's plain dumb I mean they're basically going to get rid of the Internet considering what it's become I mean think of youtube for example most of those videos aren't exactly following the rules of copyright and there's also the same thing with sites that allow to download music or games.

I just think that it'll make things really boring plus it's just a little stupid.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Bleh, I support the idea behind SOPA (as a musician, piracy is crippling when it comes to making money), but they're going about it all wrong. There is simply too much content on the internet that could be considered copyrighted, everything except search engines would be censured in days, and those would be quick to follow :P
    The thing about that is, in the US, the artists themselves don't get the money from their record sales. The recording companies do, so piracy really does a lot less damage to the artists themselves than most people think.

And Flame, yeah, that's basically what they're doing. This bill is irrefutable proof that the old men running my country are out of touch with modern society and innovation and need to be replaced.

Blog Entries

Reddit, YouTube, Google, Facebook, and DeviantArt are only a few of the sites going down on Wednesday to protest--so is Bulbagarden going down too?

Blog Entries

According to Archaic, yes.

Blog Entries

Okay--I was just curious

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

What? that just sucks *groans*

J'ai Envie De Toi AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Lugion View Post
    The thing about that is, in the US, the artists themselves don't get the money from their record sales. The recording companies do, so piracy really does a lot less damage to the artists themselves than most people think.
    That may be true when they're are signed, but indie artists have a hard time making any money (which is usually okay because they don't really care as much about the money). But even signed artists make most of their income from live shows, since record labels enjoy blaming terrible commissions on piracy. Piracy sucks all around, I've seen several software companies go down the drain because nobody payed for their products. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do to prevent it (SOPA is not the right idea).

Anyway, it looks like I'll be bored out of my mind on Wednesday. Is that sad?

Unpredictable - Fan Fic
    Find me on Soundcloud

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Oh come on we're fanfic writers! we will write! we will write until our fingers can't tap anymore because we have a dream!

HELL YEAH xD

That's why I'm calling wednesday "Writing Day"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AetherX View Post
    Anyway, it looks like I'll be bored out of my mind on Wednesday. Is that sad?
    You're not the only one :P
    At least I'll be able to sit down and work on my next chapter with no distractions :D

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Chaosj2 View Post
    You're not the only one :P
    At least I'll be able to sit down and work on my next chapter with no distractions :D
    Exactly *points to post above yours*

Page 7 of 399 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast