Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 61

Page 61 of 400 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Like Tree761Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

I never really counted how many Links I believe there are. Let's see...

1. LoZ/AoL Link
    2. ALttP/LA Link
    3. OoT/MM Link
    4. OoS/OoA Link
    5. TWW/PH Link
    6. TP Link
    7. TMC Link
    8. FS/FSA Link
    9. ST Link
    10. SS Link

That's ten Links.

@Kelleo; Very true, my memory seems to fail me regarding the whole incarnation/descendant thing. Still, Link ever marrying Zelda usually implies him having to become king once. I don't see Link as the king type of person, he's just the restless adventurer. But then again maybe that's just how I've filled myself into his role :P

Speaking of which, when looking at Link's character, he is practically the biggest Mary Sue in history x) A character of infinite bravado, destined to save the world, immediately talented with whatever he picks up, not to mention his personality being merely an empty slate for the player to insert themselves into, as the hero of the story (he is literally the "Link" through which the player enters the game world...)

Not that it detracts from the games at all, but, eh. A fun observation.

oh, and according to the official timeline, it would be rather impossible for the FS and FSA link to be the same.

To further elaborate on that:
    Main timeline:
    SS Link
    MC Link
    OoT/MM Link
    ---
    Decline timeline (link fails in OoT):
    ALttP/OoS/OoA/LA Link
    LoZ/AoL Link
    ---
    Child timeline (the line Link was sent back to after OoT [where ganondorf is not sealed, but executed, before he could perform the deeds he did in OoT]):
    TP Link
    FSA Link
    ---
    Adult timeline (the line Link was sent back from after OoT [where ganondorf is sealed, after havign done the deeds he did in ooT]
    TWW/PH Link
    ST Link

That's a total of nine Links - however there are mentions of several others in a few game backstories, and Hyrule Historia says that OoT Link is in fact the seventh Link, meaning there are others that have not been mentioned at all.
    Last edited by TheLlama; 2nd May 2012 at 06:03 PM.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Okay, I'll go ahead and post my timeline theory.

Bear in mind that this is only a theory, and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Link #1: SS

Link #2a: OoT->MM->TP

This is the Child Link half of the timeline. When Link opens the Door of Time in Ocarina of Time, time splits in two.

Link #2b: OoT->WW->PH->ST

This is the Adult Link half of the timeline. When he returns to his own time at the end of Ocarina of Time, this half floods, creating the Great Sea.

When TP and ST end in their respective timelines, the two timelines somehow merge into one again.

Link #3: TMC->FS->FSA

It can be argued that this storyline is a sidestory, but all of them feature the concept of splitting in four. In addition, Ganon does have some traits he also has in ALttP, which is why I put it before ALttP in my timeline.

Link #4: ALttP->OoA/OoS->LA->TLoZ->AoL

This is the longest lived Link of the bunch, IMO. According to the LA manual, we are told that not long after ALttP ends, Link leaves Hyrule on a journey of discovery. While we don't yet know exactly how long this journey was, it's possible Labrynna and Holodrum were two stops on this journey, because in the endings of both games, he is on a boat similar to the one in the LA opening. When Link returns to Hyrule, it is in ruins, and the original game occurs. AoL occurs some years later
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Llama_Guy: I don't believe that timeline is real. There are a lot of holes in it. For one thing, where's FS in it? xP

Also, Link doesn't necessarily have to be a king. He could also be a Prince Consort. In fact, in our own medieval times, men who married princesses did not become kings. They became consorts. Video games don't have to follow the rules of our history, but this still makes a lot of sense.

LightningTopaz: I can already tell you that it was confirmed that TP Link is NOT OoT/MM Link and TWW/PH Link is NOT OoT/MM Link. It was also confirmed that ST Link is NOT TWW/PH Link as well.

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Oh, okay--so we can consider them separate Links, then.

I acknowledge that I may have gaps in my knowledge due to games I haven't played, so counterpoints and criticism is welcome
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

@Kelleo; That timeline is from Hyrule Historia. It's pretty much official. Four Swords is there. It's in the main timeline, just before Ocarina of Time.

That's true, but they're still bound to the palace more than anything, a consort couldn't prance around like an adventurer - and that was my point; Link does not, for me, seem like the type to settle down in any sort of way :P
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Dimension Wizard Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

Another thing I've had in my mind is this. How come the world in WW/PH/ST is more advanced than the world in the other timelines, if we fillow the adult timeline and the Decline timeline then they're still going through a medieval ages kind of era. While the child timeline already has boats and ships that deal with some kind of technology and later goes on to have fully funtional trains.
    @Llama_Guy; so the Link from ALTtP really is th esame one from the Oracle games and LA huh?

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    @Kelleo; That timeline is from Hyrule Historia. It's pretty much official. Four Swords is there. It's in the main timeline, just before Ocarina of Time.
    I only see TMC and SS before OoT up there. Hyrule Historia isn't an official source. Only Nintendo is. Did Nintendo make that site?

That's true, but they're still bound to the palace more than anything, a consort couldn't prance around like an adventurer - and that was my point; Link does not, for me, seem like the type to settle down in any sort of way :P
    We don't know that for sure. We know little about Link's personality, so we don't really know whether or not he'd like to settle down. But LinkxZelda is still heavily implied in at least a few games.

@Stellar Haze; it's the adult timeline that goes into TWW, PH and ST - but I see your point. But then again, maybe the time scale is entirely different. There was a great amount of time spent after the great flood, for example, before TWW starts. In the Decline Timeline you only have two sets of closely-connected games, so the amount of time can't be that great. The Child timeline I don't know about, but I suppose there's a fair bit of time between MM, TP and FSA. Oh, well.
    @Kelleo; "Hyrule Historia is a compilation of official sources with Eiji Aonuma as its chief editor and therefore represents the developer's view of the chronology most accurately." Eiji Aonuma is a Nintendo employee and has been supervisor, producer and/or director for most of the Zelda games, thus the person most involved in the Zelda franchise. It's as official as you'll get it. And Hyrule Historia is not originally a web site; it's a 300-page book with said official sources and Aonuma's views on this and that and everything. The site is just a companion to that book (I didn't even know there was such a site :P).

How can you not see Four Swords? :P At the top there's SS, then there's some space, then TMC, FS and OoT come in rapid succession.

Like I said. I was merely expressing my personal interpretation of Link, I don't care whether or not it can be known for sure, it's just how I, personally, view him. I am fully aware LinkxZelda has been implied in some games. I haven't denied that, after you cleared my misunderstanding that Link had descendants instead of reincarnations. I was, again, only expressing how I personally view Link, and that I made explicitly clear (sorry for repeating that a thousand times xP)

Add Kelleo on Facebook

Well, I still don't want to believe that timeline. And I still don't see FS in your post. xP

And fair enough.

@Kelleo; Oh, drat, I thought you were referring to the image I linked to. That's the actual timeline right there, it has Four Swords in it. I see now that I didn't write Four Swords in my own post, which you were referring to >.>

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Well we know that the Link from WW/PH could've ended up with Tetra considering Tetra was just as adventorous as he was.

I always thought FS and FSA were the same but FSA was a remake or something, so they're different games.

Yeah, they're different games, but the three FS games (FS, FSA and Minish Cap) all have Vaati as the villain, and feature the Four Sword, so they are considered a "series" in that sense - but FSA comes much later - after both OoT and TP; the Ganondorf in that game is a reincarnation of his OoT self.

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Well then, judging by this we still have the Sealing wars that are mentioned there where Ganondorf was originally sealed, maybe another Link was able to seal him away or something like that.

But taking all that into account, basically we'll keep getting prequels or interquels for a while since Ganon's already dead in the current time of all three timelines.

That's nothing new - if you look at the games in the order they were made, it's just been a jumbled mix of prequels, interquels, parallels and the occasional sequel. But even if the bad guy is sealed that's no obstacle, you can simply revive him or have him reincarnate :P