Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 51

Page 51 of 399 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101151 ... LastLast
Like Tree758Likes

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Well, a white belt is dangerous for its unpredictability, lack of self control, and complete disregard for anyone's well being
    TheLlama likes this.

Phew.... I'm currently writing a few flowcharts to keep track of all the stuff that's gonna take place in my upcoming fanfiction. Even with the flowcharts it's a real headache to keep track of it all, and how it's supposed to be pieced together... so much for extensive and intricate settings >.>; (hint: Entirely new mythological backstory, five or six different "factions" ,god knows how many major and minor characters, and the red thread to bind it all together)

How do you guys keep track of your work when you're writing something with extensive background detail? Flowcharts? outlines? Nothing at all?
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

you'll be the end of me. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

i sometimes outline what i do, other times i just do nothing and let it come naturally. :U

Hmm, I see, I see. Even if I know most of what will happen, it's taken me two hours simply writing down the details and making sense of it, organizing it into flowcharts and such. I have a whole A3 page filled to the brim with text >.>; but at least now I'll be able to write more efficiently as I have a detailed list of what's gonna happen where, and it's easy to write as well.

Next time I'm gonna write a much easier story, so I won't have to do ALL this planning stuff and... guh. Tired. I'm heading to bed now, need some sleep, and then maybe I should start thinking about exams (have one next week, haven't even begun reading...).
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

Blog Entries

Planning? What's that?

I kid, I kid, I actually have a bare bones outline with only the important details written on it in my notepad. It's around 3 pages of cluttered text, but I use it mostly for quick references since its only part of what I plan for Theory. The rest of the stuff is mostly already arranged in my head because......as previously mentioned, I think about my fic for an unusually large amount of time. That usually helps me spot and fill plot holes a while ahead of time, and also find better alternatives (Like how I got an idea recently when Haze was helping me out for my next chap)

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I don't plan before I start. I begin with a hiss and a roar and charge ahead as far as I can without planning, then I stop, sit back and examine where I've got to. Then I take that into account and plan further, possibly even to the end of the story. Champion Game has about sixteen pages of planning, not including backstories, tables, battle records and maps. So I'm not an overzealous planner, but nor am I entirely comfortable with winging it the whole way. I've never gotten this far through a piece of writing before, though, so I'm working out my style as I go along. Do you ever find that you have to adjust your known boundaries and tactics as you reach levels you haven't before?

Quote Originally Posted by E.L. Doctorow
    Planning to write is not writing. Outlining, researching, talking to people about what you're doing, none of that is writing. Writing is writing.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I write down my ideas sometimes. Usually when I come up with an idea that I can't use currently, but could use later on. That way, I won't forget about it.

Like, the characters that will appear in the sequel to my FE fic, I have their names written down so I don't forget them.

Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook Add an illegible mess. on MySpace

ugh, i'm getting towards the end of my chapter and the more i write the more i regret ending the story ;; i really don't want to. i don't think i've ever enjoyed a story as much as this one (talking about the devil's gift by the way).

do you guys have any stories that you would/did hate to end/have ended?

The problem with fanfiction, for me, is the fact that I'm posting and sharing it as I go - this requires some planning (I hate rewriting stuff I have already shared). A normal novel allows you to change whatever you want, wherever you need in the story, at any time during the overall writing process. This means I don't have to consider planning as much

Also, the story I'm writing kind of is a story that needs planning. It's got a complex mythology, a new region and god knows what. It's divided into two parts, and things you see in the first chapter are only the beginnings of something that will unfold towards the end of the first part, or maybe into the second one, so I need to know what I want to do, and where to do it. And then again, I constantly get these awesome ideas and scenes in my head, which I write down so as not to forget them - they're also a part of the whole "planning" thing (I consider them as such, anyway).

@Lady Lucifer; I probably would, as I like the concept that a story is nothing more than a small excerpt from a larger universe. There's always more I want to explore, more I want to do, to see. So if I ever get that far with a story - yes, I would probably hate to end it. But I wouldn't let it drag on forever for that reason (looking at you, shonen manga...).

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

I don't want to let Champion Game end. It's become a part of me over the last year, and I can't imagine not writing it. In that sense, I don't think it will ever truly end. Ren's going to have more adventures in his lifetime than I can possibly chronicle in mine. Ehehehe...
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Blog Entries

yeah. i hate those never ending animes/manga like bleach and stuff :U. still, because i've gotten so far into this story, and the fact that i cherish it so much, it's hard to end it all. i may make a sequel or i may not, i just need to get a good plot going.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

I know the feeling. I really don't want Dawn of Darkness or any of my other fics to end either. But that's why we have sequels! To add more to the story! And in my case, I have related short stories as well.

Blog Entries

Aikido sounds interesting. I looked it up, and the University I'm going to in the fall actually has an Aikido club taught by one of the professors. I'm not exactly a big guy (about 5'11" or 1.8 meters, 145 lbs or ~66 kg), so it sounds perfect. I've also considered taking up Tai Chi as well.

As for ending fics... I have a few story arcs in mind for my Dragon Ball fic, and it could end easily after any one of them. Generally, I don't write episodic fics, so I generally don't have to worry about when to end them.

The small giant Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I haven't decided when to end my fics either xD actually I always work out the endings before I start with the story but I'm never sure how far along the ending will be and I'll always be changing the ending anyway.

Because I like Tophats Tophat Dragoneye's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I already know how my fic is going to end. After I read "A Guide to Good Writing", which I recommend everyone to read who is new to fanfic writing or writing in general, I decided to think how my fic is going to end from the beginning and then work my way up. But, the question is how long it will take before I reach the said end.
    Last edited by Tophat Dragoneye; 29th April 2012 at 03:23 PM.
    Revolutionaryverse

Many thanks to Blue Dragon for the signature

ONE-shot: Forced into Retirement