Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 4
Page 4 of 554 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Brock's Pikachu LightningTopaz's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

@Hitomi: Fellow Wheel of Time fan!

I'm planning a fic loosely based on Guardian Signs, only instead of Rangers with Stylers, I have six heroes drawing the signs with rings
    My URPG stats: Maya's status

SuBuWriMo status: 28,103 words in all!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Legacy View Post
    So, I've been looking for some good books to read in my spare time... any ideas?

I love the Harry Potter series and other fantasy-type stuff, but not Twilight. Any suggestions?
    Well, they're really lengthy, but The Lord of the Rings are all fantastic.

And, yeah, LT. That's exactly what I thought of playing through Guardian Signs as well. I did love it, too.

There's a Pokémon tournament coming up next week in my town that I'm going to be entering in. There's one particular person I'm worried about, but I've been raising new members on my team to help me turn the tide against him. Mainly a Skarmory lead, running Spikes, Stealth Rock, Roar, and Toxic. Sassy nature, since speed doesn't really matter.

Also been doing a lot of world-building on my own novel project lately. A lot of it's been inspired by my researching on Skyrim in anticipation of purchasing it.

Blog Entries

I hope to have an atlas thread for the new fic soon.

Your mind is a world AetherX's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Visit AetherX's Youtube Channel

So, I've been looking for some good books to read in my spare time... any ideas?

I love the Harry Potter series and other fantasy-type stuff, but not Twilight. Any suggestions?
    Just recently finished a pair of books (a series with only two books and not three, who knew?): Eon and its sequel Eona by Allison Goodman. They were quite good, especially the first one. Plenty of action, suspense, sex, bloodshed, and mystery. It's based in a China-esque nation where twelve "Dragoneyes" act as messengers/channelers of twelve dragons (based on the zodiac). They do all sorts of magical things to keep the nation peaceful, but as always, power corrupts. I highly recommend them.

Outplay the Coinflip -Glory Blaze-'s Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

I can recommend the Bartimaeus Trilogy by Jonathan Stroud for fantasy fans, Legacy. Compelling plot with some excellent humor thrown in.

(BTW, the name is a link to the series' website. Just in case. Links here confuse me! :D)

◓Gypsy Vanner Horse Kyuuketsuki's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    I'm planning a fic loosely based on Guardian Signs, only instead of Rangers with Stylers, I have six heroes drawing the signs with rings
    That sounds quite interesting. I've been planning a Story starting Lavana & Ice; they're from Shadows of Almia. The Ranger series does provide many interesting concepts and characters.
    Last edited by Kyuuketsuki; 7th January 2012 at 01:18 AM.

Blog Entries

I think I'll make that thread...

Blog Entries

Follow Hitomi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by LightningTopaz View Post
    Hitomi: Fellow Wheel of Time fan!

Yay! For a book series that was so well received, I've only met like two people IRL who have ever even heard of it. And then they ask what it's about and I have a hard time trying to narrow down its plot details and terminology in just a few sentences. ^^;

That sounds awesome. I'd like to read that when you get started on it. :D I love Ranger, but most of the chaptered fanfiction I've seen is sadly lacking in unique plot. (But what can I say about chaptered fics; I've only successfully published one-shots. xD)

Blog Entries

I have a thread in the Atlas with all my notes so far

Blog Entries

I'd recommend the A Song of Ice and Fire series. It's a bit gruff and explicit sometimes, 'cause it is a more realistic take on the usual fantasy kingdoms setting, but the author really knows how to draw you in.

A lone detective takes it upon himself to solve the murder of a young woman, willingly diving into the dangerous web of conspiracies weaved by the feuding mafia families. But after the truth is uncovered, will that city of sin be the same ever again?

Can you give me a short synopsis?
    Here's a strange story. This is really a fantastic battle of good against evil set in the weirdest landscape you could possibly imagine - there are salt mines and mud dwellers and mighty battle fleets of land-wind-craft fighting ancient wars across the desert.

Evil has the walled city of Aramanth in its grip, and yet the people don't realize it. Their society is based on absolute fairness for every inhabitant:

Here were the people of Aramanth, ranked and ordered, going about the business of being tested in a manner that was fair and just. None could complain of favouritism, or of secret grudges against them. All sat the same exam, and all were marked in the same way. The able and the diligent came to the fore, as was right and proper, and the stupid and the idle slipped down the rankings, as was also right and proper. Of course it was unpleasant for those who performed poorly, and had to move house to a poorer district ...

Well, this is called satire, because it is holding something - the school examination system - up to ridicule. Really, we all know that if you are a duffer at maths you are not necessarily a duffer at life, and you are probably excellent at sculpture, or botany or something. But individuality is not valued in Aramanth. We meet the Hath family who love each other dearly but feel unable to join the general race to better themselves. They are slipping down the rankings.

Kestrel Hath throws a wobbly at school. She has forgotten her homework and is ridiculed by her class teacher until she can bear no more. She abandons school during the lunch break, trailed by her twin brother, Bowman, and Mumpo, the class dunce, who has formed an unshakeable affection for her.

Revenge is swift and bitter in Aramanth and Kestrel finds herself sentenced to lifelong special teaching. She makes a desperate bid for freedom through an open door in the Great Tower at the centre of the Imperial Palace and meets face to face with the doddering old Emperor himself. He seems to have been expecting Kestrel and tells her that the city is bound to the evil Morah. He can only be overcome if someone will go to the halls of the Morah and retrieve the voice of the Wind Singer which was taken from Aramanth many generations ago. The Wind Singer is a kind of ancient musical monument left by the old ones to the people of Aramanth in perpetuity. If only the Wind Singer can be made to sing again, everything will be alright. Kestrel, Bowman, and Mumpo leave the city through the drains with horrifying old-children clutching at them as they go. They enter the dim and oozing world of the Underlake. And they are off on the most extraordinary adventures. A memorable and spectacular book.
    You are tiny. I can see the whole of time and space, every single atom of your existence, and I divide them. Everything must come to dust. All things, everything dies.

Let's get funky! Gama's Avatar Former Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

@Legacy You ever read His Dark Materials or the Abhorsen series? Both very good fantasy trilogies.

Blog Entries

The Dragonriders of Pern and the Witch World are great fantasy classics if you're into older series

Reader and Writer Legacy's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Excellent, I've not read any of these! Thanks for the suggestions.

Coming Soon...

Blog Entries

I did NOT see that big twist in Pokemon Ranger coming

Page 4 of 554 FirstFirst ... 234561454104504 ... LastLast