Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread - Page 39
Page 39 of 559 FirstFirst ... 2937383940414989139539 ... LastLast

Thread: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Blog Entries

Default Re: Writer's Workshop General Chat Thread

Personally, I did a Sinnoh Journey Fic since I wasn't satisfied with how the game portrayed certain aspects, such as Galactic, the journey itself, and each individual town. Now that I've started writing it, I plan to go to the end (which feels like its gonna take a while)

Anyway, I don't know about you guys, but being in the directory makes me feel.......special X3

Stray Dog Flaze's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook
    Follow Flaze on Tumblr Visit Flaze's Youtube Channel

I just hope people really do read our fics basing themselves from the directory though.

Blog Entries

I've already found a few interesting fics that I plan to read once I get the time, the directory helps me when I get in the mood to read certain genres

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

Good point, though I hope that also gets some attention for us as well.

Add Kelleo on Facebook
    Visit Kelleo's Youtube Channel

Yeah, same here (the only one of my fics that's gotten much attention at all is my Zelda fic, and even then, only one person still seems to be following it). Of course, I'll try to get in some reading as well between my own writing. :P

Hey everyone, what's happening? Whoa, lot so topics.

Going back to religion, I wanted to go a little more in depth.

Like said before, I'm a Theist, meaning that I don't follow a specific religion, but I believe in God.

I picked this because I was getting tired of all the religions out there, always so demanding and sort of getting away from the main point- God. So I got rid of ALL my religious beliefs, and became an atheist. But for some reason, it's like my mind couldn't process it. I mean, whenever something good happened, I found the next words out of my mouth to be "Thank you God" or when something went wrong "Help me God" I became completely confused, so I went on the Internet and wanted to find a religion which I thought would suit me.

I found that I almost became a Buddhist. One thing I really hated about religions were they always had these stupid things to believe that didn't make sense AT ALL to me. Buddhism was different because it made a lot of sense. There were nine steps to achieving total happiness, or nirvana. The nine steps were pretty legit, too, things like respecting nature and being nice to others and stuff like that. I saw in the first sentence on the Wikipedia page that it said "Buddhism is a form of theism" or something like that. Confused, I clicked the link to theism, and after reading about it, thought it was the best option. I didn't need any of those strict and demanding religions that taught things that barely made any sense. I didn't need to denounce my belief in God either. Being a Theist was perfect for me.

I figured out that there was three main reasons I wanted to become one.

1)I was afraid that if there was a God, what he would do to me for not believing
    2)I couldn't bare the thought of no afterlife. Death simply couldn't be the end of the line. I want to see what I left behind, the legacy I created.
    3)I need someone to believe in. There just can't be all of these amazing things in the world without someone from above.

Yeah, so that's my religious beliefs, anyway. Sorry if I got carried away ^^

Blog Entries
    Add Flaze on Facebook

One thing I always believed is that, if god is so nice and perfect and understanding, I don't think he'll really be all that pissed if you don't believe in him. I mean has there really been a god that has told people to believe in them no matter what? remember that all these readings like the bible and other books were written by people they could've changed things, in fact it is a known fact that the church has actually changed the bible a lot over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Llama_Guy View Post
    Personally, I find that religion is merely the symptom here, not the cause. There's a bunch of human evils, such as xenophobia, lust for power and control, and so on, that are the causes; religion is merely a ploy through which one can act out these evils. I strongly believe that even without religion, there could be conflicts between the Middle East and the West, the New World would have been conquered, and so forth.

But if religion were to be removed, one would also need to remove a very important part of the human mind; spirituality. This could have other, far-stretching consequences for both our psychology and society, as well.

In general, while religion is used for much evil, it is also used for much good - and in later years, thanks to a gradual enlightenment of society, religion finds itself unable to impose its dogmatic views on the people; as such it gets less and less "evil", and more and more "good." This means, basically, that in a hundred years what remains of religion will be in a much more benevolent form than today. Thus I don't actuively oppose religion as much as I oppose those who use it for evil (be that Tea Party members or Al Quaida members).
    Oh my goodness, Llama_Guy, it is the most satisfying, beautiful, precious moment when one posts a condensed and simplified account of one's sophisticated understanding of the world and someone else then not only comprehends but also shares the same advanced beliefs about the world on which that fragment rests.

In short, yes, I do agree with you. Religion is not a cause of evil, but evil people do abuse the existence of faith, usually for social, economic and political reasons. In the case of the New World, the reason for it was a multitude of complex circumstantial factors, which can be expressed in their simplest form as the existence of conquistador knights who'd just reached veterancy having destroyed the Caliphate of Cordoba - which I feel was a great tragedy and a decline in human history - needing a new land to explore and subdue, and riches to plunder. In my post I was referring to the use of religion to justify the genocide against many Mesoamerican and S. American native peoples. Religious sanctioning, if you will. The crusades, the invasion of England by Normandy, the later Spanish attempt at invasion; all were justified in the eyes of God, said the Papacy. One might argue that the west/east conflict is simply about trade. The thirty years war between Sweden and most of Europe was about trade, but the troops fought because they believed it was a war of faith. It goes on.

May I ask - what's the eevee scare all about? It is very common for newbies to have eevee as starters? And if so,why is it so bad? It's a starter pokemon in more than one game...
    It is very common indeed, and it is usually the case simply because the author likes eevee for their multitude of evolutions and their cuteness. It is rare to find an eevee who is a carefully considered choice of pokémon whose presence makes sense, or who isn't ridiculously overpowered and yet empty of personality. It's not so much the existence of eevee, merely their tendency to be poorly handled.

In the fic I'm writing starter pokemon are choosen quite differently. Upon graduating from Trainer's School at age 13, there's this ceremony where the kids get their starter pokemon (based on their person, as read by a pokemon capable of such (e.g. a garveoir)), While there are many pokemon that aren't given away, there's a great variety in which starter pokemon they end up with (main charcater has a ralts, for example). I like this concept because otherwise every trainer should have a starter pokemon in their team, which they clearly don't (and I refuse to believe that 99% of all trainers send their starters to rot in the Prof.'s lab).
    I do like that idea very much, for it makes a lot of sense. I always got the impression that in canon, the player character's opportunity to choose from three starters was unusual, and that most trainers began by carefully trying to catch low level pokémon similar to the way the player acts in the safari zones. I've seen other explanations too, from simply being rich enough to buy one, or inheriting one, or stealing one. The games even show us a 'normal' child's first capture in R/S/E with Wally going to the local gym leader for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Red View Post
    1)I was afraid that if there was a God, what he would do to me for not believing
    2)I couldn't bare the thought of no afterlife. Death simply couldn't be the end of the line. I want to see what I left behind, the legacy I created.
    3)I need someone to believe in. There just can't be all of these amazing things in the world without someone from above.
    1) If God was a reasonable, loving and genuinely good being, then he would not punish his creations for failing to believe in him on bad evidence.
    2) I don't disagree with you there.
    3) There are also terrible, horrifying things in the world. If a creator was responsible for everything in this universe, he is guilty of negligence.

Quote Originally Posted by Stellar Haze View Post
    One thing I always believed is that, if god is so nice and perfect and understanding, I don't think he'll really be all that pissed if you don't believe in him. I mean has there really been a god that has told people to believe in them no matter what? remember that all these readings like the bible and other books were written by people they could've changed things, in fact it is a known fact that the church has actually changed the bible a lot over the years.
    Apt words. The current state of the Bible is in constant flux, given how many disagreements about its content exist, and that's just the translation of a second hand account.

commie bastard. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

like what stellar haze said, if there was a god, i believe he wouldn't get angry at people for not believing in him, being homosexual, having an abortion, or all these other social problems most churches ban. i think it's silly; if a god is supposed to be powerful by love, then shouldn't he love everybody? i only think you'd be sent to hell if you killed someone for power, or something of the like. suicide... nah, i still believe you'd get to heaven if you did good in your lifetime.

i think my story, the devil's gift, really gives a sense of how i believed when i was a christian. the god in my story doesn't hate anybody, not even his rebellious brother lucifer. eh, enough of my story. I LIKE ADVERTISING IT OHOHOHO.

tumblr.|ao3.|ff.net.|8tracks.
    .self-assured mutual destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by unrepentantAuthor View Post
    Oh my goodness, Llama_Guy, it is the most satisfying, beautiful, precious moment when one posts a condensed and simplified account of one's sophisticated understanding of the world and someone else then not only comprehends but also shares the same advanced beliefs about the world on which that fragment rests.
    It is delightful, isn't it? (:

In short, yes, I do agree with you. Religion is not a cause of evil, but evil people do abuse the existence of faith, usually for social, economic and political reasons. In the case of the New World, the reason for it was a multitude of complex circumstantial factors, which can be expressed in their simplest form as the existence of conquistador knights who'd just reached veterancy having destroyed the Caliphate of Cordoba - which I feel was a great tragedy and a decline in human history - needing a new land to explore and subdue, and riches to plunder. In my post I was referring to the use of religion to justify the genocide against many Mesoamerican and S. American native peoples. Religious sanctioning, if you will. The crusades, the invasion of England by Normandy, the later Spanish attempt at invasion; all were justified in the eyes of God, said the Papacy. One might argue that the west/east conflict is simply about trade. The thirty years war between Sweden and most of Europe was about trade, but the troops fought because they believed it was a war of faith. It goes on.
    Yes, exactly. Faith can be used to justify pretty much everything, since religion in its most base form encompasses everything. And then again, in a dogmatic society the people, through lack of consciousness, are more easily swayed by such grand concepts - for when your life is set in stone as a poor peasant, how tempting is not the promise of a paradise - if you only behave, believe and serve greater men you can have... everything. And for a rich man, who knows that breaking his faith will lead not only to the loss of a place in paradise, but also something much more simple and relevant - his worldly goods. There are so many reasons why God and religion can be used to justify whatever you want, and in the end it boils down to an unenlightened belief that if you jsut do this and that, like the scriptures say, then you'll have something better - no only is it better, you'll have everything - a paradise - waiting for you.

It is very common indeed, and it is usually the case simply because the author likes eevee for their multitude of evolutions and their cuteness. It is rare to find an eevee who is a carefully considered choice of pokémon whose presence makes sense, or who isn't ridiculously overpowered and yet empty of personality. It's not so much the existence of eevee, merely their tendency to be poorly handled.
    Yeah, I would assume as much. Unfortunately such fears, grounded in device X being handled poorly by 99% of all writers, leads to an equal amount of readers shunning device X, even when it's written by one of those 1% who handles it well.

Quote Originally Posted by Red
    2) I don't disagree with you there.
    I slightly disagree, in a way. I cannot bear the thought of eternal existence in an after life any more than I can bear the thought of not existing at all. Both are, when considered, frightening concepts that drastically changes how you perceive yourself, the world; everything - if I were to live forever then the foundations of living life like I do would be so different I'm not sure I could adapt. Similarly, the thought of never waking up again, having an eternal, dreamless sleep, is so frightening I almost want the second one.

If I were to believe in something out of comfort, it would be reincarnation, where you never fade away into nothingness, yet rebirth ensures you technically don't "live forever", not in the sense one usually associates it with. But in the end, I think that you cannot do anything about what's after death. You live forever, you find a way to adapt, you have all the time in the world to do so anyway. If you disappear, well, you won't actually notice that you disappear.

The most frightening thought regarding death, which struck me once, is if your last awake moment is perceived as an eternity by you, leaving you with an eternity to sit there, still not being able to do nothing but contemplate everything and go crazy from it. Not realistic, but it's an interesting and scary thought.

I do like that idea very much, for it makes a lot of sense. I always got the impression that in canon, the player character's opportunity to choose from three starters was unusual, and that most trainers began by carefully trying to catch low level pokémon similar to the way the player acts in the safari zones. I've seen other explanations too, from simply being rich enough to buy one, or inheriting one, or stealing one. The games even show us a 'normal' child's first capture in R/S/E with Wally going to the local gym leader for help.
    Thanks!

And that's very true - I keep forgetting Wally, but it shows very clearly, and canonically, that you necessarily don't start out with either of the three. I think some games explain that you only get the starter pokemon as a favor, or, in the case of Elm, to help you bring the parcel to Mr. Pokemon. And then in the end, since you developed a bond with it, you were allowed to keep it. The same thing happened in RSE when you picked the pokemon to protect Prof. Birch.

I like those other ideas too, and in a world not bound by game mechanics, I don't see why not either of those, or a thousand others, can't be real.

As for a God who cares: I enjoy the concept of cosmicism: That the world doesn't care about us, we're small and insignificant. Why should anyone care about us - especially so a divine and omnipotent being? A sufficiently advanced alien race would to us seem like gods, much like if ants had sentience they would probably view us as gods. But would they care? Do we care about ants? No, not really.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur C. Clarke
    Sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    ^_^ And this, I think, is what religion's problem has been throughout all the centuries. They see things they can't understand, and they call it God's work. In this day and age, however, the God of the Gaps is becoming less and less significant as science continues to fill those gaps at an astounding pace.
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Exactly. Like I pointed out, a sufficiently advanced alien race would appear unto us as gods. I wonder, then, how we would be perceived if we took a machine gun, went back a thousand years in time and used it as war. Someone doing that would certainly be considered a divine incarnate of war. Or maybe a car. Or anything like that. The thought is, honestly, quite intriguing.

And this very awesome interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson shows how very easily the god of the gaps is utter garbage and nonsense. He also makes a very good point in that he doesn't care about your beliefs, so long as you keep curious, keep wanting to find a natural answer. The moment the god of the gaps takes a way your curiosity however, you're not worth anything.

"If that's how you want to invoke your evidence for god, then god is an ever-receding pocket of scientific ignorance." That line from him very much shows how the god of the gaps sucks big-time.
    "People like you and me overcame the Neanderthals. People like you and me overcame the Ice Age"

"You can hold [the brain] in the palm of your hands - and it can contemplate the vastness of interstellar space"

"Along some paths of cosmic discovery there are times when, at least for now, one must be content to love the questions themselves"

The Symphony of Science; a tribute to the marvels of science and nature.

Damn it, everybody has me so confused now. I want to believe in God, I don't want to be punished for not liking him. I also need someone to believe in. I'm not a bad person, either, and I don't plan to be, but...

My mind is so full of fuck right now...

commie bastard. an illegible mess.'s Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow an illegible mess. On Twitter Add an illegible mess. on Facebook
    Follow an illegible mess. on Tumblr Visit an illegible mess.'s Youtube Channel

i'm sure you aren't going to hell if you don't believe in him. just don't even think of that, because you're not close to dying at all.

tumblr.|ao3.|ff.net.|8tracks.
    .self-assured mutual destruction.

I know I'm not anywhere near dying, none of us are actually, but I have that mind, you know, that ENDLESS curiosity, that doesn't stop at nothing. Let me tell you it's caused some problems before.

So, basically, I think of everything. No exceptions.